• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How do the Jets hold the tie breakers?

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When we both have a 6-5 Conference record while beating the same teams they beat in Buffalo and Jacksonville and losing to the same teams they lost to in Baltimore and Denver.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It goes to the next tie-breaker which is the records of the teams you beat. We beat the Browns (2), Bills, Jags, Colts, Titans, Seahawks, and Rams.

The Jets beat the Cowboys, Jags, Dolphins, Chargers, Bills (2), Redskins, and Chiefs.

In short, they have more 'quality' wins.

Skinnyfats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the Jets hold the tie breaker #3 strength of schedule. Jets need to lose 1 more game and the Bengals win out. There is another that if the Jets lose 2 then the Bengals might be able to sneak in. Other teams have to lose out as well.

Just nice to see with a Rookie QB week 16 the Bengals are still in it.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets have to have a worse record than us in order for us to make it in. We have to win out, and the Jets have to lose 1. Otherwise, the Jets have to lose to teh Giants and Dolphins in order to allow us to lose to Baltimore in week 17.

If we lose to Baltimore to go 9-7..and the Jets lose to both Giants and Dolphins....

The Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Titans all own teh tiebreakers with us it appears. As I have done several scenerios in the playoff machine thing...and depending on if the Titans are 9-7, Denver is 9-7, Oakland/SD (one or the other is 9-7, other becomes 8-8)

If Denver loses to KC in week 17, and the Raiders win over SD, then they get the #4 seed and the Titans get the #6 seed. Cincinnati, Denver, San Diego all miss playoffs.

If Denver loses to KC in week 17, and the Chargers beat the Raiders, then Denver gets the #4 seed and SD gets the #6 seed.

There is no scenerio where we make teh playoffs unless we win out and the Jets lose one game. There is no other way we can make it.

Sounds like a very tall order with the way we played Sunday. If that is any other team but the Rams, we lose. I will hold slim hope, but pretty much ready to look forward to the draft.

Arizona has won like 6 games in a row or somethign like that, in a playoff hunt, and then we have to face Baltiumore who may be playing for a first round bye. I think we are toast personally, but oh well, good season for a rookei QB and fans expecting 3-6 wins total.

I thought head to head would be the first tie breaker, but I guess not since Tennessee owns the tiebreaker with us.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may well be toast, but at least this past Sunday many things fell our way.....if we can get the Jets to lose one, at least we can control our own destiny......if we get to week 17 knowing we win and we're in, that's all we can ask for.....also, if the Steelers win tonight the Ravens will really not have anything to play for, since we can safely assume the Steelers can beat the Rams and the Browns.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Skinnyfats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy our playoff dreams aren't crushed like they are half way through the season like it has been for years and years. Something a bandwagon fan never gets they jump from team to team.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy our playoff dreams aren't crushed like they are half way through the season like it has been for years and years. Something a bandwagon fan never gets they jump from team to team.

+1.....one thing we can be sure of, there will never be a Bengals bandwagon...........

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Jets have to have a worse record than us in order for us to make it in. We have to win out, and the Jets have to lose 1. Otherwise, the Jets have to lose to teh Giants and Dolphins in order to allow us to lose to Baltimore in week 17.

If we lose to Baltimore to go 9-7..and the Jets lose to both Giants and Dolphins....

The Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Titans all own teh tiebreakers with us it appears. As I have done several scenerios in the playoff machine thing...and depending on if the Titans are 9-7, Denver is 9-7, Oakland/SD (one or the other is 9-7, other becomes 8-8)

If Denver loses to KC in week 17, and the Raiders win over SD, then they get the #4 seed and the Titans get the #6 seed. Cincinnati, Denver, San Diego all miss playoffs.

If Denver loses to KC in week 17, and the Chargers beat the Raiders, then Denver gets the #4 seed and SD gets the #6 seed.

There is no scenerio where we make teh playoffs unless we win out and the Jets lose one game. There is no other way we can make it.

Sounds like a very tall order with the way we played Sunday. If that is any other team but the Rams, we lose. I will hold slim hope, but pretty much ready to look forward to the draft.

Arizona has won like 6 games in a row or somethign like that, in a playoff hunt, and then we have to face Baltiumore who may be playing for a first round bye. I think we are toast personally, but oh well, good season for a rookei QB and fans expecting 3-6 wins total.

I thought head to head would be the first tie breaker, but I guess not since Tennessee owns the tiebreaker with us.

There is no way we get the 4th seed as the top 4 seeds are Division winners and there is no way we're winning our Division. The 5th and 6th seeds are the Wild Cards and the way things stand right now the Ravens own the 5th seed after their loss to the Chargers last night. And I'm not sure about the Titans as we beat them so if we finish with the same record the Bengals should own the tie breaker as head to head is the first tie breaker. And I think the Jets hold the tie breaker because they've scored more points than we have 346-305.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss
NFL Tie-Breaking Procedures

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way we get the 4th seed as the top 4 seeds are Division winners and there is no way we're winning our Division. The 5th and 6th seeds are the Wild Cards and the way things stand right now the Ravens own the 5th seed after their loss to the Chargers last night. And I'm not sure about the Titans as we beat them so if we finish with the same record the Bengals should own the tie breaker as head to head is the first tie breaker. And I think the Jets hold the tie breaker because they've scored more points than we have 346-305.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss
NFL Tie-Breaking Procedures

Where did I ever say we would get a 4th seed?

It was ALWAYS looking at the 6th seed except when involving a ridiculous west jumble at .500 ish area.

I did the playoff machine, anticipating it is accurate based off my prediction of games. I did many scenerios to see if we hold any tiebrakers with any other team currently and with whom is still on our schedule. We do not. We own zero tiebreakers with Denver, SD, Oakland, Tennessee, Jets. We are LAST to all those teams in regards to tiebreakers if any were to tie us at 9-7.

The only way we get in, is to win out, and hope the Jets lose one more game. The other teams can't catch us if we win out, and the Jets must own a worse record in order to get bumped from the playoff picture.

THIS IS BASED 100% OFF THE PLAYOFF MACHINE THING ON ESPN, ANTICIPATING IT IS ACCURATE.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could still go at 9-7 if....

The Chargers lose to Detroit.
The Jets lose twice more.
The Raiders lose twice more.
The Titans lose once more.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could still go at 9-7 if....

The Chargers lose to Detroit.
The Jets lose twice more.
The Raiders lose twice more.
The Titans lose once more.

Actually, the Raiders only have to lose one more time..as they are 7-7.

That is a whole hell of a lot of what if's there. I don't think I will count on that with our lucky as a franchise.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed - I wouldn't count on it either. Just saying that it is a possibility.

We need to win 2. I'm confident that if we win 2, we'll be in. I'm not confident that we can actually win 2!

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1.....one thing we can be sure of, there will never be a Bengals bandwagon...........

oh, I disagree. The facebook group I tried out was run by Bengals fans with sheep/leming like attitudes who think Marvin Lewis is great, after all, we have a winning record and if you don't "support" the active roster bengals and coaches then you must be the phoney, not them. The first losing season that goes by they will lose all interest.

they like->:dunce:

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respectfully disagree....wouldn't call your facebook group bandwagon fans, they are instead hopeless blind homers......bandwagon fans join up for a time because they think it's "cool" at the moment, sort of a flavor of the month.....can't visualize that ever happening to our Bengals......as true Bengals fans, we all suffer from some sort of bitterness.....

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respectfully disagree....wouldn't call your facebook group bandwagon fans, they are instead hopeless blind homers......bandwagon fans join up for a time because they think it's "cool" at the moment, sort of a flavor of the month.....can't visualize that ever happening to our Bengals......as true Bengals fans, we all suffer from some sort of bitterness.....

ok, there is more evidence to go along with your theory. but, If I was next to them at the game I'd still expect them to leave before the end to beat the crowd though.