• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevon Looney - Newest Warrior addition

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There must have been some huge concerns over this guy's health because his talent warrants a lottery pick. In most mock's they had him anywhere in the 14-22 range. I didn't think he would fall to us, but I'm pretty happy with this pick.

He's exactly the type of player the Warriors covet. He's a long, athletic and versatile player. He doesn't have much of a post game, but he shot 41% from 3 last year for UCLA.

The Warriors won't need any contribution from him next year and I expect him to spend most of the year either getting his body right or playing in the D-League.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the pick. Hopefully, the Warriors have better luck drafting injured guys than the Niners have had.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DraftExpress: According to a NBA executive Kevon Looney was red-flagged with a degenerative back as well as a hip issue. May require surgery down road.

From DraftExpress.com DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.
DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.

Like Draymond Green, he's got a wing-span well over 7 feet, 7' 3.5 "", pretty good for a guy who stands 6' 9". His 41% from 3-pt range is pretty damn good for a guy his size, though his "sample size" is small, just 21 out of 54 shots, and probably many of them were uncontested.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try not to get too excited about lower level NBA draft picks. The Warriors srtuck gold with Draymond and I think Ezeli will be pretty good. But so many of these picks don't pan out. These players come out so young now, they are drafted more on physical skills and potential then what they have accomplished in school.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try not to get too excited about lower level NBA draft picks. The Warriors srtuck gold with Draymond and I think Ezeli will be pretty good. But so many of these picks don't pan out. These players come out so young now, they are drafted more on physical skills and potential then what they have accomplished in school.

What I think may work well with the Warriors is their unique set of really good/great guys and the positive influence that they will have on their younger players (Holiday, Looney). I think that the individual work ethic, one which players like Curry establish, can propell a 30th round pick to end up being a solid starter.

I am much more naive about things like this compared to most of you guys. I have to say, it's such a long shot to make it into the NBA. We're the lucky ones who get to watch the best of the best. There are so many guys who don't make it who just fall by the wayside, or who I suppose just travel around the globe trying to make a living in other countries playing ball.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I think may work well with the Warriors is their unique set of really good/great guys and the positive influence that they will have on their younger players (Holiday, Looney). I think that the individual work ethic, one which players like Curry establish, can propell a 30th round pick to end up being a solid starter.

I am much more naive about things like this compared to most of you guys. I have to say, it's such a long shot to make it into the NBA. We're the lucky ones who get to watch the best of the best. There are so many guys who don't make it who just fall by the wayside, or who I suppose just travel around the globe trying to make a living in other countries playing ball.

No doubt that the Warriors now have a positive environment which helps. But some players just don't have what it takes to make it in the NBA and with players leaving college so early, it becomes even more of a crapshoot. I think back to Anthony Randolph. Had the physical tools and was drafted because of them, but with the basketball IQ of a donut and could never make it. Not saying Looney is like Randolph in anyway, just stating it is hard to tell. I do trust this FO much more to evaluate talent than the under the prior ownership.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA draft is always a crapshoot. For 95% of the guys in the draft, this is the highest their stock will ever be. Everything is based on upside and potential and how their game will translate to the NBA. Looney has tons of upside, but who knows how that will pan out.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt that the Warriors now have a positive environment which helps. But some players just don't have what it takes to make it in the NBA and with players leaving college so early, it becomes even more of a crapshoot. I think back to Anthony Randolph. Had the physical tools and was drafted because of them, but with the basketball IQ of a donut and could never make it. Not saying Looney is like Randolph in anyway, just stating it is hard to tell. I do trust this FO much more to evaluate talent than the under the prior ownership.

Randolph is an LSU player. I remember thinking "man, this guy is gonna be good", but then thinking "what the hell is he doing going to the NBA?" When I thought of how good he was going to be, my thinking was "for LSU", not really thinking about the NBA. So tall, just a nice touch inside. I know he was really lanky and that he probably never put on all that much weight during his NBA career, but what was the big knock on him as an NBAer?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randolph is an LSU player. I remember thinking "man, this guy is gonna be good", but then thinking "what the hell is he doing going to the NBA?" When I thought of how good he was going to be, my thinking was "for LSU", not really thinking about the NBA. So tall, just a nice touch inside. I know he was really lanky and that he probably never put on all that much weight during his NBA career, but what was the big knock on him as an NBAer?

The biggest knock on him was he had a terrible basketball IQ. He had all the physical tools, but was never able to put it together mentally. His thin frame didn't help, but he would try to push the ball and make a careless pass or turn the ball over. He would take really bad, ill-advised shots.

He had a ton of upside when he was drafted, but just wasn't able to put it together.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He made stupid mistakes and just frustrated the coaches. He had some really unique physical skills that made him appealing to the pros but was considered a project and a risky one. He doesn't have what it takes to be a great NBA player. One of several Mullin blunders. Loved Mullin as a player, but not as GM.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then, I'd have wished we'd have gotten more out of him at LSU. Same for Tyrus Thomas and Stromile Swift. LSU seems to have a reputation as a school where some of the kids have great potential but most of them don't reach it. I think that basketball in the south (deep south) is played a little less intelligently. Could be wrong, but it seems that great players, not just athletic ones, come from other places in the country, in general.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that he played point guard in high school and that he has some serious skills. I will dream that he will be our poor man's version of Anthony Davis.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that he played point guard in high school and that he has some serious skills. I will dream that he will be our poor man's version of Anthony Davis.

I think that NOW everyone is a poor man's version of Anthony Davis.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you not keeping tabs on the off-season, Looney had hip surgery and will be out for the season. This was pretty much expected from the beginning. The Warriors don't need him this year and drafted him on his upside and potential. Hopefully he has a full recovery and can be back in time to do some work in the off-season.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you not keeping tabs on the off-season, Looney had hip surgery and will be out for the season. This was pretty much expected from the beginning. The Warriors don't need him this year and drafted him on his upside and potential. Hopefully he has a full recovery and can be back in time to do some work in the off-season.

IIRC, what I read was that he was going to be out 4 to 6 months, which maybe puts him back early 2016. Is that not accurate?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, what I read was that he was going to be out 4 to 6 months, which maybe puts him back early 2016. Is that not accurate?
Oh yeah the official time span was 4-6 months. I said he was out for the season as he will likely not contribute at all with the surgery taking place. He'll have his standard recovery time, then he needs to hit the weight room, condition and then eventually start progressing with his basketball skills. The Warriors drafted him with every intention of him not contributing this season, so I would imagine they'll take every precaution with him. Out for the season for me meant that he won't really be doing much developing and definitely no contribution to the team.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports say Looney has been assigned to the D-League, Santa Cruz Warriors. He'll begin practicing this weekend. Great news on his rehab process. I don't think he'll be more than a cameo/garbage time type player if at all this season.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looney has put up decent numbers, but nothing spectacular in 5 games with the D-League. He's averaging just about 17.5 minutes a game there. But there is one thing that really stands out to me.

In 5 games he's posted the following rebound totals: 7, 5, 5, 6, and 3. Those are his OFFENSIVE rebound totals only. That's insane. He's averaging over 5 offensive rebounds a game in under 18 minutes a game. You can't teach that.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to the show Looney!

Scored his first bucket last night and a couple of boards. I originally thought he might have some ability to play the 3 but it looks like the Warriors may end up using him at 4 and 5.

He still has a ways to go. He had some quality minutes in the second quarter but looked like he had a really tough time navigating his way on defense. His rebounding is already legit, but he'll need to get a lot of work in with Ron Adams this off-season. He's still only 19. That's crazy.