• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Houston - Utah Game Thread.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
74-45, 3rd quarter.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rockets get two offensive rebounds, then break down the defense with a drive and kick, and hit a 3.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jazz have just been steps slow in guarding the ball movement.

And in getting rebounds.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My, that was one of the worst showings I have ever seen. The Jazz were destroyed inside and outside. That is the kind of loss that could leave the team punch drunk. One more loss like that is going to get the public up in arms with forks and torches.

Are you seeing greatness in Burks? I see some talent. But, also see why maybe he hasn't gotten a lot of time.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardin had this date circled. I was at their first meeting in November and was shocked at how anemic Lin and Hardin looked. Ultimately, Hardin left the game with the flu or something. The Jazz beat them handily that night. So, this beating seems to have some seething rage simmering in the broth.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lost some respect for the Rockets tonight - and I wanted to be neutral because of my friends and family's ties to Taiwan (therefore Jeremy Lin). I first thought, well, they're shooting threes when up by a lot because those are lower-percentage shots and they were happy for each make because the scrubs were getting time and shots. But I couldn't hold that up for long because they looked to me like punk-ass dicks when it got to 40+. I understand that you need the scrubs playing hard and you need to execute the offense to get them some experience. So I have no problem with them playing hard.

But up by 48 with the ball, they shoot a 3 with 13 seconds left, with the shot clock out (more than 13 left on the shot clock)? It was an airball, but still, why shoot it? They showed Lin telling them not to shoot anymore, I think he wouldn't have taken the shot. They had Harden in when up by 35+, they could have had him out - if he got injured, I would have thought that was funny - wasn't rooting for an injury and at any other time, it wouldn't be funny. But he was in there to get his when the game was over - so if he had twisted his ankle I would have laughed at them for trying to get him more stats.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I learned that if someone commits offensive goal tending, it's a turnover and the shot isn't counted by the first guy who shot it. Jeremy Lin shot a layup that bounced around and was going in and Asik pushed it in while over the cylinder. Lin didn't get a miss on that (or a make obviously). He would have been 6-6. I was expecting 5-6 after that, but nope, 5-5.

He did get a turnover though when the teammate through the ball at his feet on a fast break attempt in which Lin couldn't get a hold of the poorly thrown ball. That should be on the passer.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My, that was one of the worst showings I have ever seen. The Jazz were destroyed inside and outside. That is the kind of loss that could leave the team punch drunk. One more loss like that is going to get the public up in arms with forks and torches.

Are you seeing greatness in Burks? I see some talent. But, also see why maybe he hasn't gotten a lot of time.

It was already garbage time when I started watching, so I can't read much into it.

(I believe the Nuggets broadcasters call it Recycle Time).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I learned that if someone commits offensive goal tending, it's a turnover and the shot isn't counted by the first guy who shot it. Jeremy Lin shot a layup that bounced around and was going in and Asik pushed it in while over the cylinder. Lin didn't get a miss on that (or a make obviously). He would have been 6-6. I was expecting 5-6 after that, but nope, 5-5.

He did get a turnover though when the teammate through the ball at his feet on a fast break attempt in which Lin couldn't get a hold of the poorly thrown ball. That should be on the passer.

Don't you remember the offensive goaltending that Rusty LaRue got in the playoffs?

EDIT: I guess it was Scott Padgett.

Utah Jazz at Sacramento Kings Play-By-Play, April 20, 2002 | Basketball-Reference.com

0:05.0 S. Padgett misses 3-pt shot from 24 ft (block by C. Webber) 86-89
0:02.3 Offensive rebound by K. Malone 86-89
0:00.5 Turnover by S. Padgett (offensive goaltending) 86-89
0:00.0 End of 4th quarter

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you remember the offensive goaltending that Scott Padgett got in the playoffs?

Utah Jazz at Sacramento Kings Play-By-Play, April 20, 2002 | Basketball-Reference.com

0:05.0 S. Padgett misses 3-pt shot from 24 ft (block by C. Webber) 86-89
0:02.3 Offensive rebound by K. Malone 86-89
0:00.5 Turnover by S. Padgett (offensive goaltending) 86-89
0:00.0 End of 4th quarter

Yeah, I don't know why he did that because down by three, you either make it or you don't. A putback doesn't do you any good. So even if it weren't offensive goaltending, it wouldn't have done anything. I remember Shaq in the Magic Days grabbing a three point out of the cylinder, going down, and then dunking it. Took a point away from his team, not sure if it mattered because I don't know if it was a close game or not. Offensive goaltending is not called if you prevent your own team from scoring.

But as to the Padgett play, I didn't look at the box score following the game or the play-by-play, so I had no idea whether that was a missed shot and a turnover or just a turnover. In the Rockets-Utah game, it was only a turnover, not a miss.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't know why he did that because down by three, you either make it or you don't. A putback doesn't do you any good. So even if it weren't offensive goaltending, it wouldn't have done anything. I remember Shaq in the Magic Days grabbing a three point out of the cylinder, going down, and then dunking it. Took a point away from his team, not sure if it mattered because I don't know if it was a close game or not. Offensive goaltending is not called if you prevent your own team from scoring.

But as to the Padgett play, I didn't look at the box score following the game or the play-by-play, so I had no idea whether that was a missed shot and a turnover or just a turnover. In the Rockets-Utah game, it was only a turnover, not a miss.

Malone didn't get credit for a missed shot either, only a rebound.

So Padgett's play was similar, only a turnover.

BTW, I think Malone was just going to make a put-back, and then they were going to start fouling again. His put-back probably would have left 1.8-2 seconds left in the game.

I don't think there was enough time for Malone to pass back out for a 3.

So did you really remember the offensive goaltending play in the close moment of a playoffs game, or had you forgotten about it?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malone didn't get credit for a missed shot either, only a rebound.

So Padgett's play was similar, only a turnover.

BTW, I think Malone was just going to make a put-back, and then they were going to start fouling again. His put-back probably would have left 1.8-2 seconds left in the game.

I don't think there was enough time for Malone to pass back out for a 3.

So did you really remember the offensive goaltending play in the close moment of a playoffs game, or had you forgotten about it?

My original statement was that I learned that offensive goaltending was only a turnover, not a miss and turnover. I didn't learn that in the Padgett game because I didn't see the box score or play-by-play until after you showed it to me.

And as to the putback, if Malone thought there'd be time left on the clock after the shot, that I can see. But after Padgett saw that the ball was bouncing around and there was no time, there was no reason for Padgett to try to hit it in.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My original statement was that I learned that offensive goaltending was only a turnover, not a miss and turnover. I didn't learn that in the Padgett game because I didn't see the box score or play-by-play until after you showed it to me.

And as to the putback, if Malone thought there'd be time left on the clock after the shot, that I can see. But after Padgett saw that the ball was bouncing around and there was no time, there was no reason for Padgett to try to hit it in.

Padgett probably wasn't thinking about how much time was left on the clock, and he probably just wanted to make sure the Jazz scored. And he probably tried to put it back instinctively.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had Harden in when up by 35+, they could have had him out - if he got injured, I would have thought that was funny - wasn't rooting for an injury and at any other time, it wouldn't be funny.

It only got to 34 points at the 3nd of the 3rd. Harden didn't play in the 4th.

PopcornMachine's GameFlows

It didn't get to 30 points until 2:15 left in the 3rd.

Still too early to sub someone out, as there have comebacks from 27 points at the start of the 4th, and 29 points with 8:43 left in the 4th.

So at 2:15 left in the 3rd, I would still play some starters until the end of the period, as long as it was still a 30 point lead.

If it was under 30 at the start of the 4th, I would play my reserves at the start of the 4th, as per normal rotation, but would bring the starters back in at some point in the 4th, until it was a 20 point lead and less than 4 minutes. If the lead got under 20, I would play my starters until it was a 10+ lead and under 30 seconds.

BTW, this is regardless of what the opposing team did. I've seen opposing teams make these types of 20-2 runs with players like Chris Quinn, or Jannero Pargo, or Nick Young, or Speedy Claxton, or Jerome Moiso leading the charge. It's not always the starters, but these 3rd stringers, that force a few turnovers and make some shots, during these runs.