• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is This Going to Be Tyler O'Neill's Year?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is a sore subject for a lot of you, especially after watching Marco get his ass handed to him yet again last night. But let's give Tyler his due, eh? And at least, as a somewhat dubious consolation prize, we can say our 'I told you so-s'.

Through his first 8 games with the Memphis Redbirds this year:
4 homeruns, 14 RBI, 7 extra base hits, .412/.405/.882/1.288 (yeah, that is no typo. His BA is actually higher than his OBP. Weird.)

Excuse me, I think I'm going to be sick. (But first I'm going to see if he is available in my fantasy league.)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is a sore subject for a lot of you, especially after watching Marco get his ass handed to him yet again last night. But let's give Tyler his due, eh? And at least, as a somewhat dubious consolation prize, we can say our 'I told you so-s'.

Through his first 8 games with the Memphis Redbirds this year:
4 homeruns, 14 RBI, 7 extra base hits, .412/.405/.882/1.288 (yeah, that is no typo. His BA is actually higher than his OBP. Weird.)

Excuse me, I think I'm going to be sick. (But first I'm going to see if he is available in my fantasy league.)

I remember a bunch of the radio personalities saying how genius Jerry was for making the mood breaking camp because Marco was a beast and Tyler was hurt for most of spring. I know I am massively bias towards him though and think he is going to be a better player than Gamel or the farm systems last hope in Kyle Lewis.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one of us liked the trade when it happened and so far nothing has happened to nullify those beliefs.

Problem is, is that deal doesn't have a remote possible way of being a win until O'Neill either reaches FA or goes DJ Petersen. If the Mariners were to "win the deal" this year they will owe Marco a shit load in a contract, if he does decent and they pay him an average salary then he is still a 5th starter which sucks and if he keeps up the 1 time through the order regardless if O'Neill turns out to be nothing they wasted a valuable trade asset for just a dude. The deal was terrible unless Marco becomes a CY young caliber pitcher as you could have dealt O'Neill this past off-season for the international money they wanted instead of burning down the future. O'Neill for a whiff on Ohtani is easier to handle than what they ended up with.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still can't believe we traded him...

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont want to see any minor league stats like @wazzu31 said until he makes it to the majors and puts up great numbers I could care less. We all knew he could hit for power we will see overtime if his strikeout issues will catch up with him.

With that being said I didnt like the trade that much. I was excited for Marco during spring training he looked great but once reality set in during the regular season he is getting shelled. I was hoping that since he played college ball in WA that he would be in a more comfortable setting since landing here. I hope he figures things out.

Besides Edwin Diaz the Mariners have had a lot of problems developing prospects

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tyler o'niell 39 at bats 4 HR's .410 ave.not bad.....but i .think i will check back at about 100-130 at bats

gonzales 1-1...825 era..12 innings 3 games started ..2 hr's let ...not good really..no not good
but i will give him a couple more games ..before i throw him under the bus..then send him to the bull pen..IMO

the guy is coming back off tj...he just has to work it out...but may have to do it in the pen

which is why thay still have miranda who is not doing that well right now either

Last edited:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still can't believe we traded him...

Not only did they trade him, but for a minor leaguer. The Mariners who were in the hunt for their first playoff appearance in 16 years, moved their #2 prospect for a minor leaguer, coming off TJ surgery with zero ability to help them make a playoff push. It was an awful trade to be sure, nevermind the fact that as mentioned, the Mariners cannot win this trade. The best case scenario is literally O'Neill busts and it's a wash.

Given how poorly Gonzales has pitched, even if O'Neill never makes the bigs, this could end up being a loss for the Mariners if his value is negative. Kinda like the Pineda trade, where even if Pineda never pitched again after his injury the M's still would have lost that trade because Noesi was so awful.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not even that they traded O'Neil. Its that they seemed so quick to get rid of him and took the first deal they could find. Feels like he could have at least been a chip to use for something better

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not even that they traded O'Neil. Its that they seemed so quick to get rid of him and took the first deal they could find. Feels like he could have at least been a chip to use for something better
Exactly. I am fine with trading valuable prospects and players when its either mutually beneficial for the Mariners or it benefits the Mariners. I didn't and still don't see any of that with the O'Neill trade. Maybe Marco turns into a good pitcher and I hope he does for our sake but I still don't see it yet.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You just never know whats going on in the mind of a Mariners GM

They may simply look at the low % chance any prospect has at making it to the show and being successful that any pitcher with big league experience is worth the gamble coming off a TJ surgery.

They were hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with Gonzales and it hasn't panned out the way they were banking on.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with Gonzales and it hasn't panned out the way they were banking on.

This is what makes the trade so stupid. I agree they were hoping to catch lighting in a bottle. But they traded away lighting for a guy that has only ever been a rain cloud. There was very little in Marco's past to suggest he is anything more than what we see in his starts. Fact is O'Neill had and still has more value than Marco. Dipoto undervalues his own players and overvalues shitty players.

If Dip wanted Marco so much he could have traded a much lesser player or players for Marco, not a top prospect. How you find lighting is not to trade a better player away. Just so fucking dumb Dipoto!! Sorry I get very annoyed at this trade, it is just obviously stupid on another level.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well that didn't take long

Cardinals have always had a great eye for talent the past 15-20 yrs

One of the main reasons they were seen so often in the playoffs in years past. Most of their roster was comprised of home grown talent. They kicked Pujhols to the curb vs paying him stupid money to stay ( wise move )

Wish the kid luck ... Ms lost out on that one it seems

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys beat me to the story. Well I for one will be keeping a close track on Tyler to see how he performs this will be one of the many marks that will be graded with our GM. Right now Marco is playing like garbage if Tyler turns into a slugger and can play ball this will be a huge criticism for Jerry Dipito.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his trades havent been that bad there arent to many mariners that have left to have great careers. I think we won from the Segura and Tai Walker trade

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his trades havent been that bad there arent to many mariners that have left to have great careers. I think we won from the Segura and Tai Walker trade
Agreed-Segura is a huge plus for the M's team. Walker initially looked to me like he would be an awesome starter for us but never really panned out. He hadn't develop much control and could not be depended on due to his inconsistency. It's too bad for his injuries but looks like he'll be out of the picture for a year or more. I would not wish that on anyone but certainly glad the trade was made.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler gets called up to be a backup in the loaded St Louis OF while Seattle got stuck with Ichiro instead of using Tyler.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler gets called up to be a backup in the loaded St Louis OF while Seattle got stuck with Ichiro instead of using Tyler.

Yeah but I think Ichiro's playing time will be cut down a lot once Ben Gamel comes back and I think management wants to give Guillermo Heredia playing time as well so it would have been tough giving Tyler at bats and they didnt want to keep him and watch him lose value like we did with DJ Peterson