• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jonathan Gray

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen any discussion on the recent Draft so thought I would put my 2 cents worth in...not that I know much about College or H.S. baseball. Based upon what I've read since Silas did a Post on the draft a few weeks ago it seems to me that the Rockies might be the big winner and at the very least have to be quite happy (and lucky) in getting Gray.
I really thought that Appel and Gray would go 1-2 leaving the Rockies to choose between 3B Bryant and RHP Kohl Stewart and I'm so glad that didn't happen because I really saw neither as having anywhere near the potential to help the Rockies as much as Appel or Gray. Kohl has a very good bat but is that what the Rockies really need? Plus, some scouts believe his bat might fail once it sees ML pitching. Stewart is a High Schooler and a pitcher. That's a good combination to stay away from. A lot of ML teams haven't learned from past mistakes and continue to draft H.S. pitchers who almost always fail to succeed other than in becoming very rich.
I really saw Appel and Gray as being fairly even. What I like as far as the Rockies getting Gray is that he will come cheaper and doesn't seem to have the ego that Appel has. Only time, sometimes years, will tell.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopes do get high with an early pick like this. But of course, the last time they picked this high, they chose Greg Reynolds 2nd ahead of guys like Evan Longoria, Clayton Kershaw, and Tim Lincecum. Although maybe the issue could be development along with scouting. Maybe if the Rox would have taken Kershaw, he'd be in the minors with another club too. But Gray does seem like he has some potential.