• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Iggy must be proof of a BPA pick

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part the Bears have received rave reviews from just about every sports blog, analyst, you name it, for their draft. Even when they go pick by pick, most of Pace's selections have been highly regarded, with one glaring exception: Iggy. There seems to be two primary reasons the pundits didn't like this pick, even tho they all recognize he's pretty athletic as far as ILBs go.

#1 is he seems to be a repeat of the Roquan pick, a Smith Lite, so to speak. The argument is the Bears have sufficient depth there, especially now that Smith will likely bump Kwiatkoski to back up, so why another one?

#2 is there were apparently some worthy pass rushers still on the board at the time, for an area of much greater need than another ILB who will likely play primarily on STs.

I think both arguments have merit, after all, didn't we all feel that EDGE was one of our most dire needs, if not THE most needed? I know I sure did. But if we look a bit closer, it may be that Pace had the right idea in mind. He is a staunch believer in the BPA approach to drafting, and he even said that he and his staff simply felt the batch of EDGE players overall wasn't very deep. I think they had Iggy graded as a late 2nd/early 3rd rd candidate, so they were happy when he fell to them. A second, unspoken reason tho is the inconsistent health of both Trevathan and Kwiatkoski. I'm not sure we're going to see either one, especially Trevathan, in a Bears uniform in a couple more years. And let's not forget that Iggy has played both inside and outside linebacker, so he may end up being cross trained for the OLB/EDGE as well.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of agree about the edge rushers not being deep in this draft. They were talking about Landry in the first and and he has no other qualities other then getting after the QB. It makes sense they didn’t spend much on pass rushers. That Fitts guy could be good if he stays healthy.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of agree about the edge rushers not being deep in this draft. They were talking about Landry in the first and and he has no other qualities other then getting after the QB. It makes sense they didn’t spend much on pass rushers. That Fitts guy could be good if he stays healthy.

I heard some exclaim total confusion about how far he dropped and that we got great value. Obviously, we'll have to see.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard some exclaim total confusion about how far he dropped and that we got great value. Obviously, we'll have to see.
Well, he’s only gotta play in certain situations right now. Floyd, Lynch, and Fitts could form a solid OLB group on a good defense.