• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Impact Wrestling

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Thursday's (30 Apr) episode of Impact I'm ready to give up on the company. I know it's still early in the new regime BUT WTF was that??? It's WrestleMania week and you air that turd of a show. Your Heavyweight Champ and the guy that beat him on his first night back in the company only to have the title stripped are no where to be found. I have no idea what that opening segment was supposed to be. Was that a booking committee meeting that happened minutes before you started taping or well, I literally have no idea. I've been watching wrestling for over 45 years and that was the dumbest most mind numbing segment I have ever seen. Trying to make Josh Mathews into a Heel Michael Cole, Version 2 is THE dumbest idea I've seen in over 45 years and is being executed the worst too!!!

IMO Impact is trying to be WWE lite again and I've been there, seen that when they tried that several times before and failed miserably at it every time! That's it, I'm through giving TNA/Impact any more of my precious time!!!

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gave Impact a ratings bump temporarily, sure. I never disputed that. However, the creative team failed to keep the juice going and the ratings started to dip. The same creative that consisted of Billy Corgan and Dave Lagana.

Problem with Impact wasn't Billy Corgan or Dave Lagana, even though I've been critical of them in this thread. It was Dixie Carter. Their current situation is because of her.

I also agree that ECW was unique its own way, but it was heavily influenced by Memphis. That is one of the reasons why Lawler dislikes Heyman.

Also, the (temporary) ratings bump that Impact received by it is irrelevant. Pop TV is happy with Impact, because they don't have to give Impact anything but a timeslot. Impact could have continued drawing 250k and Pop TV would have been cool with it. My entire point was that the Broken gimmick didn't move the needle at all and the fact that Anthem currently owns the company right now, with Dixie Carter being completely out of the picture, supports that opinion.

Impact, as a company, had its greatest run creatively when D'Amore was the head booker (May 2005-September 2006) with Mantel on the committee, imo. Shortly after they got the Spike TV deal (October 2005) and were well positioned for success until they had the rug pulled from under them in September of 2006.

As far as ECW being influenced by Memphis that's too vague of a point to really argue. ECW let the wrestlers do a lot of their own promos and storylines so there probably a ton of different influences but in totality it was completely unique. In general I'm not disputing how important Memphis was as a territory. But in 2017 I like an ECW/Heyman influenced group running a company as long as it has its own vision that's not a retread or about nosalgia pops.

Since you keep mentioning ratings went back to pre-Final Deletion levels, I researched it and found some facts. They had a 6 show stretch in February and March that did sub 300 k viewers. They had one show over the entire stretch between the Final Deletion and Corgan leaving the company that did a number that poor. 13 of their 14 highest rated episodes in 2016 were in the the 4 month span between FD and Corgan exiting the company. It wasn't the NWO historical gamechanger but it gave Impact a modest ratings bump when they desperately needed it.

As far as Edwards winning the title being a mistake I completely agree. They had done a great job building up Lashley as a monster heel and that wasn't the right guy to beat him.

I've brought up Ted Turner in other posts recently. But a billionaire is the only way a wrestling company other than WWE will ever be mainstream again. For companies like TNA, ROH it's about finding their own niche in the marketplace. ROH has done a much better job of establishing that identity. With the Broken Matt angle I think it worked because of the absurdity and bombast. Even if 9 out of 10 fans ( outside of the internet wrestling cult) would hate that angle the 1 in 10 who did liked it would become a fan.

This is all a moot point. Corgan didn't get the company. I'm just explaining why I was more interested in TNA 6 months ago than now.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Thursday's (30 Apr) episode of Impact I'm ready to give up on the company. I know it's still early in the new regime BUT WTF was that??? It's WrestleMania week and you air that turd of a show. Your Heavyweight Champ and the guy that beat him on his first night back in the company only to have the title stripped are no where to be found. I have no idea what that opening segment was supposed to be. Was that a booking committee meeting that happened minutes before you started taping or well, I literally have no idea. I've been watching wrestling for over 45 years and that was the dumbest most mind numbing segment I have ever seen. Trying to make Josh Mathews into a Heel Michael Cole, Version 2 is THE dumbest idea I've seen in over 45 years and is being executed the worst too!!!

IMO Impact is trying to be WWE lite again and I've been there, seen that when they tried that several times before and failed miserably at it every time! That's it, I'm through giving TNA/Impact any more of my precious time!!!

Holy over-reaction, batman.

Also, Impact has largely been WWE lite since September 2006. They aren't trying to become WWE lite "again", that is what they have been for over a decade.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy over-reaction, batman.

Also, Impact has largely been WWE lite since September 2006. They aren't trying to become WWE lite "again", that is what they have been for over a decade.

Yes they are. Under Corrigan they had gotten away from trying to be WWE lite. Now they're back to that again. I'm done waiting for them to get better. Done I say.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they are. Under Corrigan they had gotten away from trying to be WWE lite. Now they're back to that again. I'm done waiting for them to get better. Done I say.

Care to name a few examples why you feel this way?

Here is why I disagree:

1.) X-Divison wasn't emphasized while Corgan was there. Want to know when TNA has a WWE lite product? Check on how much they emphasize the X-Division.
2.) Sienna/Allie/Maria fiasco in the KO's Division. Allie, the KO's Champion, just hands over the belt to Maria. Sorry, but that just screams WWE lite.
3.) The Corgan/Dixie storyline on TV. Yes, that was a storyline that doesn't scream WWE lite at all.
4.) A hilariously weak tag team division. You know what company that has failed tag team wrestling over the past few years? It starts with W and ends with E.
5.) Don't think putting the belt on Edwards was WWE lite, but it was still absolutely horrible decision. Yay, let's put the title on a guy with very little charisma, while we have guys like Lashley and ECIII on the roster.
6.) Consistently used the open segment as ways to set up the main event later that night. That is WWE lite personified.
7.) The product felt more like WWE 2016 than it felt like WCW 1996 or old school ECW or anything else for that matter.
8.) Lets not forget the dogshit roster, but that wasn't Corgan's fault. Dixie kept signing shit guys to nice deals (I'm looking at you Mike Bennett and Aron Rex)

Also, the booking meeting segment being the worst segment in 45 years is a laughable claim. I didn't agree with the way the segment was being presented, but there have been far worse segments. It did bring a bit of realism, but there are better ways to present that than what they chose to go with.

In short, I think the "Corgan era" of TNA was more guilty of being more WWE lite than the new regime's first three Impact's have. I do believe for the most part that the roster the new regime was handed is pretty incompatible with the vision that they have, which is why the first few shows have been a mixed bag. D'Amore and Mantel having a history of presenting shows with a sports like feel to them has me intrigued, but we'll see. Re-unions in wrestling often end up in disaster.

Last edited:

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say...

Watched Slammaversy tonight. Was Extremely impressed, they might something brewing now

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im kinda curious about something but it might be Storyline.

During the match between ECIII (still think the WWE made a mistake with him) and James Storm. Storm hits a last call and goes for another but falls.

What is odd is there is no Injury update saying he is a ok or he is injured. Kinda odd don't you gents think?

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im kinda curious about something but it might be Storyline.

During the match between ECIII (still think the WWE made a mistake with him) and James Storm. Storm hits a last call and goes for another but falls.

What is odd is there is no Injury update saying he is a ok or he is injured. Kinda odd don't you gents think?

Definitely a storyline. EC3 hit Storm with an Angel Wings after Storm collapsed. Demonstrated that EC3 is a cold SOB.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought it was a very good, maybe even great, PPV.

Lucha match served its purpose, D'Angelo Williams was pretty incredible in his first match, Strap match was solid, Matthews/Borash going into Total Nonstop Deletion mode was great, FMM was decent enough for what it was, X-Division match was very good, KO's match was meh and the World Title match was very good, despite the weak finish. This is a type of event that Impact can use as a springboard to gain some momentum.

Just listened to Meltzer's review of the show. Think Big Dave is watching way too much puro. He criticized Impact for using North American pro wrestling 101 tactics (managerial distractions, lack of psychology in a hardcore themed match such as Full Metal Mayhem). Called it a dated product, which is weird. Was pretty funny because he referred to 6 (of the 8 matches) on the card as "good matches".

I like NJPW, but I don't think its having the impact in North America that Dave thinks it is. Its style of booking isn't going to be making waves in North America anytime soon, so I think its silly to call a company that uses traditional North American booking in its shows "dated". Its even sillier when you consider that 6 out of the 8 matches last night, had clean finishes.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Dutt over Ki is somewhat meh. Would have preferred to see Ki regain the title.

El Patron as World Heavyweight Champ is also meh if the plan isn't for him to lose the belt to EC3 @ BFG.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So its worth it to look up the DeAngelo Williams match? I keep seeing people talk about how blown away they were by him. Like not "oh he was ok for a famous person good", I mean "dude was legitmately good at wrestling".

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought it was a very good, maybe even great, PPV.

Lucha match served its purpose, D'Angelo Williams was pretty incredible in his first match, Strap match was solid, Matthews/Borash going into Total Nonstop Deletion mode was great, FMM was decent enough for what it was, X-Division match was very good, KO's match was meh and the World Title match was very good, despite the weak finish. This is a type of event that Impact can use as a springboard to gain some momentum.

Just listened to Meltzer's review of the show. Think Big Dave is watching way too much puro. He criticized Impact for using North American pro wrestling 101 tactics (managerial distractions, lack of psychology in a hardcore themed match such as Full Metal Mayhem). Called it a dated product, which is weird. Was pretty funny because he referred to 6 (of the 8 matches) on the card as "good matches".

I like NJPW, but I don't think its having the impact in North America that Dave thinks it is. Its style of booking isn't going to be making waves in North America anytime soon, so I think its silly to call a company that uses traditional North American booking in its shows "dated". Its even sillier when you consider that 6 out of the 8 matches last night, had clean finishes.

That is why I can't stand Wrestling Pundits.

I honestly thoroughly enjoyed the PPV. Liked the brawl chemistry in the Metal Mayhem.

I'm a purist so i hated the non stop stuff. But the backstage segment of the tag match was well done.

I gotta say thete are some Celebrity announcers who don't belong behind the mic( one certainly comes to mind in the late 2000's) but Flores did a fantastic job.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So its worth it to look up the DeAngelo Williams match? I keep seeing people talk about how blown away they were by him. Like not "oh he was ok for a famous person good", I mean "dude was legitmately good at wrestling".

It is. He might have something if he retires. Took some decent bumps as well

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I didn't see the match but I've heard the hype and it's not surprising. He's a life-long wrestling fan that did this because he loves it. Plus as an athlete he was a first round draft pick who averaged 4.7 ypc over a ten year career (for anyone who doesn't follow the NFL closely that's elite. From this era Adrian Peterson and Jamal Charles are the only qualifying RBs who are better in that stat)
So loves wrestling, freak of nature athlete, not doing it for a paycheck. Glad he did well.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why I can't stand Wrestling Pundits.

I honestly thoroughly enjoyed the PPV. Liked the brawl chemistry in the Metal Mayhem.

I'm a purist so i hated the non stop stuff. But the backstage segment of the tag match was well done.

I gotta say thete are some Celebrity announcers who don't belong behind the mic( one certainly comes to mind in the late 2000's) but Flores did a fantastic job.

I'm not a big fan of it either, but I thought its placement was perfect here for the Borash/Park vs Steiner/Matthews match.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fucking detest the Meltzers of the wrestling world.

He's nothing more than the original internet smark who tosses around insider terminology to make himself look like he is someone in the know. All he is is a self-important jackass.

Remember. People who can. Do. People who can't. Critique.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, FWIW, most wrestling pundits raved about Slammiversary.

Meltzer had good things to say about it, but he was also full of backhanded compliments as well.

His comments just reeked of "Well, it wasn't done like it is in NJPW, so its a dated product." I can't recall one ref bump last night (which is odd in American wrestling), which is probably the most over-used spot in American wrestling. Also, they went all Total Nonstop deletion on us last night, when they could have subjected us to Jenna Morasca vs Sharmell Part II. Just a very odd statement by Meltzer.

So weird. I watch quite a bit of NJPW (and NOAH), and I think the hardcore puro fans are greatly over-estimating the impact NJPW's recent success has had in America. Also, NJPW has plenty of interference finishes:

-Both of AJ Styles' IWGP Heavyweight title wins were the result of outside interference from the Bullet Club
-Naito defeated Okada last year for the IWGP Heavyweight title, after Sanada debuted and attacked Okada.

Just looked it up, just about every IWGP Heavyweight title change since 2014 have had some type of outside shenanigans going on. That isn't the sign of an outdated product, its a sign that it is pro wrestling.

I'm an observer subscriber, but I only subscribe for the #scoops. I don't agree with a lot of his wrestling opinions. Looking back at old observers, it really is hilarious at how wrong Meltzer can be when he tries to predict the future, without any inside knowledge.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the match but I've heard the hype and it's not surprising. He's a life-long wrestling fan that did this because he loves it. Plus as an athlete he was a first round draft pick who averaged 4.7 ypc over a ten year career (for anyone who doesn't follow the NFL closely that's elite. From this era Adrian Peterson and Jamal Charles are the only qualifying RBs who are better in that stat)
So loves wrestling, freak of nature athlete, not doing it for a paycheck. Glad he did well.

Maybe he should go full time then. He's close to empty as far as his NFL career goes. He might not think so but the league doesn't look too kindly on guys his age coming off injury.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he should go full time then. He's close to empty as far as his NFL career goes. He might not think so but the league doesn't look too kindly on guys his age coming off injury.

To be honest. With some of stuff he did. He might fit in well with the x-division