• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

James Gunn (Director of GotG 1 and 2) Fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 ... Update: Now Rehired

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it wasn't until this week that the tweets got dug up and heavily publicized.

At that time he made those tweets, he was an obscure indie director whom no one knew about, so no one was paying any attention to those tweets at that time.

How do you consider writing both 1 and 2 of the live action Scooby Doo moves that grossed over $300 million total and the 2004 Dawn of the Dead movie that not only was critically acclaimed but also grossed close to $50 million an “obscure indie director”?

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you consider writing both 1 and 2 of the live action Scooby Doo moves that grossed over $300 million total and the 2004 Dawn of the Dead movie that not only was critically acclaimed but also grossed close to $50 million an “obscure indie director”?

Because writers and directors are different professions, and film screenwriters tend to get much less fame and credit than directors do (I'm not saying screenwriters deserve less credit, just saying that is what happens).

The only films he had directed at the time were Super and Slither. In 2010, "James Gunn" was an obscure name to the general public.

Last edited:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched Ricky gervais’s new Netflix stand up today where he addresses this topic. I get where your coming from. None of that shit is funny. None of it is clever. It’s just a dipshit talking about grossly innapropriate things in hopes some dumbass will laugh at it. In the real world, people who use that specific kind of humor exclusively, use it because they are not funny and it’s easy.

And if Gunn used those jokes at a comedy club, you’d probably hear crickets

I wouldn't go that far. Those "jokes" verbatim, maybe. The topics, probably not. Daniel Tosh has built an entire career with multiple specials, sold out tours, and a Comedy Central show telling jokes that aren't that far off from some of those Gunn tweets, especially when Tosh is dishing out gay or r*pe jokes. Seth MacFarlene has dipped into the inappropriate and mean for the sake of being inappropriate and mean well a few times too.

Gunn just really sucked at it. He also apologized for them in the past on top of him showing no signs of actually acting out or believing any of it. His firing is an overreaction. Especially considering the people doing the digging are just trying to stir up controversy.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisecracks and jokes with yourself as the ped0phile ? Show folks.. go figure. They're a different breed. None of it was even funny. Shock comedy just isn't for everyone.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now-ironic tweet by James Gunn:

2wnwudo2b6b11.jpg

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now-ironic tweet by James Gunn:

2wnwudo2b6b11.jpg

Except Disney knew about these tweets before they hired him in the first place. He already apologized for these tweets several years ago before being hired as a director meaning Disney didn't care then but only care now because of the public perception.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except Disney knew about these tweets before they hired him in the first place. He already apologized for these tweets several years ago before being hired as a director meaning Disney didn't care then but only care now because of the public perception.

No, the apology Gunn made years ago was for an article entitled "The 50 Superheroes You Most Want to Have Sex With" that he wrote.

He never apologized for his tweets until this week. He also left those tweets up on his Twitter until mass-deleting them this week when the tweets started drawing attention.

Last edited:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She was being serious, you can tell Gunn was not. However they both work for Disney and while a little different because she currently worked for Disney when she said that over Gunn's tweets being from 7-10 years ago before he did they don't want the negativity that comes with it.

Roseanne was pretty clearly making a joke... She should have kept her job as well.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it looks like they are going to have to recast all the Guardians for the next movie unless they bring Gunn back.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it looks like they are going to have to recast all the Guardians for the next movie unless they bring Gunn back.

No, all the cast's open letter says is that they support him (what a great guy they think Gunn is, how grateful they are to him, how they wish this hadn't happened, that he's still got a great career ahead of him, and so on and so on).

There's no mention whatsoever of resigning or quitting. There's a big difference between supporting Gunn and that.

Last edited:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remember when half of Hollywood threatened to leave the United States (but not for Mexico of course) if Trump won. Then Trump won and none of them moved?

Hollywood and their little temper tantrum threats lol

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be back

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, all the cast's open letter says is that they support him (what a great guy they think Gunn is, how grateful they are to him, how they wish this hadn't happened, that he's still got a great career ahead of him, and so on and so on).

There's no mention whatsoever of resigning or quitting. There's a big difference between supporting Gunn and that.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Disney decided to reinstate Gunn.

The news about the tweets broke about 1-2 weeks before the Fox shareholder vote on the Disney acquisition. I think Disney's main worry was that the incident would blow up into a major scandal that would scare off enough of the Fox shareholders into voting against the acquisition that the vote would fail and the deal would be derailed. When the stakes are a $71 billion deal, you don't take any chances, so Disney axed Gunn immediately.

But now that Disney no longer has to worry about the vote since the vote was successful, Disney might decide to bring Gunn back.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't that long ago the Hoop taught me, this dude isn't the gay guy from Bravo.

One of the gay guys from Bravo.

The old gay guy from Bravo.

Good on ya Hoop.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is brought back, it's proof that left leaning politics run Hollywood, IMO.
I could care less I just want another great movie. Just FYI left leaning politics run Hollywood (especially Disney) so we can put that to bed.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have stars threatening to quit if they don't bring Gunn back it's easy to see why they are considering it.