• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lightning sign Dan Girardi

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lightning have signed Dan Girardi to a 2 year deal worth $6 mill and his cap hit will stand at $3 AAV. I particulary don't like this signing, there were other options out there on the blueline that I preffered. Girardi is a player on the decline and is nothing more than a 3rd pairing defenseman. For me this signing doesn't address our top 4 and improve our defense for that matter, I don't see Girardi as an upgrade over Garrison. Maybe Yzerman will still look to improve our defense but i'm not a fan of the signing of Girardi.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Danny, this addition disappoints me as well. Took the cheap way out, I am afraid. I don't think that the front office is really considering the fact that Vasi is not seasoned. The Lightning allow a lot of SOG in comparison to much of the NHL. In his first season as a starter, I don't see him being ready for this. I just have troubles seeing this young goalie as an elite. I see a lot of pucks getting behind him with as many SOG as this team allows. But the village idiot loves his offense. Another big mess up I am afraid. Chomp chomp giggle giggle

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reflecting on this deal I'd say i'm content with the signing. Girardi is nothing more than a 3rd pairing guy now who could occasionally play top 4 minutes if needed (he did in NY last year). If you think of the market though, he was the best righty shot defenseman available after Shattenkirk (something that we needed). It is a big drop off from Shattenkirk to Girardi but let's say we signed Shattenkirk yesterday to the deal he signed with the Rangers and I thought they overpayed him. A couple years down the line, we would put ourselves in jeporady of losing either Kuch or Vasy due to being up against the cap. With Girardi you get a player who is not a big signing but a safe option as the contract isn't a big commitment, he's someone who can do a job for the next couple of years and provide experience with pairing him with a prospect either Koekkoek or Sergachev.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know Danny, everything I've read about him and the fact that the Rangers bought out his contract makes me believe that he will be a liability. A liability on a team that already allows way more than the league average SOG. And with a shaky at times first year starter net-minder that at times lacks confidence Girardi is a piece to the solution puzzle? :gaah::L:hellno:

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They bought him out due to his play not living up to his contract which had 3 years left at $5.5 mill per season. Would the Rangers have kept him if he had 2 years left at $3 mill per season which they Lightning have just signed him for? I guess we'll never know but obviosuly there would of been more of a chance they would of kept him. He was playing top 4 for the Rangers were as for the Bolts he's going to be asked to play on the 3rd pairing and play his gritty, stay at home game and stay within his comfort zone. He'll play an important part in helping the development of his partner which will likely be either Koekkoek or Sergachev.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with this signing can only see him as a low bottom bottom pairing defenseman girardi and his two year term won't damage our salary cap future.