• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I am starting to think Leake and Gonzales gives us the best chance to win

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Felix has the pedigree and Paxton has the more dominant stuff ....

But with either Leake or Gonzales you know what to expect out of them and they seemingly deliver a more consistent outing every start. Yea its early and spring was a small sample size and each only has 1 regular season start to date.

Their highs and lows seem to have less of variance. Which I guess equates to more predictable steady well pitched performances.

Its obvious once again the players have to win the games. Sadly our inexperienced mgr is not capable of gametime changes - substitutions or decisions to help us win ( leaving Paxton in yesterday when the RH reliever was ready to go - result = 3rd time pitched to their big 3 hole hitter and he goes yard to tie the game ) then the hilariously stupid pinch hitting end of the game with Marjama

Simple and easily preventable base running blunders are hurting us again like last years same problems. Have already had a couple guys picked off base and Seager over runs a base and out and yesterdays game with Segura on 3rd and broke for home 1st contact and thrown out by 45 feet.

All stupid bone headed plays that a mgr needs to address and correct so they occur far less frequently. Its happening at least once a game it seems.

I just hate a poorly played sloppy game where players bad decisions and lack of good calls from a mgr turns what could be a W into a loss.

Its amazing how a single poorly played game or 2 can change your perspective on a ball club. After the win at SF and we sat 3-1 and had Felix and then Paxton primed and ready to go the next 2 games ... I thought: man the M's are in a great spot to start this season 8-2 vs last years 2-8 start.

Old bad habits die hard ... and the 2018 Ms seem to be who we thought they were. Not alot has changed other than a few faces and salaries. Key guys are out of the line up due to injuries and half the line up is struggling well below the Mendoza line.

Play Ball !!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Felix has the pedigree and Paxton has the more dominant stuff ....

But with either Leake or Gonzales you know what to expect out of them and they seemingly deliver a more consistent outing every start. Yea its early and spring was a small sample size and each only has 1 regular season start to date.

Their highs and lows seem to have less of variance. Which I guess equates to more predictable steady well pitched performances.

Its obvious once again the players have to win the games. Sadly our inexperienced mgr is not capable of gametime changes - substitutions or decisions to help us win ( leaving Paxton in yesterday when the RH reliever was ready to go - result = 3rd time pitched to their big 3 hole hitter and he goes yard to tie the game ) then the hilariously stupid pinch hitting end of the game with Marjama

Simple and easily preventable base running blunders are hurting us again like last years same problems. Have already had a couple guys picked off base and Seager over runs a base and out and yesterdays game with Segura on 3rd and broke for home 1st contact and thrown out by 45 feet.

All stupid bone headed plays that a mgr needs to address and correct so they occur far less frequently. Its happening at least once a game it seems.

I just hate a poorly played sloppy game where players bad decisions and lack of good calls from a mgr turns what could be a W into a loss.

Its amazing how a single poorly played game or 2 can change your perspective on a ball club. After the win at SF and we sat 3-1 and had Felix and then Paxton primed and ready to go the next 2 games ... I thought: man the M's are in a great spot to start this season 8-2 vs last years 2-8 start.

Old bad habits die hard ... and the 2018 Ms seem to be who we thought they were. Not alot has changed other than a few faces and salaries. Key guys are out of the line up due to injuries and half the line up is struggling well below the Mendoza line.

Play Ball !!

They can help win games during the season, but if you don't have a true ACE or two then playoff games become scary. Cart before the horse I know, but Paxton/Felix will not carry you in the playoffs and Gonzales/Leake are Game 3 type starters with the bullpen on full stand by.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it would shock me if Felix is the 4th best out of those 4. It may be unfair to judge him based on the last start because he is still essentially in spring training form. Adrenaline probably helped on opening day but realistically he hasn't thrown enough to be season ready yet but it was important for everyone that he pitched opening night.

With Paxton I question whether he has the mentality to be an ace. The stuff is ace quality not a doubt in my mind but there is just something missing there attitude wise. IF he doesn't have his best stuff then he often cant overcome that in a given outing.

I think Leake is a solid 3 and seems to be the best bet to go 7 innings. I still think we have probably seen his ceiling tho so a rough patch for him will likely come soon.

Marco was my sleeper going into the year. His first start was decent but he still had some issues second time thru the order which was his major issue last year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it would shock me if Felix is the 4th best out of those 4. It may be unfair to judge him based on the last start because he is still essentially in spring training form. Adrenaline probably helped on opening day but realistically he hasn't thrown enough to be season ready yet but it was important for everyone that he pitched opening night.

He is, but M's will never say or put him there. If they made the playoffs, you know they would pitch him 1st or 2nd.

With Paxton I question whether he has the mentality to be an ace. The stuff is ace quality not a doubt in my mind but there is just something missing there attitude wise. IF he doesn't have his best stuff then he often cant overcome that in a given outing.

He is Bedard 2.0 all the way down to the mental makeup.

I think Leake is a solid 3 and seems to be the best bet to go 7 innings. I still think we have probably seen his ceiling tho so a rough patch for him will likely come soon.

Absolutely! I was dismissive of the trade because he seems to fade in the 2nd half of seasons, but he might be my favorite based on his consistency.

Marco was my sleeper going into the year. His first start was decent but he still had some issues second time thru the order which was his major issue last year.

When I harden spring training he wasn't throwing his best pitch last year because of the injury, I regained hope in him. I have no issues with him and I hope he plays another 5 years for us at a nice #3 SP rate. I will take better, but I am fine if that is who is is.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paxton doesn't have the ace mentality like Felix or Randy but when he has been called out by Servais for his mentality he has pitched lights out.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely need to see more starts from these guys... I think I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from each guy but I think there is still some unknowns with these guys. I think Marco has pretty looked good for the most part over spring training and his first start but I think he still has some work to do.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on servais...if he cant make timely decisions then move him back too the front office
and hire a guy who can.....soon...lol
he is your supply officer...not your line lieutenant ..unfortunately for us ....lol

Last edited:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy about Leake and Gonzales for sure... Looks like they can be a solid 3/4 punch in the order... Still like to see a few more outings from Gonzales though before I get too comfortable with him... I still believe Paxson will come around and give us a very solid #2 man in the rotation... But Felix? I do not have any faith in him... I'll be surprised if he finishes the season with an ERA under 5.00... 9 wins 10 losses is about where I see him... If this is what happens, this team will have a hard time finding themselves in the postseason...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy about Leake and Gonzales for sure... Looks like they can be a solid 3/4 punch in the order... Still like to see a few more outings from Gonzales though before I get too comfortable with him... I still believe Paxson will come around and give us a very solid #2 man in the rotation... But Felix? I do not have any faith in him... I'll be surprised if he finishes the season with an ERA under 5.00... 9 wins 10 losses is about where I see him... If this is what happens, this team will have a hard time finding themselves in the postseason...

OK, I'm not that comfortable with him right now...

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same here

That was a fucking poor game pitching and hitting

Made that guy look like a Cy Young candidate
That game made me think of last season when we'd play games where the wheels would fall off and we got nailed. Hard to believe this happened with the royals. Game was a total joke and hoping Gonzo was not showing his true colors.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That game made me think of last season when we'd play games where the wheels would fall off and we got nailed. Hard to believe this happened with the royals. Game was a total joke and hoping Gonzo was not showing his true colors.

Thank goodness I was out to dinner all evening and missed the entire game start to finish

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to panic on Gonzales after 1 bad start where he clearly didn't have his stuff. I will say, however, that I keep hearing the broadcasters talk about how he can get his fastball up to 92-94, but the best one of I've seen from him so far was 92...and it's normally been 89-91. If he truly can hit 94 then I think he's going to have a solid year, but I think he's in trouble if 90/91 is really all he has.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to panic on Gonzales after 1 bad start where he clearly didn't have his stuff. I will say, however, that I keep hearing the broadcasters talk about how he can get his fastball up to 92-94, but the best one of I've seen from him so far was 92...and it's normally been 89-91. If he truly can hit 94 then I think he's going to have a solid year, but I think he's in trouble if 90/91 is really all he has.

Nor I

I think we have a collection of pitchers on our staff who clearly none of them are an ace and argualbly none of them are a clear consistent #2 guy in a strong rotation.

That equals alot of head scratching and frustration mixed in with amazement and joy.

There is zero chance any of our starters post up a season ERA of 3.0 or less NEVER happen
Our best hope is we get at least 1 of them into the upper 3s ( around 3.85ish )
3 of them will settle into 4.0 to 4.6 territory. Nothing special for sure but you gotta push them out to the bump cause you ain't got nothing better to throw at them

1 of our starters will not eclipse 100 innings so the stats will be meaningless for a seasons work.

Looks like 2018 is gonna be a wild ride and nothing consistant - which is what you want and expect a good team to do ( we aint a good team ) Going to be some games pitching is lights out and we shut them down then other games will be like the recent KC 10-0 laugher.

Some games our offense will score so many runs it doesn't matter how bad our pitching was. Then other games Seager-itis infects the entire line up and we lose 2-0

buckle up

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is zero chance any of our starters post up a season ERA of 3.0 or less NEVER happen
You do realize Paxton just posted a sub-3 ERA last season, right?

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize Paxton just posted a sub-3 ERA last season, right?

Then he better start pitching alot of games like the 1st half 2017 Big Maple then ... or my prediction holds true

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then he better start pitching alot of games like the 1st half 2017 Big Maple then ... or my prediction holds true
Prediction? Well, what you essentially did was state none of our pitchers were capable of a sub-3 ERA when in fact it just happened last season. You really going to claim to be correct if Paxton comes in a 3.1 ERA in '18??

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prediction? Well, what you essentially did was state none of our pitchers were capable of a sub-3 ERA when in fact it just happened last season. You really going to claim to be correct if Paxton comes in a 3.1 ERA in '18??

Yea I see your word play now

hell I am capable of throwing a sub 3 ERA when its interpreted like that.

If Paxton comes in at anything mid 3s he had a nice season and I will be 1st to tip my cap to him. Leake has a shot at uppers 3s if he keeps rolling along. Felix Gonzo Ramirez and whomever pops in from Tacoma are going to decide the fate of the 2018 M's. Paxton and Leake should nail down close to 30 wins between them. I think felix Gonzo and Ramirez may barely beat that between the 3 of them ( predict maybe 32-35 total wins with those 3 ) and then some luck wins from relievers should total another 15 wins and we sit at 81 wins the .500 club we are I think.

ERA is becoming a skewed stat in the live ball / swing for the fences era we are in right now.

Batters could care less if they strike out a bunch ( still 27 outs a game ) they want to drive the ball over the fence so I think that brings up alot of pitchers ERA some.

yet here we are with Houston Astros staff dealing a near 2.0 ERA after 100 innings or so and 12 games I think.

So who knows what may happen.