• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyle Seager's struggles

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been in the middle of nowhere for about 2 months, and didn't see a conversation regarding our "franchise third basemen"

I call him that because we gave him a huge contract and he has been starting there since 2011. His performance has declined.

He's currently on pace for a standard number of doubles, home runs and RBIs, but his average has declined to levels he has never experienced before.

2016: .278/.359/.499 30 HRs, 36 2B
2017: .247/.323/.450 27 HRs, 33 2B
2018: .229/.276/.419 26 HRs, 37 2B (projected estimates based on his current pace)

He is on pace to be paid:
2018: $19m
2019: $19.5m
2020: $19.5m
2021: $18.5m
2020: Team option

He's still at a young age, but seeing that his performance has declined at a steady pace and he picked up considerable weight last year makes me worry.

How do you all think we should proceed? Obviously nothing we can do now, but his struggles haven't really been talked about.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone was talking about Ryon Healy well I was saying Kyle Seager whom nobody is talking is stinkin up the place this season he is more like a 7th hole hitter. Not much we can do now we are pretty much stuck with him. There is no way he isnt trying out there with the mariners in great position to make the playoffs for the first time in over a decade.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least he doesn't have Chris Davis type numbers

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seager has bugged the shit out me for a long long time. So he gets a bomb once in awhile, and scatters in SOME hits once in a while. His gold glove is history with the errors of recent. I got so tired of him doing such a great job killing any rallies we were trying to put together. Grounding into DP's is his specialty. :gaah:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone was talking about Ryon Healy well I was saying Kyle Seager whom nobody is talking is stinkin up the place this season he is more like a 7th hole hitter. Not much we can do now we are pretty much stuck with him. There is no way he isnt trying out there with the mariners in great position to make the playoffs for the first time in over a decade.

My biggest concern is that I noticed he put on a substantial amount of weight in 2017. He had to take time off because of the birth of his child. I wonder if raising a family is now starting to take a toll on him.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I can tell, Seager is slightly above as an overall average + player. He makes great defensive plays, makes occasional errors, gets a bomb once in awhile, occasional hits, but that's about it. Offensively, he can't be depended on when his bat is really needed. It wouldn't bother me a bit if he was replaced. His salary contract for what we get is absolutely crazy and way out of whack. I liked Beltre a hell of a lot more and didn't drain the budget with a overinflated contract. Was it Z or Dipoto that gave Seager that contract? I can't remember :noidea:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you all think we should proceed? Obviously nothing we can do now, but his struggles haven't really been talked about.

Its not really new in my eyes. I was asking similar questions twelve months ago. Only solution is build a lineup strong enough to bat him 7th. He's not going anywhere. The contract stinks and his offense has been mediocre almost 2 calendar years so I don't see any reason to expect different. Control what you can control which is put a mediocre hitter in a mediocre spot in the batting order.:noidea:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Neither have been great. Healy has been slightly better offensively and Seagar slightly better defensively. But Seagar is the one making the money so he deserves to be called out more.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play Cano at 3rd and bench his ass

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL- If we could-send him down to Tacoma to work on his batting- that would accomplish 2 things, open a spot on the roster and working on his offense. Wouldn't bother me one little bit. :D Also, might let some of the air out of his overinflated ego too.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been in the middle of nowhere for about 2 months, and didn't see a conversation regarding our "franchise third basemen"

I call him that because we gave him a huge contract and he has been starting there since 2011. His performance has declined.

He's currently on pace for a standard number of doubles, home runs and RBIs, but his average has declined to levels he has never experienced before.

2016: .278/.359/.499 30 HRs, 36 2B
2017: .247/.323/.450 27 HRs, 33 2B
2018: .229/.276/.419 26 HRs, 37 2B (projected estimates based on his current pace)

He is on pace to be paid:
2018: $19m
2019: $19.5m
2020: $19.5m
2021: $18.5m
2020: Team option

He's still at a young age, but seeing that his performance has declined at a steady pace and he picked up considerable weight last year makes me worry.

I can tell you as a Dodger fan his brother has also had his own struggles. As these guys come into the league the pitchers havent figured them out. It really is all about if they are good enough to actually adjust. Yasiel Puig is a prime example. He rocked the league early on and since then he has been an average player. 5 tools but not being used to his full ability. Time will tell on Corey. Hopefully he doesnt go the way of Kyle, yikes.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle's biggest issue to me, is he hasn't adjusted to the shift. He's not getting pitches early in the count for him to try to beat then gets down to 2 strikes. Defensively, to me, he hasn't been terrible outside a few games. He was gold glove material to start the year, then has struggled recently. Good news is it has mostly been poor mental mistakes which is correctable.

But yes, there is an issue they need him to figure out because he isn't tradable and it is terrible for the organization to have $47 million of your budget to guys who aren't contributing.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you as a Dodger fan his brother has also had his own struggles. As these guys come into the league the pitchers havent figured them out. It really is all about if they are good enough to actually adjust. Yasiel Puig is a prime example. He rocked the league early on and since then he has been an average player. 5 tools but not being used to his full ability. Time will tell on Corey. Hopefully he doesnt go the way of Kyle, yikes.
Puig has been above average 5 out of his 6 years in the league.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle's biggest issue to me, is he hasn't adjusted to the shift. He's not getting pitches early in the count for him to try to beat then gets down to 2 strikes. Defensively, to me, he hasn't been terrible outside a few games. He was gold glove material to start the year, then has struggled recently. Good news is it has mostly been poor mental mistakes which is correctable.

But yes, there is an issue they need him to figure out because he isn't tradable and it is terrible for the organization to have $47 million of your budget to guys who aren't contributing.

I agree that they are mental mistakes but I don't think they are correctable. He is a head case. He gets stuck in his own head.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good insight. Thing with Kyle is I just wonder if part of it is mental and/or issues with conditioning. I only bring that up because he looks substantially heavier and slower than he was in 2016. There's only so much speculation that can be had when it comes to Kyle. He has always been a streaky player in the past, but he has just been consistently mediocre this season.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe the shift plays a role, but the K rate is the bigger concern for me. His K rate is currently at 20.7% which is considerably higher than his 17.1% career rate.