• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Intentional Grounding Question

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could someone explain why they say that intentional grounding costs your team 10 yards and the down? I get the ten yards. I understand that it changes downs. l know other penalties result in yards and a replay of the down.

But a sack would lose yards and the downs, too. I‘ve seen a QB throw the ball away to avoid an 8 yard sack. Flag. So instead of losing 8 yards and the down, they lose 10 and the yards.

Throwing the ball towards a receiver past the line of scrimmage is better than a sack or intentional grounding, but it’s not better than a sack fumble or a hurriedly throw pass that is intercepted.

So QBs get blasted for it and they should be prepared to get it towards someone, but it seems the “and the down” is always emphasized. Don’t compare it to a holding penalty, compare it to a sack or incompletion (no yards) and see that an INT/Fumble is a viable potential avoided.

Am I missing something?

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure about the 10 yards, I always thought it was where the QB threw from and a loss of downs.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure about the 10 yards, I always thought it was where the QB threw from and a loss of downs.

In the case where the quarterback threw it away 8 yards short, they brought it back 10 yards from the line of scrimmage (instead of 8). If it is beyond the 10, I think it is a spot foul.

Here was today’s play-by-play summary:
  • 1st & 10 at CAR 20​

(0:55 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Bridgewater pass incomplete short middle [K.Keke]. PENALTY on CAR-T.Bridgewater, Intentional Grounding, 10 yards, enforced at CAR 20.
  • 2nd & 20 at CAR 10​

(0:37 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Bridgewater pass short left to R.Smith ran ob at CAR 21 for 11 yards (C.Sullivan).

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats what I thought too.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "and loss of down" refers to the penalty being enforced but also the down counting. Unlike OPI, holding, false start, where the penalty is enforced but the down is replayed. Sounds like this is what you're asking?

And yeah, it's supposed to be enforced from where the QB threw the ball. Looks like a typo on the game log you posted. Happens all the time

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here was the play I was talking about with 8 yards. He threw it 8 yards back from the line of scrimmage but lost ten instead due to penalty. I think if he had been 12 yards back, they would have spotted it 12 yards back.
  • 2nd & 7 at IND 39​

(2:30 - 4th) A.Smith pass incomplete short right [C.Redding]. PENALTY on KC-A.Smith, Intentional Grounding, 10 yards, enforced at IND 39.
  • 3rd & 17 at IND 49​

(2:25 - 4th) A.Smith pass short middle to D.McCluster to IND 43 for 6 yards (V.Davis).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "and loss of down" refers to the penalty being enforced but also the down counting. Unlike OPI, holding, false start, where the penalty is enforced but the down is replayed. Sounds like this is what you're asking?

And yeah, it's supposed to be enforced from where the QB threw the ball. Looks like a typo on the game log you posted. Happens all the time

Thank you. But you lose a down and yards in a sack as well. And that’s why the emphasis on loss of down or yards bugs me. The emphasis should really be on the loss of yards only because throwing in a completion towards a receiver would have saved the yards, (but not the down).

I suppose, a holding penalty would save the down but not the yards. I just think announcers and fans get so upset at the quarterback in this situation. I know you can’t take a sack and you should know where your players are so you can get an incompletion instead, I just worry about a sack fumble or an interception more.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you. But you lose a down and yards in a sack as well. And that’s why the emphasis on loss of down or yards bugs me. The emphasis should really be on the loss of yards only because throwing in a completion towards a receiver would have saved the yards, (but not the down).

I suppose, a holding penalty would save the down but not the yards. I just think announcers and fans get so upset at the quarterback in this situation. I know you can’t take a sack and you should know where your players are so you can get an incompletion instead, I just worry about a sack fumble or an interception more.
Only other penalties with a loss of down, that I’m aware of, are illegal pass(entire body over the line of scrimmage) and illegal kick (entire body over line of scrimmage).

Intentional grounding can be more than ten yards if the spot of the foul is further than ten yards behind the line. Which almost never happens.

Also a safety if the pass is from their own End Zone.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But a sack is a play, not a penalty.

I see what you're saying if he was clearly only 8 yards back and it was a 10 yard penalty. Could be that it's minimum 10 yards.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL VIDEO RULEBOOK
RULE 8 SECTION 2
INTENTIONAL GROUNDING

It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion. A realistic chance of completion is defined as a pass that is thrown in the direction of and lands in the vicinity of an originally eligible receiver.

Item 1. Passer or Ball Outside Tackle Position. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, who is outside, or has been outside, the tackle position,throws a forward pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including when the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or endline). If the ball crosses the line of scrimmage (extended) beyond the sideline, there is no intentional grounding. If a loose ball leaves the area bordered by the tackles, this area no longer exists; if the ball is recovered, all intentional grounding rules apply as if the passer is outside this area.

Item 2. Physical Contact. Intentional grounding should not be called if:

the passer initiates his passing motion toward an eligible receiver and then is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the pass to land in an area that is not in the direction and vicinity of an eligible receiver; or
the passer is out of the pocket, and his passing motion is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the ball to land short of the line of scrimmage.
Item 3. Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.

Item 4. Delayed Spike. A passer, after delaying his passing action for strategic purposes, is prohibited from throwing the ball to the ground in front of him, even though he is under no pressure from defensive rusher(s).

Penalty: For intentional grounding:

loss of down and 10 yards from the previous spot; or

loss of down at the spot of the foul; or

if the passer is in his end zone when the ball is thrown, it is a safety. See 4-7 for actions to conserve time inside one minute of either half.

Note: If the foul occurs less than 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, but more than half the distance to the goal line, the ball is to be placed at the spot of the pass.