• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

iPhone 8

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have plenty of options in the iPhone world. What I don't have is the ability to buy a product that just won't work.

I've had an Android phone from multiple manufacturers for christ knows how many years and none of them have not worked.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So antennagate wasn't a real thing, but Apple paid out a class action lawsuit because of it.

lol, got it.

Yes, they sent out cheap rubber bumpers to everyone to get them to shut up about it.

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one is crazy.... not apple... but its just shows some possibilities...

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, they sent out cheap rubber bumpers to everyone to get them to shut up about it.

$15 a person actually.

So, $15 a person for something that "didn't happen"?

Seems like a weird judgment to me.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had an Android phone from multiple manufacturers for christ knows how many years and none of them have not worked.

And each one has different menus and quirks and is a pain in the ass. It's really nice to be able to ask any iphone in the world how to change a specific setting and they can tell me. Not so much with dozens of flavors of android and dozens of manufacturers, and then you have the whole "proprietary blend of android" which makes it all even worse.

But hey, good for you avoiding Apple and instead spending more time avoiding spam and viruses and trying to figure out how to get support. Me, my iphone always works right out of the box. I know any peripheral I buy will work. It is simple to find cases and anything I need for my phone. There aren't 10 things I need to go check and verify to see if it that app/peripheral is going to work with my type of phone.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$15 a person actually.

So, $15 a person for something that "didn't happen"?

Seems like a weird judgment to me.
$15 a person or a bumper. Small price to pay to get something to go away. drop in Apples bucket and continuing to fight it after Jobs already fucked up by saying "just don't hold it that way".

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1444064491_bug_attack.gif

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And each one has different menus and quirks and is a pain in the ass. It's really nice to be able to ask any iphone in the world how to change a specific setting and they can tell me. Not so much with dozens of flavors of android and dozens of manufacturers, and then you have the whole "proprietary blend of android" which makes it all even worse.

But hey, good for you avoiding Apple and instead spending more time avoiding spam and viruses and trying to figure out how to get support. Me, my iphone always works right out of the box. I know any peripheral I buy will work. It is simple to find cases and anything I need for my phone. There aren't 10 things I need to go check and verify to see if it that app/peripheral is going to work with my type of phone.

I'm really confused about these issues you are hearing about.

I've never had a problem with any sort of "quirks" when a menu changes or there is an upgrade. An OS upgrade is pushed out, I read the notes, I adapt to the changes. It takes all of about 3-4 minutes to optimize my phone after any updates or even switching UIs. I mean, I'm not Rainman, but nothing about the technology confuses me.

Never had any viruses or spam or needed to contact any form of support. Neither from Google or the phone manufacturer. So, I can't really comment there at all.

I don't know what issues you have with cases either. If I have an HTC phone, I walk to the cases section, find where the HTC cases are and read the fine print as to which model it's for. Quite similar to how you probably go to the Apple section and read the fine print for if it's for you "4" or "5" or "5S".

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really confused about these issues you are hearing about.

I've never had a problem with any sort of "quirks" when a menu changes or there is an upgrade. An OS upgrade is pushed out, I read the notes, I adapt to the changes. It takes all of about 3-4 minutes to optimize my phone after any updates or even switching UIs. I mean, I'm not Rainman, but nothing about the technology confuses me.

Never had any viruses or spam or needed to contact any form of support. Neither from Google or the phone manufacturer. So, I can't really comment there at all.

I don't know what issues you have with cases either. If I have an HTC phone, I walk to the cases section, find where the HTC cases are and read the fine print as to which model it's for. Quite similar to how you probably go to the Apple section and read the fine print for if it's for you "4" or "5" or "5S".

so does sherbert, or is it smoothie, or perhaps snowcone that you need? Can you take that one on your phone or is it just for another 80 types of "android" phones? There are a ton of crappy products out there running god knows what version of the OS. Trying to code for those OS's is a fucking pain, having worked on app dev many times. iOS is a bitch to get somethign through the store but that's good for the Customer. I can get anything through the Google app store no matter how unsound it may be.

I tried to switch and went with a Galaxy tab. no thanks, nothing worked on it. i was setting it up with parental controls for my kid and couldn't get it to work. I had to update 4 things to get the setting right, but if you change this configuration then it undoes this other one and the profile isn't ever secure because you just create a new one and all of a sudden there are no limits on app purchases. It was a pain in the ass and I'm in the tech industry. I returned it and got an ipad mini. Granted I am 10 years inot their ecosystem so it makes more sense, but the android crap never felt secure and there was no way to get support for it because there were too many versions and hardware variables. I could have figured it out, but it wasn't worth my time to learn something new. Then giving it to a 4 year old that I'm sure he would mess something up and I'd have no idea how to get it back.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just go buy an Apple phone and shut the hell up already. :suds:

He would probably have issues with it since he doesn't know it. To each their own. I just tired of "Apple sucks" talk.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably get the X just because I can wait a little longer for a phone since I'm not in desperate need as of now. My only question deals with wireless charging. I'm guessing you can still use a cable but if I wanted to charge is wirelessly would I have to remove my phone case(which is a pain) or have they said if they're making cases where you don't have too?

The 2 things I always buy are screen protectors and cases(part of why I've never had one break on me despite dropping them more than I'd care to admit) so I'd hate to have tor forgo a case with this new phone.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fucking facial recognition!? :eek: fuck that...no thanks.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The product I actually AM excited about is the new apple watch. Now that it has LTE and I won't need to have my phone with me to make calls and text, that could make my life easier.

Yep. new watch ordered.

Phones have reached the peak 1-2 generations ago. They are more than powerful enough, with enough memory, good enough cameras, big enough screen, etc. It's an issue for the replacement cycle but I don't see anything disruptive that will cause people to stop the 2-3 generation upgrade cycle and significantly spike demand.

Wearables are getting good enough that they may transition to mainstream.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, how did that touch ID screen work out for you? You know, the one that they failed at so they put the awkward sensor on the back? What anti-virus are you running? Me I don't run one because iOS is secure unlike whatever flavor of android you are running. How's that smart watch that can't run unless your phone is setup just right, powered on, in cell range, etc?
  • Do you mean the fingerprint scanner? The placement on the back of my Pixel is a lot more ergonomic than where they have been traditionally and I prefer the location.
  • I don't run an anti-virus either.
  • I can hold things down longer for more options. It's a little different than Apple's touch ID but I don't really care about that function all that much.
  • I kind of prefer my set up with my Fitbit Charge 2. It was only $100 vs. Apple's which is almost a car payment.
  • Android has had the stand alone option for an array of smart watches for a while now.
I'm mostly looking forward to the bezels on all of the phones getting smaller. There isn't a huge difference between flagship phones at this point which comes down to personal preference and price point in my opinion. The main advantage Android has on iOS is that the options for peripherals aren't limited to Apple products for the most part. If you want a smart watch you have to get Apple's and if I want one I can get any of them except Apple's.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so does sherbert, or is it smoothie, or perhaps snowcone that you need? Can you take that one on your phone or is it just for another 80 types of "android" phones? There are a ton of crappy products out there running god knows what version of the OS. Trying to code for those OS's is a fucking pain, having worked on app dev many times. iOS is a bitch to get somethign through the store but that's good for the Customer. I can get anything through the Google app store no matter how unsound it may be.

I tried to switch and went with a Galaxy tab. no thanks, nothing worked on it. i was setting it up with parental controls for my kid and couldn't get it to work. I had to update 4 things to get the setting right, but if you change this configuration then it undoes this other one and the profile isn't ever secure because you just create a new one and all of a sudden there are no limits on app purchases. It was a pain in the ass and I'm in the tech industry. I returned it and got an ipad mini. Granted I am 10 years inot their ecosystem so it makes more sense, but the android crap never felt secure and there was no way to get support for it because there were too many versions and hardware variables. I could have figured it out, but it wasn't worth my time to learn something new. Then giving it to a 4 year old that I'm sure he would mess something up and I'd have no idea how to get it back.
It's fairly standard to have support on Android products for at least 2-3 at least years. Apple has been recently better in that regard but they have been pushing their older models without contracts more recently. Android phones tend to have more new options available every year for upper tier, middle tier, and bottom tier products compared to Apple who continues to sell old flagships which likely explains the difference in operating system support.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. new watch ordered.

Phones have reached the peak 1-2 generations ago. They are more than powerful enough, with enough memory, good enough cameras, big enough screen, etc. It's an issue for the replacement cycle but I don't see anything disruptive that will cause people to stop the 2-3 generation upgrade cycle and significantly spike demand.

Wearables are getting good enough that they may transition to mainstream.

Did you get yours? I got mine Friday and the damn wifi issue screwed me on Sunday when I went out without my phone. It was liberating until I realized I had no signal. Fixed it by resetting my networks settings to forget all wifi locations, and then turning off "ask to join". As long as it doesn't know there is a wifi there you are fine.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Do you mean the fingerprint scanner? The placement on the back of my Pixel is a lot more ergonomic than where they have been traditionally and I prefer the location.
  • I don't run an anti-virus either.
  • I can hold things down longer for more options. It's a little different than Apple's touch ID but I don't really care about that function all that much.
  • I kind of prefer my set up with my Fitbit Charge 2. It was only $100 vs. Apple's which is almost a car payment.
  • Android has had the stand alone option for an array of smart watches for a while now.
I'm mostly looking forward to the bezels on all of the phones getting smaller. There isn't a huge difference between flagship phones at this point which comes down to personal preference and price point in my opinion. The main advantage Android has on iOS is that the options for peripherals aren't limited to Apple products for the most part. If you want a smart watch you have to get Apple's and if I want one I can get any of them except Apple's.

The scanner on the back is Samsung settling when they couldn't get the touch sensor under glass figured out. You should run a virus protection, just silly not to.

And I've had two fitbit charges. Both wore out after a year. Neither could do 1/5th what my apple watch now can. It wasn't water resistant, it didn't read texts, it's heart monitor was a joke. It's a neat toy and has a niche, but comparing it to a smart watch like Samsungs or Apples is like comparing a roller skate to an Indy car.