• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Leighton Vander Esch

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson was good, but he only had a few "great" years. You guys need to let it go. I was never all that riled up over passing on him even on draft day. We pass on guys every year that I want.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson was good, but he only had a few "great" years. You guys need to let it go. I was never all that riled up over passing on him even on draft day. We pass on guys every year that I want.

Ok we won't ever talk about past disspointments in the draft. Got it. Relax. No one is mentioning this every second. Jeez!!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok we won't ever talk about past disspointments in the draft. Got it. Relax. No one is mentioning this every second. Jeez!!
Wow, overreact much?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing LVE and Carpenter have in common is skin tone

And that they were both mid first round picks, and their obvious strengths are pass coverage. Carpenter was a OLB and LVE should be IMO. We will see about the rest.

And to be clear, I never said LVE would be Carpenter just that I thought he reminds me a lot more of Carpenter than Urlacher. Also that I think his career trajectory will be closer to Carpenter's than Urlacher's. I did not make the Urlacher comparison originally, others did in places other than this thread and I commented on it.

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this is true or not, but I think this is the first time I read this coming from "sources". Maybe it's a good thing James was taken because if we passed on him we'd be hearing the comparisons from certain fans for 20 years if it didn't work out.

Vander Esch was the 19th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys. Even with Derwin James, Tremaine Edmunds, Harold Landry, and Isaiah Wynn still on the board within a few picks of the Cowboys being on the clock, multiple sources said that the Cowboys were selecting Vander Esch no matter who was there. That just proves how much they loved the former Boise State Bronco.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this is true or not, but I think this is the first time I read this coming from "sources". Maybe it's a good thing James was taken because if we passed on him we'd be hearing the comparisons from certain fans for 20 years if it didn't work out.

Vander Esch was the 19th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys. Even with Derwin James, Tremaine Edmunds, Harold Landry, and Isaiah Wynn still on the board within a few picks of the Cowboys being on the clock, multiple sources said that the Cowboys were selecting Vander Esch no matter who was there. That just proves how much they loved the former Boise State Bronco.

The lead up to the draft had some obvious signs that Dallas was going to select LVE. They spent the most time with him of any prospect, not missing a single opportunity to visit with LVE. It was so obvious that even I predicted it on this board in the draft thread a month before the draft - and if I can call it from my desk chair with no inside information, then I imagine every industry pro saw it coming a mile away.

Hopefully this guy is the real deal, he has all the tools to get the job done. Gonna be very interested to watch him this season.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lead up to the draft had some obvious signs that Dallas was going to select LVE. They spent the most time with him of any prospect, not missing a single opportunity to visit with LVE. It was so obvious that even I predicted it on this board in the draft thread a month before the draft - and if I can call it from my desk chair with no inside information, then I imagine every industry pro saw it coming a mile away.

Hopefully this guy is the real deal, he has all the tools to get the job done. Gonna be very interested to watch him this season.
I look at the guy like this...in the last 5-6 years, how many 1st round bust have he had and how many studs? According to everything I've heard, the Cowboys loved this kid from Stephen and Will to the scouting dept to the coaching staff. I think he will be a Pro Bowler early and often

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still like the pick.
Character and want too still matters.

However, if he's slow outta the gate, some here will start a shit storm about the pick with the I told you so's
:rolleyes2:

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If derwin James was sit ting there then I would have been angry. But derwin was off the board. The thing is vander esch is a freak athlete and has great length and fits what this defense does. I really don't understand why some of the media is picking the Cowboys to go 7-9. The talent on this roster is by far the best I have seen in a very long time.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lve will quickly prove to be an upgrade over hitchens.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lve will quickly prove to be an upgrade over hitchens.

Many people said this about Jaylon Smith last year...and Hitchens vastly outplayed him even after suffering a devastating injury. I don't understand why so many people here bang on Hitchens as often as they do. The guy was solid from day 1 and worked himself into an above average MLB in his time here. Sure Hitchens had his flaws, but so does every player.

The odds that LVE outplays Hitchens of last year, or the Hitchens of this year is very unlikely IMO.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at the guy like this...in the last 5-6 years, how many 1st round bust have he had and how many studs? According to everything I've heard, the Cowboys loved this kid from Stephen and Will to the scouting dept to the coaching staff. I think he will be a Pro Bowler early and often

I have no problem with the front office, and their recent success absolutely has earned them the benefit of the doubt. Of course I hope to see all Cowboys players succeed. That said, no one is right all the time, and I just happen to think this is one of the times when they are wrong. Believe me, if LVE comes out lighting it up I'll be the first one to eat crow, and will do so happily.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many people said this about Jaylon Smith last year...and Hitchens vastly outplayed him even after suffering a devastating injury. I don't understand why so many people here bang on Hitchens as often as they do. The guy was solid from day 1 and worked himself into an above average MLB in his time here. Sure Hitchens had his flaws, but so does every player.

The odds that LVE outplays Hitchens of last year, or the Hitchens of this year is very unlikely IMO.
Hitchens was really good at stopping the run but he never stood out in pass defense. He was solid, but he got way overpaid in FA.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 5 games I really like what I see from LVE. Very instinctive. Crazy high motor. Great length and is a tackling machine. If he gits the weight room he is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Couple that with Jaylon and we have two potential pro bowlers at Lb. Last night Jaylon looked like an all pro. He hits hard AF and that speed is crazy. That play on Watson at the end of the half was the best play I have seen on defense for us all season. I got to say that the Cowboys should blitz him even more

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another game where Lee was on the sideline and we didn't seem to miss too much in the middle of the field. Some has to do with the QB, but loving the fact that there isn't a night/day difference when Lee is on the field or sideline. Smith and LVE have allowed Lee to hopefully take his time to get fully well.