• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kopitar's Case for Hart Trophy

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read and fully agree.

Offense got him in the conversation, but can Kopitar’s two-way game guide him to the Hart? | The Hockey News

He carried this team on his back all season long, especially with Carter being out for 75% of it. Huge bounce back year after a disappointing 2016-17 and I feel he deserves to be in the conversation with McJesus and everyone else.

If he won this and the Selke (I feel he is worthy of this too - he is up against top lines nightly, big minutes on the PK and has won it already proving he is solid defensively), he would be only the second player in NHL history to win both trophies (Fedorov) in the same season.

As the article states if the Kings make it in he has a serious case.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who doesn't think he is deserving doesn't watch him play. What is really telling is what other players have to say about playing against him or Doughty....points are points and you need to score to win, but frustrating the other teams top players and keeping them under wraps is just as important.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My vote is for Kopi, but I bet Hall gets it. He gets the East coast exposure. All the talking heads on NHL network couldn't stop talking about him and his season.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My vote is for Kopi, but I bet Hall gets it. He gets the East coast exposure. All the talking heads on NHL network couldn't stop talking about him and his season.

Hall had a great season, no question. Last season he was still seething over being traded from the Oilers, and Larsson had a decent first season in Edmonton but this season it went 180º with Hall embracing NJ and now a Hart candidate while Larsson had an up and down season with a back injury, then I believe his father's death. Pretty amazing what a short 12 months can do to a player (or a person for that matter).

A few things stick out to me that differentiate Kopitar from these two that should make him a clear cut winner. His TOI led all NHL forwards, he is a complete 3 zone player who played hard minutes on the PK as well, he made everyone around him better and he put up 92 points without any secondary scoring help meaning he was relied upon heavily - he did it all, not only when it was a situational advantage.

There is a reason why he is not only a Hart Finalist but also a Selke Finalist - while Hall and McKinnon offensively put up the points I don't think they did it all but I'm almost positive all this will fall on deaf ears because he isn't flashy like the other two; he is old school and got it done.

I was just perusing some fan sites and this one caught my attention:

Nathan MacKinnon should win the Hart Trophy

Some things jumped out at me:

First off, we have to take a look at what the Hart Trophy represents. The most valuable player. Value of a hockey player is extremely hard to determine. The Hart has gone to the highest scoring player many times, but that doesn’t mean that getting the most points in a season makes you a shoe-in.

Correct. That is why Kopitar's 92 points, worst of the three (97 McKinnon 93 Hall), isn't the only thing that got him on the list. He isn't a one trick pony, he is arguably the most complete, two-way forward in the game. Neither of those two players can say that.

I believe that value to a hockey team can come in many forms. Of course, it helps to contribute on the score sheet, but it also goes far beyond that. MacKinnon was the driving force for this Avalanche team, even on the nights that he didn’t find the back of the net. Especially after the Avalanche traded away Matt Duchene who finished second on the team in scoring last season, MacKinnon single-handedly willed this team up the standings.

As did Kopitar. He just came off the worst statistical season of his career, his first year as a Captain where he didn't do a good job and a new 8 year/$80 million deal where he made $13 million in cash - that is some unreal pressure.

The deal is expectations, and these are set depending on where the team is. No one expected the Avalanche to make the POs but many did expect LA to make the POs with the high dollar roster they have. In that regard, I think McKinnon did a great job and he certainly did help push the Avalanche into the WC2 slot. He is a phenomenal player and I would love to see him in LA if they ever had a chance to get him or a player like him.

However, and we have all been down this road when the Kings were rebuilding 10-12 years ago, it's a lot easier to play loose during a rebuild than it is when the league is watching. It's easy to rack up the points, goals, etc. (see Patrick O'Sullivan, Erik Ersberg, etc.) when expectations are lower but it gets harder as the team improves.

When there are expectations - and there are in LA vs Colorado - it's a different game, different pressure, different responsibility. If Kopitar doesn't do what he did, the Kings to do not make the POs and the media is all over that citing the payroll, talent, core, failing to meet standards; if McKinnon doesn't do what he did, the Avalanche don't make the POs and the media says "they will be there next year because they are young and an up and coming team" and they get a pass.

Apples and oranges and this has been proven time and time again. Still don't believe me? Look at Edmonton this past season after 2016-17 - case closed.

I also believe that the Hart Trophy should take the players supporting cast into consideration. Kucherov is fortunate enough to play on one of the best teams in hockey. He had a two-time Rocket Richard winner in Steven Stamkos on his line for much of the season. Kopitar and Giroux also played on teams with quite a bit more scoring depth than MacKinnon did. The only other player in consideration that played on a comparable team is Taylor Hall.

Jeff Carter anyone? He of the 1/3 of the season played?

=)~~

Kopitar put up 92 points on a team that was pretty much devoid of offense. That in itself is a miracle.

McKinnon's shotgun (Rantanen) had 84 points himself (including 29 goals) and Landeskog had 62 points (including 25 goals). Their first line produced quite well for them, they had 10-10G+ scorers, 3-20G+ scorers and 1 defender (Barrie, 57 points) who put up points. That first line for Colorado was pretty potent and there was depth scoring all they way through to the third line. They ranked 10th overall in offense at 3.11 GF/G. That was with a full roster.

Hall is the closest in terms of surrounding talent compared to LA, he had a 41 point drop off - first in the NHL - between he and his line mate (Hischier, 52 points including 20 goals) and his other line mate Palmieri pulled his load as well (44 points including 24 goals). They were a bit more top heavy than LA but they too managed 10-10G+ scorers, 3-20G+ scorers and 1 defender who put up points (Butcher, 44 points). They ranked 15th on offense at 2.96 GF/G. Quite honestly their numbers match up with LA's the most but they too weren't missing anyone significant for most of the season.

Looking at LA, apart from Kopitar anyone not named Brown or Doughty didn't produce. There was a 31 point drop off - 2nd in the NHL - between Kopitar and his line mate Brown (61 points) and his other FT line mate Iaffalo didn't produce much as the LW1 (9 goals) although he did do a ton of the greasy work.

You then have to go to the second line to find the next highest scoring forward (Toffoli, 47 points by some act of God since he was MIA after Jan 1 with a whopping 6 goals in 4 months). The Kings had 8-10G+ scorers, 3-20G+ scorers and 1 defender who put up big numbers (Doughty, 60 points) while missing their incumbent 2C in Carter and throwing Kempe in as a rookie as the 2C.

My point: while we are all pulling for our own hometown hero to win it, at lease be objective when you post stuff like this because it just makes one look like a homer. Or uneducated. Or both.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument that Kopitar has scoring depth is a joke. I posted some places that he played all year with Iafallo, who had 10 goals this year (10! Total...). 2nd highest scoring forward was Dustin Brown. Carter missed 55 games, and came back still injured (Or re-injured, however you want to slice it *Punny*).

Kopitar lead the #1 PK Unit, #1 Time on Ice and posted careers highs in points in getting this LA Kings team to the Playoffs.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a bit surprised but then not, not a lot of people east of CA watch LA and what little they do they aren't educated enough to make accurate assumptions. We have the benefit of catching a 4pm EST game and not losing any sleep where as these people don't so I get it, but then all that does is show how uninformed they truly are.

Saw this article on THN this morning and the first comment is from a Flyers fan and how Giroux outperformed Kopitar. Sure, if stats is all you're looking for, not to mention EC hockey is free wheeling compared to WC hockey (still, even though teams are morphing into that speed/skill team in the WC more and more) so I would expect Giroux to rack up points, that's the game they play.

Giroux also was moved to LW this season because for the last few years he has not looked good at C. His line mates were Konecny and Coutourier, who took over the 1C slot and had a fine season and that move is what prompted it. He has always been responsible defensively but moving Giroux to LW improved Coutourier's offense and also took the defensive load off Giroux because he looked outmatched the last few years down the middle.

Giroux was also not used on the PK as much, with SHTOI at 64:13 for the year vs Kopitar's 178:22 for the year. Giroux had more of his starts in the offensive zone too than Kopitar did (40% vs 36%). Kopitar was a defensive horse and still managed to put up 92 points, no other forward in the league can boast that. None.

I'm not shitting on Giroux, I like him, but some of these internet mooks should just STFU before I pick holes apart in things quicker than they can reply.

For the new Vegas folks reading....this is a great example of why this board is one of the best sources of information for all things NHL, we don't just focus on LA and actually know things about other teams and players not shown on a stat sheet.

Three worthy candidates for the Hart Trophy – and a fatal flaw with the NHL's MVP award | The Hockey News

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly is like St. Louis to me. Entitled for having accomplished so little.

Like "We're great too!".

Side note, can we get Simmonds back? Toffoli for Simmonds and then Muzzin for Cam Atkinson.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played out just as we all suspected. All 3 were worthy of it, no question, but I don't think Hall should have won it. My money was on McKinnon, then Kopitar and then Hall.

The other two guys had more help than Kopitar did offensively, although Hall's numbers were close to Kopitar's in terms of next closest teammate in points but neither of those guys controlled all 3 zones, faced as stiff defensive competition, put up 92 points without almost any secondary scoring help, played the most minutes of any NHL forward and anchored one of the top PK units in the league. Great to see him win the Selke again however, well earned.

I think Hall was the "popular choice" vote based on his story the last 2 years from Edmonton to NJ but he wasn't as important in all situations to NJ as Kopitar was to LA. Kopitar probably won't reach this level again next season so it's disappointing to see him not rewarded for it especially after how terrible his 2016-17 was all around.

Edmonton got a ton of egg on their face indirectly, not only because they shipped off Hall who just won the Hart and Adam Larsson had a down year on the Oilers blue line both professionally and personally but the 1st round pick that they sent to the Islanders in the Reinhart deal turned out to be Mathew Barzal, who won the Calder last night.

Ouch.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw an article, should have saved and posted it, that said Hall had 9min TOI shorthanded all season.
Most Valuable my ass