• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joseph -“Chad Kelly is our second string QB”

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't always a "cast-off" that you bring in though. There are several teams whom drafted a QB not knowing how the draft would pan out. Look at the Cardinals. They signed Bradford to an outrageous deal, signed Glennon before Bradford as a backup who if had to start they could, then had Josh Rosen fall to them. Now Glennon makes no sense. You want to start Bradford there and develop Rosen. Look at the Jets. Signed Bridgewater not knowing McCown's plan as he was contemplating retirement, short term deal with another team or re-signing, re-signed McCown and then went with QB in rd 1. Jets were smart with their contracts given to vet QB's as they knew they would likely go QB in round 1. Cards at the time didn't figure Rosen would be there so they paid bigger money to secure the QB spot. Now they need to get rid of a contract.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bridgewater might be starting material, but really don't know since the injury. We will see. Glennon had one reasonable season and then mostly not so much. I would still rather roll with Keenum and Kelly.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My scenario is Denver is 5-2 and Keenum goes down with a high ankle sprain for 2-3 weeks. Who would you want to play QB. Kelly or say Glennon?

We don't really need to get Kelly reps and Glennon has more wins than losses in the NFL.

That's my scenario for a vet. Just like home insurance replacement cost. The odds of replacing your house is very slim but you still have it incase that scenario plays out.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't want to bring in Bridgewater or Glennon. Glennon would be another marginal talent like Osweiler. If Keenum goes down, I'd rather just put Kelly in there to get him some playing time, than waste time losing with a guy we know is never gonna be a franchise QB like Glennon.

And you bring in Bridgewater and that makes Keenum's position in jeopardy. Is there really a big difference between those two? Not really. If one struggles, fans are going to want to see the other. And neither QB is going to be able to perform at their best if their constantly looking over their shoulder.

I think the best situation would be to stay with Keenum and Kelly. I just don't see how adding another QB makes us any better. Is Glennon gonna keep us in a potential race? Extremely doubtful. Is Bridgewater gonna make us better if he's backing up Keenum? I struggle to see how.

Start Keenum. Develop Kelly. Those should be our only goals at QB this year.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't really need to get Kelly reps and Glennon has more wins than losses in the NFL.

Osweiler has more wins than losses. Maybe we should bring him in, too. A marginal talent is a marginal talent. I'm against bringing in middle of the road QBs over developing a younger talent.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give Kelly the reps and end the suspense about if he can swim or sink in this league.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My scenario is Denver is 5-2 and Keenum goes down with a high ankle sprain for 2-3 weeks. Who would you want to play QB. Kelly or say Glennon?

That's my scenario for a vet. Just like home insurance replacement cost. The odds of replacing your house is very slim but you still have it incase that scenario plays out.

Why keep Kelly if you are scared to play him. You never know what the kid might do if put in. Just not having a lot of tape on the kid might be worth a win or two assuming he plays reasonably well. The game doesn't look to big for him as it does for Lynch. Any Vet we bring in the playbook is out there on them.

At the end of the day who ever we bring in (yes I assume the Broncos will not go with only 2 QBs) I will cheer for them, but at this point I do not like bringing in another guy at this point.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You people have to remember, we are fans. Elway has his @ss on the line. If Keenum were to go down and he started a QB with no experience he puts himself and the staff in terrible position. You have to look at it through their glasses not ours. I want Kelly too, but it is logical as to why he would want a guy with experience backing up his starter.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You people have to remember, we are fans. Elway has his @ss on the line. If Keenum were to go down and he started a QB with no experience he puts himself and the staff in terrible position. You have to look at it through their glasses not ours. I want Kelly too, but it is logical as to why he would want a guy with experience backing up his starter.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just hang on to Lynch. He still has a lot of supporters. There's , let see Crash and um..Crash.........and uh.....those other guys.......

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see cutting Lynch and trading for Bridgewater if they can make the cap work. Maybe give Bridgewater an extension to two or four years to help the cap hit, and plan on Keenum, Bridgewater, Kelly for a while.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see cutting Lynch and trading for Bridgewater if they can make the cap work. Maybe give Bridgewater an extension to two or four years to help the cap hit, and plan on Keenum, Bridgewater, Kelly for a while.
Why would Bridgewater agree to this type of deal? One year away from FA. I could see Bridgewater starting for NYJ as they ease Darnold in. McCown could be the odd man out and a perfect #2 here in Denver if Kelly pulls a Lynch this week.

Lynch is gone by the end of preseason unless there is an injury

Good football conversations going on here. Different opinions I like it.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Bridgewater agree to this type of deal? One year away from FA. I could see Bridgewater starting for NYJ as they ease Darnold in. McCown could be the odd man out and a perfect #2 here in Denver if Kelly pulls a Lynch this week.

Lynch is gone by the end of preseason unless there is an injury

Good football conversations going on here. Different opinions I like it.

He needs to show his stuff somewhere to get a fat contract. If he signed on for a couple/few years with us maybe he gets a chance to do that. Keenum is only signed with us for the next two seasons. Maybe we end up transitioning to Kelly as the starter. Bridgewater's in kind of a complicated situation. He could just be traded away to the highest bidder. Or maybe his team works with him to give him a shot, or maybe he stays there although I doubt it.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the idea of trading draft capital for a back up vet that may only be here for a year. If we are trading a player for player I am more ok with that. Drafting is the key to maintaining a competitive team year in and year out. Especially when there will be some guys cut that will have some starting experience.

My preference would be to go with Keenum and Kelly and a PS guy. That will allow us to keep an additional guy at one of the deeper positions (DLine, RB, WR, maybe even TE). I hope we keep Butt, Fumagalli, and Traylor. I am guessing Heureman will be give a chance at starting until he is hurt again.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to show his stuff somewhere to get a fat contract. If he signed on for a couple/few years with us maybe he gets a chance to do that. Keenum is only signed with us for the next two seasons. Maybe we end up transitioning to Kelly as the starter. Bridgewater's in kind of a complicated situation. He could just be traded away to the highest bidder. Or maybe his team works with him to give him a shot, or maybe he stays there although I doubt it.

I think he's in a great situation with a great preseason. one year contract , great preseason , young , some team next year will make him their starter. The league is QB starved.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's in a great situation with a great preseason. one year contract , great preseason , young , some team next year will make him their starter. The league is QB starved.

Oh, sure. It's not necessarily a bad situation for him. It's just complicated.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Bridgewater isn't going to sign an extension as a backup. His best bet is a one year deal like he is on now. He wants to show he is healthy and score another big contract as a starting QB. No way does he sign an extension to be a backup. Backup QB's rarely sign extensions before they are set to become a FA. If you're the backup QB you always test the waters for your opportunity. Then re-sign if it's in your best interest after testing the waters of other opportunities.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't always a "cast-off" that you bring in though. There are several teams whom drafted a QB not knowing how the draft would pan out. Look at the Cardinals. They signed Bradford to an outrageous deal, signed Glennon before Bradford as a backup who if had to start they could, then had Josh Rosen fall to them. Now Glennon makes no sense. You want to start Bradford there and develop Rosen. Look at the Jets. Signed Bridgewater not knowing McCown's plan as he was contemplating retirement, short term deal with another team or re-signing, re-signed McCown and then went with QB in rd 1. Jets were smart with their contracts given to vet QB's as they knew they would likely go QB in round 1. Cards at the time didn't figure Rosen would be there so they paid bigger money to secure the QB spot. Now they need to get rid of a contract.
Seems to me that Chad Kelly is in a similar position that Rosen is in with the Cardinals. So based on the above logic, Glennon or Bridgewater wouldn't make much sense for the Broncos either......

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After his play last night, I'm in the camp that we just carry 2 qbs, and have Kelly as a backup.