• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

is the PC/Mac CD-rom game dead?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it aint on an NES, then fuck you

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda funny when someone has no clue... and thinks they do.

1st $10,862,683 44% Team Liquid
2nd $3,950,067 16% Newbee
3rd $2,592,231 10.5% LGD.Forever Young
4th $1,728,154 7% LGD Gaming

ti7article.jpg

$10 million for 1st place....
What games do they play?

Last PC games I played were Unreal Tournament and Civilization forget the number.

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What games do they play?

Last PC games I played were Unreal Tournament and Civilization forget the number.
that was Dota 2 "the international" $23 million total purse.... only $61,000 for 17th and 18th place

Last edited:

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was Dota 2 "the international" $23 million total purse.... only $61,000 for 17th and 18th place

looking at the team, they have sponsors and everything... crazy. I'll stick with my playstation.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looking at the team, they have sponsors and everything... crazy. I'll stick with my playstation.

Playing any FPS on a console when it is available on PC is crazy.

I own a console and it plays sports games and that is pretty much it. With 2K sports turning their basketball game into absolute shit I don't see myself buying the next generation of console.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mostly crowd funded too. A percentage of your in game aesthetic purchases go towards the prize pool. This year they're already over $11 million and we haven't really ramped up to the start of thevvtourney yet.

There's also like 8 (?) Other 3rd party tournaments with prize pools over 1 million thrughout the rest ofvthdd year, plus another dozen or so "minor" tournaments with 500k prize pools.

Yes, I'm a Dota nerd.

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol wut? PC > PS4 > XBOX. XBOX is technically > Switch (sales) but Switch is kind of a niche market... it hasn't been considered a 'major player' since the original XBOX and PS2.

ALL the MAJOR tourneys and most watched events are PC.

CS: GO, Overwatch, LOL, DOTA 2, etc. And EVERYONE watches FPS on PC because those are the best gamers. People using controllers would get absolutely decimated. PC has basically ALL the MMOs (or the ones that matter), niche games like Path of Exile/Hearthstone, etc. and PUBG/Fortnite is far better/more popular on PC because mouse/keyboard is far superior and XBOX/PS4 users get destroyed.

PS4 dominates the single player market, Nintendo also does well but doesn't have the variety, and XBOX One is just bleh at this point. What does console even have these days that's unique outside of PS4 single player games that are good? NBA 2K and Madden? LOL, wow... real winners there.

Twitch

There, all the highest watched streamer games are PC, and the ones that are multi (mentioned above) are still all being played on PC for the most part.

To your other point, physical copies... does ANYONE even buy physical copies anymore? "I like the box/DVD/Blu-Ray!" Uh... fucking why? They just collect dust and take up space, get scratched, etc. Even go into a Best Buy now and the actual selection of games is like 2 shelves for XBOX/PS4... I have no fucking clue why ANYONE would buy a physical copy outside of opening up a Christmas/Birthday gift. Hell it wouldn't surprise me if 5 year olds these days are screaming, "MOM I WANTED THE DIGITAL CONTENT BECAUSE OF A FREE SKIN!!1!11111 REEEEEEE!"

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eventually consoles will be a thing of the past. Laptops are basically in every home, Apple is dying in their actual power computer market (desktop/non mobile-laptop), and PCs are becoming cheaper/more affordable. EVERYONE knows how to use a keyboard now from the age of 5+ it seems. Consoles can't compete with that... PCs are also easier to build than Lego Sets (you just have more $$$ invested). Only reason Dell/etc. is around is Corporations. Dell PERSONAL computers? Ha, it's a PC outsourced market, that's all.

Typing is MUCH faster than some stupid analog stick and basically the entire new generation of crotch trophies are learning keyboard/mouse from a VERY early age. When it comes to gaming, that is BAR none (outside of neural/VR possibly) the fastest input possible. Faster inputs = more competitive = F off consoles. The only reason games exclusively console aren't on PCs is because of contracts... the inputs are easy to map and PC controllers are basically identical to PS4/XONE.

The ONLY thing keeping consoles remotely in the market is cost. $400-500 is cheaper than a $1,200 gaming computer, partly because the video cards to out-do PS/XBOX are about $350 or so. That said, it seems like parents are perfectly willing to shell out $1,000 for stupid ass phones these days, so it's not that far off from shelling out a fuck ton for a video card.

IMO video cards will replace consoles. Your birthday/Christmas gift 'console' will be a video card. I've already got stock in NVidia... I've enjoyed watching it continually go up.

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eventually consoles will be a thing of the past. Laptops are basically in every home, Apple is dying in their actual power computer market (desktop/non mobile-laptop), and PCs are becoming cheaper/more affordable. EVERYONE knows how to use a keyboard now from the age of 5+ it seems. Consoles can't compete with that... PCs are also easier to build than Lego Sets (you just have more $$$ invested). Only reason Dell/etc. is around is Corporations. Dell PERSONAL computers? Ha, it's a PC outsourced market, that's all.

Typing is MUCH faster than some stupid analog stick and basically the entire new generation of crotch trophies are learning keyboard/mouse from a VERY early age. When it comes to gaming, that is BAR none (outside of neural/VR possibly) the fastest input possible. Faster inputs = more competitive = F off consoles. The only reason games exclusively console aren't on PCs is because of contracts... the inputs are easy to map and PC controllers are basically identical to PS4/XONE.

The ONLY thing keeping consoles remotely in the market is cost. $400-500 is cheaper than a $1,200 gaming computer, partly because the video cards to out-do PS/XBOX are about $350 or so. That said, it seems like parents are perfectly willing to shell out $1,000 for stupid ass phones these days, so it's not that far off from shelling out a fuck ton for a video card.

IMO video cards will replace consoles. Your birthday/Christmas gift 'console' will be a video card. I've already got stock in NVidia... I've enjoyed watching it continually go up.
Speaking of nVidia.... they played a huge role in this...

summit-supercomputer---side-viewdownload.jpg

America’s new supercomputer beats China’s fastest machine to take title of world’s most powerful

Summit is a stepping stone toward a world of exascale computing.

The winner: The US Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee has taken the wraps off Summit, which boasts peak computing power of 200 petaflops, or 200 million billion… Read more

nVidia has been big on deep learning computing... NVIDIA Deep Learning and AI Solutions for Industries

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Consoles will continue to have their place, I think.

It's braindead simple to get into console gaming, And when you have multiple kids, it's easier to just toss a console at them, rather than multiple computers.

Consoles are becoming more media-center than just gaming box. Consoles are getting a boost from the cheaper initiation into VR, too.

PC's are a casual and enthusiast platform. That middle space still belongs to consoles.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consoles will continue to have their place, I think.

It's braindead simple to get into console gaming, And when you have multiple kids, it's easier to just toss a console at them, rather than multiple computers.

Consoles are becoming more media-center than just gaming box. Consoles are getting a boost from the cheaper initiation into VR, too.

PC's are a casual and enthusiast platform. That middle space still belongs to consoles.

Perhaps.. I really don't think PCs (desktop gaming) will wipe out consoles.. honestly I think the mobile market will. Kids are more excited about getting an IPAD/Tablet than a console these days, it seems.

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the consoles are already just weak enslaved pc's, they run an AMD cpu/gpu & sport hd's & usb...and lock the user into wacked OS's. Why blow $500 on a weak pc with no freedom to run code on the cpu.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the consoles are already just weak enslaved pc's, they run an AMD cpu/gpu & sport hd's & usb...and lock the user into wacked OS's. Why blow $500 on a weak pc with no freedom to run code on the cpu.
Like I said, ease of use. Not just gaming, but the media center.

And Nintendo has their own niche for pure gamers with locked down IP. And they keen trying to make their consoles unique with special capabilities you can't get anywhere else.

My 9 year old is head over heels for his Switch.

Myself, I haven't felt a need to play on a console in a while. My last one was the 360, and I still use it, mostly for Netflix on the TV, though.

All my gaming is on my phone and the computer. If RDR2 never comes to PC, that might make me think about finally upgrading out of my 360 to a newer used model of the XBone.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps.. I really don't think PCs (desktop gaming) will wipe out consoles.. honestly I think the mobile market will. Kids are more excited about getting an IPAD/Tablet than a console these days, it seems.

Phones not consoles will kill PC's. Family's may have a computer or 2 but everyone will have phones.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phones not consoles will kill PC's. Family's may have a computer or 2 but everyone will have phones.

Perhaps... but given size/computing (namely power) constraints, desktop PCs will continue to be a thing (probably in a decent chunk of our remaining life). We need widespread and available nano tech and neural computing before desktop PCs die. Laptops aren't even close at this point to competing with even a mid tier desktop rig. Again goes down to power and cooling. If we ever get Tony Stark levels of power and liquid nitrogen in a 'cooling' form, then sure... RIP desktop and laptop computers.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps... but given size/computing (namely power) constraints, desktop PCs will continue to be a thing (probably in a decent chunk of our remaining life). We need widespread and available nano tech and neural computing before desktop PCs die. Laptops aren't even close at this point to competing with even a mid tier desktop rig. Again goes down to power and cooling. If we ever get Tony Stark levels of power and liquid nitrogen in a 'cooling' form, then sure... RIP desktop and laptop computers.

Yeah. I'm not saying desktops will go away but that not every household will need 2, 3 or more like they used to.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I'm not saying desktops will go away but that not every household will need 2, 3 or more like they used to.

Hmm, I'd be fairly surprised now if households had 2+. Desktops are mostly reserved for high end gamers (minority - machines for high end gaming are $1,500+) and Corporations.

I'd be willing to wager most households are mostly mobile computing (laptop/phone/tablet). My point was, those options cannot come near to duplicating what a desktop solution does... at least for now.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, I'd be fairly surprised now if households had 2+. Desktops are mostly reserved for high end gamers (minority - machines for high end gaming are $1,500+) and Corporations.

I'd be willing to wager most households are mostly mobile computing (laptop/phone/tablet). My point was, those options cannot come near to duplicating what a desktop solution does... at least for now.

Yes. It didn't use to be that way. If people could afford it (i.e. cheap one) a lot of households had multiple computers

Now it is more for gamers and "power" users

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3