• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2018 Off-Season Thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Tolliver, but you're talking about other options in place of who the Lakers did sign. They didn't sign a combo forward, and to do so in place of Rondo/Lance/McGee wouldn't make sense. Otherwise, Tolliver would've been a good choice, I agree. More of an additional move than in place of one of those three though.

Any vets signed this year that aren't max contract superstar types are support players behind the young core (with the exception of KCP, who will start over Hart for now). Ball, Ingram, and Kuzma were going to get big minutes regardless of any acquisitions (other than trades that could move them off the roster). They went for offense in the draft, and defense in free agency for a balanced total approach.

Whether or not those other options you mentioned were willing to sign one year deals with the Lakers to potentially be backups to the young core can't really be known without being on the inside, but I'm going to guess that at least some of them weren't looking for that kind of role.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Tolliver, but you're talking about other options in place of who the Lakers did sign. They didn't sign a combo forward, and to do so in place of Rondo/Lance/McGee wouldn't make sense. Otherwise, Tolliver would've been a good choice, I agree. More of an additional move than in place of one of those three though.

Any vets signed this year that aren't max contract superstar types are support players behind the young core (with the exception of KCP, who will start over Hart for now). Ball, Ingram, and Kuzma were going to get big minutes regardless of any acquisitions (other than trades that could move them off the roster). They went for offense in the draft, and defense in free agency for a balanced total approach.

Whether or not those other options you mentioned were willing to sign one year deals with the Lakers to potentially be backups to the young core can't really be known without being on the inside, but I'm going to guess that at least some of them weren't looking for that kind of role.

Not sure I buy that they are there to be support players. Rondo is expects to start.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I buy that they are there to be support players. Rondo is expects to start.

Rondo expects to compete for the starting position. There's a difference. Rondo is also good with being a mentor, particularly for Lonzo. Part of the reason he's a Laker is because as Magic said, they didn't have a mentor for Lonzo last year. He was left to basically figure it out for himself.

Lonzo was pretty much handed the starting position last year because there was no one to really challenge him.

Rondo is here to challenge, push and mentor him. Magic wasn't kidding when he told Lonzo that this will be the biggest summer of his life.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Rondo open the season as the starting pg. But if he is still the starter at the all star break, I think that will be a signal that he's not responding well to the challenge and the Lakers will move on from him asap.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea TJF12. The contracts of those three vets are basically one-year deals with options. Lots of flexibility for the Lakers for 2019 if all of the scenarios the Lakers have envisioned don't pan out.

Last edited:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rondo expects to compete for the starting position. There's a difference. Rondo is also good with being a mentor, particularly for Lonzo. Part of the reason he's a Laker is because as Magic said, they didn't have a mentor for Lonzo last year. He was left to basically figure it out for himself.

Lonzo was pretty much handed the starting position last year because there was no one to really challenge him.

Rondo is here to challenge, push and mentor him. Magic wasn't kidding when he told Lonzo that this will be the biggest summer of his life.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Rondo open the season as the starting pg. But if he is still the starter at the all star break, I think that will be a signal that he's not responding well to the challenge and the Lakers will move on from him asap.

There's not a difference there. Especially with a guy like Rondo, who is known to be arrogant and difficult. Rondo's the type of dude that just doesn't think he's the best PG on the team. He thinks he's the best player on the team, including over Lebron. Not just the best player, either, but the best coach. He's had that attitude his entire career. Compete for the starting job means he thinks he should be the starter. He's also quite petty and known to hold grudges so if there is even a perceived slight, he's not above causing problems in super passive aggressive ways.

And Lonzo was handed the starting job because two seconds after Magic drafted him he was already talking about how he'd have his jersey up in the rafters. If Magic was looking for a mentor, he should have stopped blowing smoke up Lonzo's ass and did it himself. If he really thinks that was a problem for Lonzo its largely of his own doing. No one outside of the Ball Family coddled and praised Lonzo more than Magic Johnson

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's not a difference there.

I disagree.

Rondo's the type of dude that just doesn't think he's the best PG on the team. He thinks he's the best player on the team, including over Lebron. Not just the best player, either, but the best coach. He's had that attitude his entire career. Compete for the starting job means he thinks he should be the starter. He's also quite petty and known to hold grudges so if there is even a perceived slight, he's not above causing problems in super passive aggressive ways.

He's also been a very good mentor for younger players.

And Lonzo was handed the starting job because two seconds after Magic drafted him he was already talking about how he'd have his jersey up in the rafters

Lonzo was handed the starting job because there was no other choice. Who was going to start over him? Tyler Ennis?

If Magic was looking for a mentor, he should have stopped blowing smoke up Lonzo's ass and did it himself. If he really thinks that was a problem for Lonzo its largely of his own doing. No one outside of the Ball Family coddled and praised Lonzo more than Magic Johnson

He needed a mentor on the team. That's how it works best. Magic mentoring him as far as advice, etc. is fine. But actual in game mentoring can only happen with another player who's actually playing.

Cracks me up how people suddenly want to criticize Magic and Pelinka and think they know more.

Considering what they walked into and what they've accomplished so far, I'd say they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what the Lakers can do. Swap Deng and cash for Whiteside. I am sure Magic and Riley can get something done.

NBA trade rumors: Hassan Whiteside is available, but the Heat can't find an appealing offer

No thank you.

There are several problems with this.

1. Whiteside has 2 years left on his deal at $24 and 27 million. Doing that trade pretty well eliminates the Lakers ability to add any max guys next off-season.

2. While Whiteside is a nice rim protector and rebounder, he isn't much use anywhere else. This, in a league that has become increasingly perimeter oriented. This limits the situations he can be used in which is part of why he became disgruntled in Miami.

3. If the Lakers are going to chase a big, they'd be better served going after AD or Boogie (assuming he's close to pre-injury Boogie) next off-season.

I'm not saying that the Lakers couldn't use Whiteside, they could. But not at $24 and 27 million. His skill set just doesn't warrant that kind of money. Especially since he can't seem to understand the "why" part of his playing time being reduced and is willing to become a locker room problem over it.

I can see the point of trying it since he would become an expiring contract at the same time as Deng, but with his attitude issue, he may be harder to move. Plus, what else are the Lakers giving up to get him. If the Heat aren't happy with what they've been offered so far, Deng sure isn't going to get them excited.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, I was being facetious TJF12. An attempt at a little levity in the era of players over-exaggerating their basketball importance. Geez, dude, take a break.:lol:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're really stretching yourself to say all of those players were out of the Lakers range considering the amount of cap room they started with (and some other stretches as well*). They're all better players and better fits because they can provide shooting and defense. They can talk about defensive toughness and depth all they want but it doesn't change that Rondo has been a shell of himself for years and that Lance has never been good to begin with (only been competent in Indy, a disaster everywhere else). The better players out there weren't out of the Lakers range. The Lakers chose not to go for them. That's a mistake if you're actually trying to win this year.

The fact that those players are what we came back with tells me they aren't that serious about competing this year. They're just getting players to fill a slot for one year, ride the younger guys (or have something in place if they trade the younger guys this season), and put something better together next year. They can't outright say that because no team ever admits to punting a year (unless your the Sixers, TRUST THE PROCESS). That's fine in a vacuum. But when you have Lebron, you should go for it every year, imo, especially given his age. They could have still gotten some of those other players on one year deals with the cap space they had, kept the younger guys, and been in a better position this year and down the road.

I just have a really hard time seeing how Rondo, Stephensen, and McGee are the best the team can come up with.

*Quick couple of points: Mbah A Moute has shot better the last couple of years and is really good from corner spots. His last year with the Clippers and in Houston they were better with him on the floor. Also, Tolliver can play either forward spot and in a real crunch wouldn't be the worst smallball center. He's got some versatility. Not sure why you think him being a PF takes him out of the discussion unless you're talking exclusively about guard pick ups.
You missed Rondo in the postseason I see.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, I was being facetious TJF12. An attempt at a little levity in the era of players over-exaggerating their basketball importance. Geez, dude, take a break.:lol:
In fairness.....we aren't used to levity and humor when it comes to you, Retro.

No offense or anything. I'm a huge smartass/funny guy and on more than 1 occasion I have thought, "Dang. Retro needs to lighten up."

Funny story, not sure if u remember. Shortly after I joined in 2014....we were chatting on Lakers game thread and I said something silly.....you said watch it, DJ.

I noticed the mod beneath your name and immediately canned any sarcasm/funny business.

:pound:

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really like Hart and think he'll replace KCP eventually. Unless, they sign a really good SG next summer.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, I like what the Lakers have done.

James was the centerpiece and everything else was adding defense and toughness. Something we needed since we were basically a finesse team last season.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness.....we aren't used to levity and humor when it comes to you, Retro.

No offense or anything. I'm a huge smartass/funny guy and on more than 1 occasion I have thought, "Dang. Retro needs to lighten up."

Funny story, not sure if u remember. Shortly after I joined in 2014....we were chatting on Lakers game thread and I said something silly.....you said watch it, DJ.

I noticed the mod beneath your name and immediately canned any sarcasm/funny business.

:pound:
You have a point DJ and yes I do remember that event! Sorry TJF12.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
France is going to do it!!!!

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait for next season.

The first half won't be as good as the second half. Gonna take a while for players to figure it out but we should be in the postseason for the first time in a long time.

Maybe the game threads will be popping.....

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, I like what the Lakers have done.

James was the centerpiece and everything else was adding defense and toughness. Something we needed since we were basically a finesse team last season.
I agree 100%. Defense needed to be added to this team. Can the season begin today???

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%. Defense needed to be added to this team. Can the season begin today???
And even if we don't trade for Leomard....we can add a max FA next season.

Not so fast.....football is creeping closer and the Bruins and Raiders both have reason for optimism.