• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2018 season

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to put 17 to rest.
Bring on the 2018 Dawgs.

And some more great news.

Kaleb McGary confirms he will be returning for 2018. Husky Oline, especially with Trey Adams returning hopefully healthy after the injury means we could have one of the best Olines in the PAC and P5 programs. Woof!!!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right tackle Kaleb McGary and safety JoJo McIntosh are planning to return to Washington for their senior season next fall, sources confirmed to The SeaTimes. Both had been pondering a jump to the NFL.

McGary, a 6-foot-7, 318-pound Fife High School product, was a first-team all-Pac-12 selection as a junior in 2017, his third season as the starter at

McIntosh was a second-team all-Pac-12 selection in 2017, when he had 50 tackles, two pass breakups and one fumble recovery for the Pac-12’s top-ranked defense. He will be entering his third season as a starting safety next fall.

Star running back Myles Gaskin, coming off his third straight 1,000-yard season, is also considering an early jump to the NFL. He has not made his intentions public. The deadline for underclassmen to declare is Jan. 15.

UW is also set to add San Jose State’s Will Harris as the program’s 10th assistant coach. Harris, 31, spent the past two seasons as the defensive backs coach in San Jose, and he’s expected to assistant Jimmy Lake with the UW secondary.

Harris played defensive back on Pete Carroll’s USC teams in the late 2000s. He was an honorable mention all-Pac-10 selection as a strong safety in 2009.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hoping to see Myles Gaskin return next year.

I have faith in Salvon Ahmed as a starter, and think he may be even better than Gaskin, but I'd much prefer to have that 1-2 punch next year.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hoping to see Myles Gaskin return next year.

I have faith in Salvon Ahmed as a starter, and think he may be even better than Gaskin, but I'd much prefer to have that 1-2 punch next year.
Isn't it Coleman more we need a replacement for? :noidea: As in, a bigger more hard hitting back as a change of pace. Gaskin and Ahmed are not the same type of runner for sure, but neither are going to pound a hole when you need 1 yard either. I'm sure we have some other back over 200lbs, but they are what they badly need developed next season.

They did struggle at times to get that 1 yard run and run any type of power.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it Coleman more we need a replacement for? :noidea: As in, a bigger more hard hitting back as a change of pace. Gaskin and Ahmed are not the same type of runner for sure, but neither are going to pound a hole when you need 1 yard either. I'm sure we have some other back over 200lbs, but they are what they badly need developed next season.

They did struggle at times to get that 1 yard run and run any type of power.

Yeah I was thinking about that myself as well. I think McGrew was behind Ahmed, Gaskin and Coleman but he's a midget and hasn't really contributed much yet. Huskies do really lack that physical presence.

I don't think Brandon Wellington has played any snaps in practice or in games at HB, but he's around 220 and was successful in HS at running back.

Now that I think about it, I think you might be right that we may not have a running back over around 195lbs.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't see a big body back on the roster nor one coming in. That leaves me more than a little concerned about the running game in short yardage and goal line situations. You don't have a running QB and none of your stars at tailback are power guys.

They will get their yards and scores. Don't get me wrong. It's a dangerous unit. Just not sure they can sustain what they need to against the better defensive lines without a power back.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't see a big body back on the roster nor one coming in. That leaves me more than a little concerned about the running game in short yardage and goal line situations. You don't have a running QB and none of your stars at tailback are power guys.

They will get their yards and scores. Don't get me wrong. It's a dangerous unit. Just not sure they can sustain what they need to against the better defensive lines without a power back.

I have to assume someone emerges at that position. Perhaps one of the guys they have at FB right now. Although I don't have any reservations with Ahmed being the feature back, I'd be a bit concerned about the depth at HB if Gaskin leaves to the draft.

In addition to not having a power back, none of the guys behind Gaskin/Coleman/Ahmed have shown much to be impressed with. McGrew was very highly rated coming out of high school but has not really had much of an impact. That could be a product of the talent ahead of him, but after Ahmed I worry about UW's depth at HB.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well my concern for 2018 is the potential move of Nick Harris to Center on the oline. It's been discussed when Harris was recruited, ( his natural position). Granted to me his time at guard was hit hit and miss, usually blitzing LB's on his side, I just really hope they can coach him up and he understands the read's the center makes at the line of scrimmage. Plus side is he's short and squatty which you really want in a center, but is he ready to make calls against exotic blitzes?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, just posted the same thing in the eason thread on the gen board. Jude has a write up on it and tweeted about it this am.

He has multiple sources saying it is going to happen, however nothing official has been said and right now Eason is only saying he is spending time with his current team.

I'd expect a fairly quick response from him though so Georgia has time to fill that scholarship before LOI day.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know when I first heard the rumors I was like, "nope got two coming in this spring and Browning returning!" But after watching Saban pull the switch at QB there is no reason in this world I would say "nope" now. That was incredible to watch last night, and if Eason can come in and compete, and these three QB's can get along and not get "butthurt" about not being named the starter hell this program could become QB U again.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know when I first heard the rumors I was like, "nope got two coming in this spring and Browning returning!" But after watching Saban pull the switch at QB there is no reason in this world I would say "nope" now. That was incredible to watch last night, and if Eason can come in and compete, and these three QB's can get along and not get "butthurt" about not being named the starter hell this program could become QB U again.
As I posted in the other thread, the ONLY downside to bringing him in is tying up another scholarship slot. I just don't think that's much downside when we are talking about the QB position. No other slot does more to help or hurt your team and so many very promising kids end up as busts that you cannot afford to just stick with a guy or two. You must have as many options as you can put together.

All 3 of these kids will be working together in this coming season to get better and learn our system. One of the two incoming freshmen will likely be named as the backup to Browning and have a leg up going into '19. Then all 3 will have a chance to earn that starter role. Eason will have had one full season starting at an SEC school against SEC defenses and two full years of development before having a chance to see the field again. There is no doubt he lost his starter job to a very special kid in Fromm, but we won't know how far he has come until spring ball in '19. He will have experience and a lot of development advantage over the other two, but mince no words here, if he's not above them he won't start.

I'd expect whichever QB doesn't end up as Browning's backup might transfer out as early as the end of this coming season knowing they have a tough hill to climb.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I posted in the other thread, the ONLY downside to bringing him in is tying up another scholarship slot. I just don't think that's much downside when we are talking about the QB position. No other slot does more to help or hurt your team and so many very promising kids end up as busts that you cannot afford to just stick with a guy or two. You must have as many options as you can put together.

I'd expect whichever QB doesn't end up as Browning's backup might transfer out as early as the end of this coming season knowing they have a tough hill to climb.

I would agree with you, but I got a sneaky feeling that if Eason compete's and wins the starting job in 2019 I think he's here for one year and goes pro. Hopefully the other two get that sense as well and stick around. If I had to go out on a limb and say out of the two freshmen coming in I think Yankoff is gonna be a fantastic QB, duel threats are getting tougher to find with a big arm attached to them. I still think Jacob can make a name for himself as well but I'm digging Yankoff more and more every day.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with you, but I got a sneaky feeling that if Eason compete's and wins the starting job in 2019 I think he's here for one year and goes pro. Hopefully the other two get that sense as well and stick around. If I had to go out on a limb and say out of the two freshmen coming in I think Yankoff is gonna be a fantastic QB, duel threats are getting tougher to find with a big arm attached to them. I still think Jacob can make a name for himself as well but I'm digging Yankoff more and more every day.
I work with a guy that is a coach for Mt Si high school and coaches both WR's and DB's. He has played against Sirmon and watched tons of film on him and has coaching access to hudl where they get a lot more tape and has spent quite a bit of time looking at Yankoff. He's not nearly as high on Colson as you are. He sees a lot of holes in his game and a lot more questions about his decision making than Sirmon. He's giving a big edge to Sirmon of the two, but he's also quite high on Eason having also watched him when he was in high school.

I like that we may end up with all 3 for a full year and possibly two before anyone transfers out. The more options the better.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dubs will be retiring as the mascot after the '18 season. Hard to believe he's been there for 10 years already. I remember when he was but a pup walking that sideline.

Let's send him off as a winner!

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work with a guy that is a coach for Mt Si high school and coaches both WR's and DB's. He has played against Sirmon and watched tons of film on him and has coaching access to hudl where they get a lot more tape and has spent quite a bit of time looking at Yankoff. He's not nearly as high on Colson as you are. He sees a lot of holes in his game and a lot more questions about his decision making than Sirmon. He's giving a big edge to Sirmon of the two, but he's also quite high on Eason having also watched him when he was in high school.

I like that we may end up with all 3 for a full year and possibly two before anyone transfers out. The more options the better.

I knew it was a split on who liked who and of course Colson the talent Colson faced over there... I think its a very healthy battle if Eason really decides to come here. But I think the coaching staff needs to be honest with all three of them, if Eason is really a pro ready QB by then and its a one and done for him then the other two should buy their time and be patient and it will all work it's self out...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2019 QB competition is going to be probably the biggest in school history.

Eason was rated as either the #1 or #2 QB coming out of his class, and I'm pretty sure that Sirmon and Yankoff were rated #5 and #6 respectively. This will arguably be the most talented group of QBs to compete in UW history.

I have to say I'd give Eason the edge because he already has one year under his belt starting as a true freshman with Georgia in the SEC.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah, if it's just experience Eason would be way ahead. He will have had 3 years at the college level with one full year of starting and two developmental years while the other two will have had one developmental year unless Jake gets hurt and one of them has to burn their RS and play.

And for sure this will be the biggest QB competition in school history. This is only the second time since rankings started that a school has had two QB's in the top 100 coming in for the same class. Throw in a crazy 5* transfer on top of that? Has to be one of the deepest QB competitions from any school of all time. It's a seriously great problem for Petersen to have that many to evaluate.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dubs will be retiring as the mascot after the '18 season. Hard to believe he's been there for 10 years already. I remember when he was but a pup walking that sideline.

Let's send him off as a winner!
Damn...