• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hosmer vs Belt

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in a keeper league and i have Hosmer, but he has an expiring contract(so this is his last year)...

I have a trade on the table that includes Belt and Hosmer... Belt still has one year on his current contract, and i can extend him next year if i want to...

Hosmer is 7 units while Belt is only 1 unit...

I know Hosmer is projected to be better this season, but i want to know what you guys think about Belt... and if it is worth the sacrifice of this season to help me in the future, or if this trade will do anything for my future...

There is more to the trade, but for right now i just want to talk about these 2 players...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in a keeper league and i have Hosmer, but he has an expiring contract(so this is his last year)...

I have a trade on the table that includes Belt and Hosmer... Belt still has one year on his current contract, and i can extend him next year if i want to...

Hosmer is 7 units while Belt is only 1 unit...

I know Hosmer is projected to be better this season, but i want to know what you guys think about Belt... and if it is worth the sacrifice of this season to help me in the future, or if this trade will do anything for my future...

There is more to the trade, but for right now i just want to talk about these 2 players...

I would think that Hosmer would be the better and safer bet here. However, it is really close, and, IMO, it comes down to one thing/issue. The only reason I would go with Hosmer over Belt is due to Hosmer not having anyone cutting into his playing time, where Belt now does.

And, I think that will cause and end up with Hosmer getting at least 100 more a.b's than Belt, which can be enough to effect a fantasy team and position.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that Hosmer would be the better and safer bet here. However, it is really close, and, IMO, it comes down to one thing/issue. The only reason I would go with Hosmer over Belt is due to Hosmer not having anyone cutting into his playing time, where Belt now does.

And, I think that will cause and end up with Hosmer getting at least 100 more a.b's than Belt, which can be enough to effect a fantasy team and position.

Did not even think about the Posey affect... that certainly throws in a curveball...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Belt going to split time between first and of? I've yet to consider him as a keeper. (Used him off the wire in several leagues, then put him back in the pool.)But he's just coming into his prime years. Strikeouts out a lot more than Id like. Doesn't run like Hosmer can. Probably won't get RBI chances like KCs best hitter either. (League keepers are tied in to real-world contracts in this league?)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Belt going to split time between first and of? I've yet to consider him as a keeper. (Used him off the wire in several leagues, then put him back in the pool.)But he's just coming into his prime years. Strikeouts out a lot more than Id like. Doesn't run like Hosmer can. Probably won't get RBI chances like KCs best hitter either. (League keepers are tied in to real-world contracts in this league?)

On auction day a player gets a 3 year contract, or better you can keep a player for 3 seasons after drafting him... After the second season you can extend his contract for 5 units per year... Its actually very easy to understand... I am just not a good explainer...

The only catch is that if you extend a player then you can never drop him until his contract is expiring...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I get it. Makes sense. Im just not very experienced in keeper leagues. How many units are you working with every season?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I get it. Makes sense. Im just not very experienced in keeper leagues. How many units are you working with every season?

260 units,

We start everyone-no bench... C,C,1B,2B,3B,SS,MI,CI,5OF,U,9P=23 players

We can keep up to 10 players...

we can keep up to 8 minor leaguers(does not affect the auction units)

My best 2 keepers are Paul Goldshmidt for 5 units(But this is his extension year so it will probably be 20 units-depending on how long i want to keep him for)

and Jose Fernandes for 4 units...

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd keep Hosmer and take my chances I could draft him next year.
I don't think they're very close talent wise.
If it's a deep deep league then I can see some draw planning ahead, but Hosmer is darn good value at 7 for this year.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd keep Hosmer and take my chances I could draft him next year.
I don't think they're very close talent wise.
If it's a deep deep league then I can see some draw planning ahead, but Hosmer is darn good value at 7 for this year.

Agreed, I don't like Belt personally but see his potential. Unfortunately his potential is that of a good CI player and not someone I'd want as my starting first baseman. Even if you can't get Belt back I'm sure you can get a Jose Abreu or Matt Adams and be just as happy. Keep Hosmer

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, I don't like Belt personally but see his potential. Unfortunately his potential is that of a good CI player and not someone I'd want as my starting first baseman. Even if you can't get Belt back I'm sure you can get a Jose Abreu or Matt Adams and be just as happy. Keep Hosmer

You don't like Belt personally? But Rev, he's always spoken highly of you...:rollseyes:

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, it's all about the Posey situation. I'm not sure about Belt going to the OF when that happens, but I would lean toward the negative. So, I would also take my chances with Hosmer. If Belt was playing first for the Rockies, Pirates or some team where he gets 600 at bats, it would be a different story, because I do believe in his bat.