• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Imagine if Kawhi's name were Russell Westbrook right about now...

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...And all the hate he'd be receiving for his recent antics. :doh:

In all seriousness, this whole situation has dragged on far too long and is frankly not making me hate Paul George so much anymore. The shit Kawhi has put Gregg Popovich through in a year in which his wife passed is absolutely despicable.

Trade his ass to Atlanta for Kent Bazemore and a 2nd round pick. Make him spend a year of his prime in a hapless situation. I wish some teams had the balls to do this with their malcontent problem child...And it also sends a reminder of just how fortunate the Pacers were to get Oladipo and Sabonis when they did.

As for Westbrook himself, he should be given all the credit in the world for having the balls to commit his entire career to one franchise. And I'm not even an OKC fan...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In all seriousness, this whole situation has dragged on far too long and is frankly not making me hate Paul George so much anymore. The shit Kawhi has put Gregg Popovich through in a year in which his wife passed is absolutely despicable.

Trade his ass to Atlanta for Kent Bazemore and a 2nd round pick. Make him spend a year of his prime in a hapless situation. I wish some teams had the balls to do this with their malcontent problem child...And it also sends a reminder of just how fortunate the Pacers were to get Oladipo and Sabonis when they did.

As for Westbrook himself, he should be given all the credit in the world for having the balls to commit his entire career to one franchise. And I'm not even an OKC fan...

If a team pulled a stunt like that, no free agent of consequence would ever sign there.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure does suck seeing players wanting a say in their own career and lives. /s

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if Kawhi just stayed in our preconceived box of notions about him: shy, quiet, loyal, humble, whatever. The man is growing up, and changing, and that makes some people mad. I'm fascinated.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that would be weird. To have two Russell Westbrooks in the NBA? What if they both joined the same team? I bet one would have R.Westbrook on the back of his jersey and the other would just have Westbrook. I mean, the alternative would be to have Westbrook and Westbrook I. Or maybe simply having different jersey numbers would suffice? Because I assume they would look different still.

;)

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great idea. I hope San Antonio does that.

Then, Atlanta can turn around and deal him to LA for Ingram, Ball, DEng and a couple picks.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's pissed me off too. But as a Spurs fan, I'm nowhere near intrigued enough for a trade with Atlanta regardless of what they have unless it's a high draft pick and that's about it.

Maybe if Kawhi just stayed in our preconceived box of notions about him: shy, quiet, loyal, humble, whatever. The man is growing up, and changing, and that makes some people mad. I'm fascinated.
I disagree that he's growing up. In my opinion, he's acting like a child. If the report is true that he did the meeting anyways and played hard to get a hold of just because he was angry, instead of being a man and answering his phone and getting this done quickly, then fuck him.

It's fine to want to be traded but he's making it way more difficult than it needs to be. He needs to grow up and talk and stop letting everyone else do the talking for him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I totally agree.

This really is a great post since no one else was really saying it.

The Spurs drafted Kawhi 14-- developed him.....and then he basically shits on them by refusing to play, and then demands a trade?

It really is despicable when you think about it.

If any other superstar acted like this he would be getting fried. The image of the Spurs organization and their competence is one of the only things saving him right now ironically.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he can DEFINITELY have a say in his own career and life--- when he is a free agent.

instead he babied an injury for months, and then is whining when he has a year left on his deal--- reportedly made it hard to get a meeting since apparently he does not have the balls to say what he wants to say (or what people are whispering in his ear) to Popovich face to face as a man until Popovich travled to him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fine to want to be traded but he's making it way more difficult than it needs to be. He needs to grow up and talk and stop letting everyone else do the talking for him.
seee this is where i even disagree--- like Kyrie who tried to use his injury to gain leverage "wah wah if you dont trade me ill just sit out and have surgery wah wah"--- the guy has a year left on his deal. What would stop him from being a man, playing out the contract that he signed- and then when he is a free agent and has the right to do whatever he wants- to then do whatever he wants- instead of holding the organization that drafted him late in the lotto, developed him, put him with all time greats like Duncan, Popovich, Manu, Parker etc. to groom him, only to see him baby an injury and whine about playing in a place that has gotten him a ring. It kind of makes me sick--- and if it was Russell Westbrook or John Wall or just about anyone else in the league- everyone would be frying him right now--- but as i said in my other post- ironically the Spurs spotless reputation is actually protecting him to a certain extent.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, if there were two superstars in the NBA both named "Russell Westbrook" then I imagine there would be a lot of kids born over the last two years and into the next 5 or so years that would be named "Russell Westbrook".

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He had a say in 2014 when he signed a contract to make close to $100M. He CHOSE to sign it for the cash.

It actually does suck to see people not want to honor contracts.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree.

The Spurs drafted Kawhi 14-- developed him.....and then he basically shits on them by refusing to play, and then demands a trade?

If any other superstar acted like this he would be getting fried. The image of the Spurs organization and their competence is one of the only things saving him right now ironically.

That's because we don't know the severity of his quad injury. After all of the time he had off, he still had issues with the quad. Sorry, but Isiah Thomas will now go down as a constant reminder that playing hurt for the team comes at a price. For IT, it cost him $150 million and having his family set for life. Team doctors are on the side of the team in trying to get a player back out on the court as opposed to looking out for the player's long term health.

And the Spurs didn't do themselves any favors when Popovich started having his players call out publicly in the media.

Remember you got on Riley for challenging Lebron in his 2014 post-season exit conference? This is sort of the same thing, but worst on the Spurs part.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree.

His doctors disagreed with the Spurs doctors and said he came back too early and wasn't ready.

As far as it being someone else, didn't Kyrie basically do the same thing last offseason? But because it involved Lebron and the Cavs, everyone either pointed and laughed or sided with Kyrie.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with Kawhi choosing to sit out the season if he believes that his injury has not recovered. It's his body.
I have no problem with Kawhi being upset with the Spurs. In particular I understand him being upset at Manu and Parker for their comments. Players shouldn't call out other players like that publicly.
I have no problem with Kawhi wanted to play in LA.

Where I DO have a problem is with him making it public that he wants to leave and that he plans to sign with LA when his contract expires. That's shitty. It was shitty when George did as well.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His doctors disagreed with the Spurs doctors and said he came back too early and wasn't ready.

As far as it being someone else, didn't Kyrie basically do the same thing last offseason? But because it involved Lebron and the Cavs, everyone either pointed and laughed or sided with Kyrie.

Kyrie didn't leak to the press that he would only sign with one specific team.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with Kawhi choosing to sit out the season if he believes that his injury has not recovered. It's his body.
I have no problem with Kawhi being upset with the Spurs. In particular I understand him being upset at Manu and Parker for their comments. Players shouldn't call out other players like that publicly.
I have no problem with Kawhi wanted to play in LA.

Where I DO have a problem is with him making it public that he wants to leave and that he plans to sign with LA when his contract expires. That's shitty. It was shitty when George did as well.

I agree. Give your preference to a team, but don't force them into a tough position where they have to take minimal value for you in return. It'd be nice if they have a clause in the next CBA that prevents a player from doing this; sort of a fine if you will.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Give your preference to a team, but don't force them into a tough position where they have to take minimal value for you in return. It'd be nice if they have a clause in the next CBA that prevents a player from doing this; sort of a fine if you will.

The problem is that it is trivially easy to dodge it. Kawhi hasn't said anything yet. He let's someone from his posse say it. Thus plausible deniability.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd rather see a rule that creates a medical arbitration board, and if that board of 3rd party doctors agree you are fit to play and you still don't then your contract gets paused.

That would also include players who choose to sit out in order to force a trade. Fine, sit on the bench or sit at home. You won't get paid and your contract doesn't progress. You signed it, you play for it. If the team cuts you then you still get your money (unless you agree to a lower buy out rate), so why shouldn't the player be forced to honor his contract as well?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see a rule that creates a medical arbitration board, and if that board of 3rd party doctors agree you are fit to play and you still don't then your contract gets paused.

That would also include players who choose to sit out in order to force a trade. Fine, sit on the bench or sit at home. You won't get paid and your contract doesn't progress. You signed it, you play for it. If the team cuts you then you still get your money (unless you agree to a lower buy out rate), so why shouldn't the player be forced to honor his contract as well?
totally agree.

give me what i want or ill dog it and fake an injury is really pathetic