• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In Context: The Pace Rebuild

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DcNM503XcAA4y-r.png

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no doubt from moment one of Pace's hiring that one of the immediate goals of the organization was to get younger. Don't quote me on this, but I think at the time of his hiring we were one of the three or four oldest teams. Now I'm guessing we're in the bottom 5 in average age. At the same time, when you compare the players using the 2014 talent vs the talent of our current roster, not only are we younger, but I say a lot better to boot.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no doubt from moment one of Pace's hiring that one of the immediate goals of the organization was to get younger. Don't quote me on this, but I think at the time of his hiring we were one of the three or four oldest teams. Now I'm guessing we're in the bottom 5 in average age. At the same time, when you compare the players using the 2014 talent vs the talent of our current roster, not only are we younger, but I say a lot better to boot.

Acho and Chase Daniel will be our only 30 year old players this year. I think we might be the youngest team in the league.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that’s a big turnover. I’m not even sure most of the young players on that team are still playing in the nfl. Emery took over a declining team and ran the franchise straight into the ground. He can go fuck himself.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that’s a big turnover. I’m not even sure most of the young players on that team are still playing in the nfl. Emery took over a declining team and ran the franchise straight into the ground. He can go fuck himself.
Amen.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only noticeable downgrade is Jordan Howard.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I've been saying Phil Emery is my least favorite human being ever to grace Chicago sports since the conclusion of 2014. I get the feeling no one will pass him in that department. He is the majority share holder in responsibility for everything that has happened to us in the post-Lovie era.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've been saying Phil Emery is my least favorite human being ever to grace Chicago sports since the conclusion of 2014. I get the feeling no one will pass him in that department. He is the majority share holder in responsibility for everything that has happened to us in the post-Lovie era.
George Mccaskey and Ted Phillips are pretty close.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only noticeable downgrade is Jordan Howard.
Bahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

You’re going to hate on Howard for his entire journey as an NFL player. It’d be hilarious if his journey ended in the HOF. He’s got a chance since it’s so early in his career and he’s done nothing but succeed.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
George Mccaskey and Ted Phillips are pretty close.

No doubt, they had a role. As they hired Emery.

However, Emery was given the reigns after 2011. Pieced together one of our worst drafts in recent memory. He dumped Lovie after a 10 win season in 2012, dumped Urlacher and begin putting his "vision" into place. That "vision" wound up being the ensuing catastrophe. The Cutler contract, the Trestman hire, letting Cutler have separate interviews and input in the Trestman hire. The move to get Marshall, when the entire league most assuredly was advising against taking him on. Then, the psychotic spending sprees on every big name free agent in sight. Creating cap hell. Which is one thing when it it gives you a shot at a Super Bowl... but when it leads to 5-11 and nearly every single signing flops? Holy shit - that's an NFL nightmare.

All of that was orchestrated by him. He created this near-impossible project that Pace inherited. Yeah... there are other people on the secondary list of culprits. However, Emery is the unquestioned "public enemy #1" - if you're looking for the guy to pin it on.

EDIT: (This part has nothing to do with your post) Say what you want about the Lovie/Angelo days. They didn't have the ability to push our offense over the hump and turn us into a champion. However, from the day Lovie took over - on through the day he was fired by Emery. We were respected and we competed. No one took us lightly. Since then, we've been a god damn punchline. I suppose you could say we weren't in 2013, as we were a broken coverage away from winning the North. However, going 8-8 in a Rodger-less NFCN. Which also included sub .500 Detroit and Minnesota. That's BARELY scraping over the line of "respectable".

Last edited:

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, they had a role. As they hired Emery.

However, Emery was given the reigns after 2011. Pieced together one of our worst drafts in recent memory. He dumped Lovie after a 10 win season in 2012, dumped Urlacher and begin putting his "vision" into place. That "vision" wound up being the ensuing catastrophe. The Cutler contract, the Trestman hire, letting Cutler have separate interviews and input in the Trestman hire. The move to get Marshall, when the entire league most assuredly was advising against taking him on. Then, the psychotic spending sprees on every big name free agent in sight. Creating cap hell. Which is one thing when it it gives you a shot at a Super Bowl... but when it leads to 5-11 and nearly every single signing flops? Holy shit - that's an NFL nightmare.

All of that was orchestrated by him. He created this near-impossible project that Pace inherited. Yeah... there are other people on the secondary list of culprits. However, Emery is the unquestioned "public enemy #1" - if you're looking for the guy to pin it on.

EDIT: (This part has nothing to do with your post) Say what you want about the Lovie/Angelo days. They didn't have the ability to push our offense over the hump and turn us into a champion. However, from the day Lovie took over - on through the day he was fired by Emery. We were respected and we competed. No one took us lightly. Since then, we've been a god damn punchline. I suppose you could say we weren't in 2013, as we were a broken coverage away from winning the North. However, going 8-8 in a Rodger-less NFCN. Which also included sub .500 Detroit and Minnesota. That's BARELY scraping over the line of "respectable".
Yeah, but mccaskey and Phillips were responsible for the terrible teams of the 90s, too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what Pace has done but a hundred million in FA misses and 4 years to get to this point. I really believe Pace sucked his first 2 years and got better. He was a rookie GM and now a experienced GM. I can see a huge difference. If Pace's QB pick works out, I see us being good for the next 10 years.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what Pace has done but a hundred million in FA misses and 4 years to get to this point. I really believe Pace sucked his first 2 years and got better. He was a rookie GM and now a experienced GM. I can see a huge difference. If Pace's QB pick works out, I see us being good for the next 10 years.
I don't think he sucked, but I'll agree this is without question his best offseason since taking over as GM. The arrow is finally pointing upward.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like what Pace has done but a hundred million in FA misses

Link?

4 years to get to this point

Well, of course. This was always going to be a 5 year project. There wasn't any other way. We were also tied into Cutler and another number of horrible Emery deals for his first two years. It was as big of a dumpster fire as you could inherit.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL's Best GMs 2018 - Rotoworld.com

Wasn't sure where to put this?
But Rotoworld (aka Patrick Daugherty) did a ranking of all 32 NFL GM's.
Ryan Pace is ranked 23. Didn't expect him in the top 10, but some of the GM's ahead of Pace are head-sscratchers to me. But what do I know?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL's Best GMs 2018 - Rotoworld.com

Wasn't sure where to put this?
But Rotoworld (aka Patrick Daugherty) did a ranking of all 32 NFL GM's.
Ryan Pace is ranked 23. Didn't expect him in the top 10, but some of the GM's ahead of Pace are head-sscratchers to me. But what do I know?

I mean, any ranking is based off of accomplishment. Pace's are all ahead of him - we hope. It makes sense to me.

Can't grade a guy with no achievements to note.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have Pace at 23. I wonder where he was ranked last year - it wouldn't surprise me if he was in the upper 20's. And if we have at least a .500 or (hopefully) better season, I could see him jumping into the teens when they come out with the list next year.