• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Iron Fist

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished it.

Overall, meh.

It was just sooo damned slow. I think they could have really tightened it up by making it 8 episodes instead of 13.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one to listen to critic's suggestions a whole ton when it comes to movies; when it comes to a 13 hour investment and a 37 score on Metacritic, I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished it.

Overall, meh.

It was just sooo damned slow. I think they could have really tightened it up by making it 8 episodes instead of 13.
Cal, off-topic, but I know you're an '80s kid. What do you think of The Fly? I watched it earlier today and reviewed it in TLMYW thread. It fucked me up at first, but it's really grown on me, even though I gave it a positive review to begin with. You can respond on TLMYW thread if you don't want to fuck this thread up.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal, off-topic, but I know you're an '80s kid. What do you think of The Fly? I watched it earlier today and reviewed it in TLMYW thread. It fucked me up at first, but it's really grown on me, even though I gave it a positive review to begin with. You can respond on TLMYW thread if you don't want to fuck this thread up.
Better than the original, but I never really thought much of it, good or bad. That said, I am not much for the horror genre in general.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, the guy can punch really hard. It's not like they can put him solo up against some earth shaking baddie.

Wasn't the best of Netflix's series, but certainly not a 37 rating.

All of the series have been about character more than action. This one the same.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, the guy can punch really hard. It's not like they can put him solo up against some earth shaking baddie.

All of the series have been about character more than action. This one the same.

yea, i do think the show missed out on some opportunities to make it much better... Would have liked to see more of HOW he got the powers... What is interesting is that of the 4 different characters, the one character they explored their origin the most was the one that we all knew about the most...

this was iron fists first chance, they could have owned it... but felt like they played everything too safe... even the mysticism... I mean riddle me this, in Daredevil season 2 they made the hand seem powerful with mysticism and ninjas... But in Iron fist the Hand felt more like a cult...

again, the show was certainly not as bad as the critics made it out to be, and was good enough as an addition to a larger franchise, but did feel too much like a throw in than a centerpiece...

and again, it is a shame, because these are characters that are not well known... they really could have gone all out...

BUT i get that iron fist is the hardest one... he is pretty much a fortune cookie who is a skilled fighter and has one SPECIAL move...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I missed those. You mean pharma companies skyrocketing prices to gouge consumers?

Yeah because that NEVER happens.

US pharmaceutical company defends 5,000% price increase - BBC News

C'mon now.
Well, they never mentioned how much the years of R&D cost Rand. Or how much R&D cost on all the drugs that DIDNT work. Or how removing the incentive to finding a useful drug will decrease the chance that a useful drug will be found. Or that allowing Rand to make a profit on this drug allows them to develop another drug in the future that can save more people.

Kumbaia is a beautiful idea, but the smell of patchouli oil really smells after a while.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, i do think the show missed out on some opportunities to make it much better... Would have liked to see more of HOW he got the powers... What is interesting is that of the 4 different characters, the one character they explored their origin the most was the one that we all knew about the most...

this was iron fists first chance, they could have owned it... but felt like they played everything too safe... even the mysticism... I mean riddle me this, in Daredevil season 2 they made the hand seem powerful with mysticism and ninjas... But in Iron fist the Hand felt more like a cult...

again, the show was certainly not as bad as the critics made it out to be, and was good enough as an addition to a larger franchise, but did feel too much like a throw in than a centerpiece...

and again, it is a shame, because these are characters that are not well known... they really could have gone all out...

BUT i get that iron fist is the hardest one... he is pretty much a fortune cookie who is a skilled fighter and has one SPECIAL move...
Yea, he feels kinda like a Bruce Banner, but dialed down to about a 2 and with more control over his ability.

I like the character of Claire, and she acts kinda like Nick Fury or Agent Colson in the movies to bring all the shows together, but it seamed that every time she spoke, she started by reminding everyone that she knows other "special" people. We get it. You don't need to remind us again every time anyone leaves the room for a potty break.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, he feels kinda like a Bruce Banner, but dialed down to about a 2 and with more control over his ability.

I like the character of Claire, and she acts kinda like Nick Fury or Agent Colson in the movies to bring all the shows together, but it seamed that every time she spoke, she started by reminding everyone that she knows other "special" people. We get it. You don't need to remind us again every time anyone leaves the room for a potty break.

Yea, and if she knows them, and also knows what iron fist is facing, why not ask one for help.... I mean, she was pretty much just taking his word for having special powers...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, and if she knows them, and also knows what iron fist is facing, why not ask one for help.... I mean, she was pretty much just taking his word for having special powers...
She kept name dropping, I was almost expecting her to finally say, "Hey, this is dangerous. Let me make a couple phone calls".

But nope. She is all talk, no action.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they never mentioned how much the years of R&D cost Rand. Or how much R&D cost on all the drugs that DIDNT work. Or how removing the incentive to finding a useful drug will decrease the chance that a useful drug will be found. Or that allowing Rand to make a profit on this drug allows them to develop another drug in the future that can save more people.

Kumbaia is a beautiful idea, but the smell of patchouli oil really smells after a while.

Actually they DID mention some of that stuff, but just in passing, because it isn't a show about business. One of the board members specifically brings up the R+D costs if memory serves.

So was it a bit oversimplistic? Sure, because again, it's not a business show.

But the real world example I used illustrates perfectly what a LOT of business has become. They ACQUIRED a long time standing drug, where all the R+D costs had already been paid for, and then jacked up the price 800% has been in trouble before for securities fraud. He's not a researcher, he's an investor.

Buying up perfectly profitable companies, raiding their pension funds, firing workers, driving up stock prices, and then selling, there's no intellectual capital created there, there's no PRODUCT that's been created. That's just corporate raiding, and that's become S.O.P. in today's world.

The crash and resulting billions and billions lost, and our taxpayer funded dollars went in to bailout, and ONE fucking Belgian mid-ranking anonymous cipher goes to jail?

Kumbaya? Heh. Notice what kind of car he buys? No Prius for Mr. Iron Fist, what sounded like a V12 Aston Martin.

Hell I'm from Calgary, where you can't throw a rock without hitting an oil and gas millionaire. I've argued with fellow liberals for years about how stupid the term 'dirty oil,' is - so you can't paint me with the goofy environut brush - but if you think that that show was hopelessly anti business, then you haven't been watching enough lefty propaganda.

If you ask me Hollywood is finally waking up to the storytelling opportunities that the ever shrinking working class represents. Hell or High Water was on its surface a bank heist movie, but looking just a wee bit deeper, it's an indictment of what the North American social structure has become.

Hollywood has to do MORE of that stuff, not less.

Wake people the fuck up.

/rant.

:)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She kept name dropping, I was almost expecting her to finally say, "Hey, this is dangerous. Let me make a couple phone calls".

But nope. She is all talk, no action.

Because they're saving the crossover for the upcoming new series?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they're saving the crossover for the upcoming new series?
I realize that. I was commenting on her continual statements that she knows others. It got a bit ridiculous after the 8th time she mentioned it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually they DID mention some of that stuff, but just in passing, because it isn't a show about business. One of the board members specifically brings up the R+D costs if memory serves.

So was it a bit oversimplistic? Sure, because again, it's not a business show.

But the real world example I used illustrates perfectly what a LOT of business has become. They ACQUIRED a long time standing drug, where all the R+D costs had already been paid for, and then jacked up the price 800% has been in trouble before for securities fraud. He's not a researcher, he's an investor.

Buying up perfectly profitable companies, raiding their pension funds, firing workers, driving up stock prices, and then selling, there's no intellectual capital created there, there's no PRODUCT that's been created. That's just corporate raiding, and that's become S.O.P. in today's world.

The crash and resulting billions and billions lost, and our taxpayer funded dollars went in to bailout, and ONE fucking Belgian mid-ranking anonymous cipher goes to jail?

Kumbaya? Heh. Notice what kind of car he buys? No Prius for Mr. Iron Fist, what sounded like a V12 Aston Martin.

Hell I'm from Calgary, where you can't throw a rock without hitting an oil and gas millionaire. I've argued with fellow liberals for years about how stupid the term 'dirty oil,' is - so you can't paint me with the goofy environut brush - but if you think that that show was hopelessly anti business, then you haven't been watching enough lefty propaganda.

If you ask me Hollywood is finally waking up to the storytelling opportunities that the ever shrinking working class represents. Hell or High Water was on its surface a bank heist movie, but looking just a wee bit deeper, it's an indictment of what the North American social structure has become.

Hollywood has to do MORE of that stuff, not less.

Wake people the fuck up.

/rant.

But MY comment was not about a specific unrelated instance IRL. My comment was about the situation described in the show. Rand had developed a drug that looked to have great positive results. They could produce the drug at $5 per pill and were price-pointing it at $50 per pill. R&D for drugs is EXPENSIVE, and does not only exist for HR drugs that become cash cows. It is also expensive for drugs that fall flat on their faces and end up being money pits. The successful drugs need to be profitable enough to pay for the failures as well as the lessor, break-even drugs AND provide a profit for those who have taken the risks to get said drug to market.

And $50 per pill is not that outrageous. Hell, I take two $100 pills per day.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very important distinction. These are like the 1st episode of Lord of the Rings.

I like the background and buildup. Looking forward to when they all get together.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But MY comment was not about a specific unrelated instance IRL. My comment was about the situation described in the show. Rand had developed a drug that looked to have great positive results. They could produce the drug at $5 per pill and were price-pointing it at $50 per pill. R&D for drugs is EXPENSIVE, and does not only exist for HR drugs that become cash cows. It is also expensive for drugs that fall flat on their faces and end up being money pits. The successful drugs need to be profitable enough to pay for the failures as well as the lessor, break-even drugs AND provide a profit for those who have taken the risks to get said drug to market.

And $50 per pill is not that outrageous. Hell, I take two $100 pills per day.

Kinda' sorry I hijacked the thread. :( As I'm driving to work, I'm thinking, yeah, this probably won't end well.

We could probably spend months going back and forth as to what is the best way for society to handle HC costs. And probably end up nowhere fast. Kinda' like talking religion these days.

Sorry you have to spend that kind of dough on your health, glad that you can afford it, or have a good enough plan in the US to afford it.

And yeah, I certainly am aware that some costs have to be rolled into drugs - I just disagree how much, and the example I gave clearly shows that companies that DON'T have those costs will still gouge.

Pharma companies threaten Canada all the time with walking away from their 30 million user market. They never seem to quite pull the trigger though. Bulk buying at the very least helps reduce costs. Thus US seniors busing to Canada daily.

CanadianRxcrooks350.gif

At any rate, enough of my thread hijack! Let's get back to discussing the larger show.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda' sorry I hijacked the thread. :( As I'm driving to work, I'm thinking, yeah, this probably won't end well.

We could probably spend months going back and forth as to what is the best way for society to handle HC costs. And probably end up nowhere fast. Kinda' like talking religion these days.

Sorry you have to spend that kind of dough on your health, glad that you can afford it, or have a good enough plan in the US to afford it.

And yeah, I certainly am aware that some costs have to be rolled into drugs - I just disagree how much, and the example I gave clearly shows that companies that DON'T have those costs will still gouge.

Pharma companies threaten Canada all the time with walking away from their 30 million user market. They never seem to quite pull the trigger though. Bulk buying at the very least helps reduce costs. Thus US seniors busing to Canada daily.

CanadianRxcrooks350.gif

At any rate, enough of my thread hijack! Let's get back to discussing the larger show.

Quit hijacking my credit for hijacking this thread.

Typical liberal, taking credit for a conservatives efforts...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit hijacking my credit for hijacking this thread.

Typical liberal, taking credit for a conservatives efforts...

Okay, I laughed.

Clearly you're a conservative with liberal tendencies...

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched eps 4 and 5 last night. The business arguments made (and apparently portrayed as the "good-guy" position) were so ignorant it kinda irritated me. But I expect nothing less from Hollywood.

The show is still good so far, if paced just a bit slow...

The biggest issue for me is the pace, but I still thought it was a bit better than Luke Cage.