• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Internet Speed with Vonage (IP Phone)

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just upgraded from 50mbps to 100mbps with COX.
Speed test kept giving me 55 to 59 mbps.

Set up was Modem - Router - Vonage - PC

Through trouble shooting I found that I you take Vonage out of the equation I hit speeds above 100mbps

New set up is Modem - Router - PC and Vonage directly from router to phone jack.

Just passing this on for others using Vonage. Probably that same for all IP Phone systems

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just upgraded from 50mbps to 100mbps with COX.
Speed test kept giving me 55 to 59 mbps.

Set up was Modem - Router - Vonage - PC

Through trouble shooting I found that I you take Vonage out of the equation I hit speeds above 100mbps

New set up is Modem - Router - PC and Vonage directly from router to phone jack.

Just passing this on for others using Vonage. Probably that same for all IP Phone systems

Good to know. I am considering going to IP phone. Landline is no longer necessary. Even IP phone is overkill but when you have old people in the house it is better for 911.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to know. I am considering going to IP phone. Landline is no longer necessary. Even IP phone is overkill but when you have old people in the house it is better for 911.
I want to toss the house phone, wife wants to keep it.
Now I feel like a youngster.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have Comcast's phone solution and only have it because we have a kid at home. Land lines are going the way of the dinosaur. Hell, Magic Jjack is probably fine for most land line needs and doesn't have a monthly charge with it.

I will say in general it's always the best practice to not run a network in series as was described in the OP. That is device plugged into device that is plugged into something else.

I also don't generally recommend using just your modem and plugging everything directly into it and not having your own router simply because those routers now have so many firewall elements that it just isn't safe to live without, but that's another discussion.

You are fine to next things down using switches. That is, plug a few things into your router, and maybe a long line that goes to a switch that feeds things in another room. Those switches in general will not slow down your internet speed as long as it's a decent switch. But secondary devices such as telephony modems and whatnot may come with extra ports, but I personally wouldn't ever use them.