• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to be a movie night for me; Next up: Urban Legend

latest

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching an Aussie shark movie, Bait and drinking Starbucks before this crazy moving day starts.....

Love this one, guilty pleasure......Solid 6.5/10.
Shark swimming around a grocery store after a tsunami....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the best parts of this movie is this little ankle biter of a dog riding a surf board in a flooded underground parking garage and (I LOL) jumping off to swim to it's female master....

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched The Bye Bye Man:

theBYEBYEman.jpg

Can't decide whether or not I liked it. Didn't suck.

Just started watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (starring Renee Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey, fer cryin' out loud...how have I never heard of this gem??).

th

Any of you guys do any reviews on either of these?

Bye Bye Man: Horror Movies

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Dead Body

Dead-Body-Movie-Poster-header.jpg

Dead-Body-Still-Bobbin-Ramsey-Group-Fear.jpg

These were seriously the best pics of this movie I could find; this does not bode well.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Dead Body

Dead-Body-Movie-Poster-header.jpg

Dead-Body-Still-Bobbin-Ramsey-Group-Fear.jpg

These were seriously the best pics of this movie I could find; this does not bode well.

Did you watch Deathgasm yet?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching an Aussie shark movie, Bait and drinking Starbucks before this crazy moving day starts.....

Love this one, guilty pleasure......Solid 6.5/10.
Shark swimming around a grocery store after a tsunami....
Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pyewacket (2018)

Warning! Moody teenagers ahead! If you watch the trailer then you can immediately see that this is a teen-angst story of sorts. Troubled goth teens that like to talk about the occult, until one gets pushed over the edge and actually follows through with it. Thankfully the writers portrayed most of these emo's in a sympathetic manner so that they at least became stronger characters than what lies on the surface.

The lead character, Leah, lives in a troubled home. The death of her father weighs heavily on her & her mother, both coping with it in realistic manners yet differently. The mother's alcohol-induced mood swings are the last straw that drives Leah to act upon her occult reading hobby. She rashly performs a ritual to rid herself from her mother after an emotional clash inside the home. The resulting events are predictable.

This was a refreshing take on the occult genre. Typically within this genre we are presented with a cast of miscreants that perform some sort of séance and mistakenly awaken evil spirits. But in this film we are presented with a much more realistic sequence of events that felt much more naturalistic. The progression was a slow-burner but if you stick with it you get a pretty solid payoff. The climax has a fairly brief run-in with the evil spirit, which was sort of disappointing. There is a moment where Leah is fleeing from the spirit and the blurred background shows a very frightening creature-esque spirit in pursuit but sadly the suspense doesn't last very long. Would have loved to see more of that 'creature' in an extended pursuit sequence.

Cinematography was decent, and the modest budget was used to good effect. Creative use of camera angles & lighting provided good scare-tactics to what was likely sub-par CGI. Loved the secluded cabin-style home surrounded by woods. The very remote location was perfect for this film. The acting was ok. The leads, Nicole Muñoz & Laurie Holden (tWD), did an admirable job but weren't exceptional or spectacular. They were believable, which was really all they needed to be.

Overall this was a decent film. As I said before, it's a slow-burner. But it was methodical and well-written. Gives just enough entertainment to satisfy without becoming boring. The resulting climactic finish, however short it was, was terrifying and worth the wait. And the ending was unexpected & well-deserved.

Familiar narrative but more naturalistic... 7.5/10

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pyewacket (2018)

Warning! Moody teenagers ahead! If you watch the trailer then you can immediately see that this is a teen-angst story of sorts. Troubled goth teens that like to talk about the occult, until one gets pushed over the edge and actually follows through with it. Thankfully the writers portrayed most of these emo's in a sympathetic manner so that they at least became stronger characters than what lies on the surface.

The lead character, Leah, lives in a troubled home. The death of her father weighs heavily on her & her mother, both coping with it in realistic manners yet differently. The mother's alcohol-induced mood swings are the last straw that drives Leah to act upon her occult reading hobby. She rashly performs a ritual to rid herself from her mother after an emotional clash inside the home. The resulting events are predictable.

This was a refreshing take on the occult genre. Typically within this genre we are presented with a cast of miscreants that perform some sort of séance and mistakenly awaken evil spirits. But in this film we are presented with a much more realistic sequence of events that felt much more naturalistic. The progression was a slow-burner but if you stick with it you get a pretty solid payoff. The climax has a fairly brief run-in with the evil spirit, which was sort of disappointing. There is a moment where Leah is fleeing from the spirit and the blurred background shows a very frightening creature-esque spirit in pursuit but sadly the suspense doesn't last very long. Would have loved to see more of that 'creature' in an extended pursuit sequence.

Cinematography was decent, and the modest budget was used to good effect. Creative use of camera angles & lighting provided good scare-tactics to what was likely sub-par CGI. Loved the secluded cabin-style home surrounded by woods. The very remote location was perfect for this film. The acting was ok. The leads, Nicole Muñoz & Laurie Holden (tWD), did an admirable job but weren't exceptional or spectacular. They were believable, which was really all they needed to be.

Overall this was a decent film. As I said before, it's a slow-burner. But it was methodical and well-written. Gives just enough entertainment to satisfy without becoming boring. The resulting climactic finish, however short it was, was terrifying and worth the wait. And the ending was unexpected & well-deserved.

Familiar narrative but more naturalistic... 7.5/10

I watched this awhile back. I thought I posted a review but I guess not!

Decent flick. Angsty teens was certainly the truth.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
caught a decent amount of horror flicks in the last week or so, including the shark week on syfy (if you would include them in this, I won't).

Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich, honestly after the first movie in the series, I think I've only seen bits or pieces from the series, didn't realize they made as many sequels as they did. That being said, if you were a fan of the series, it looks like they put a lot of your favorite puppets in the movie. For what I always saw as a dumb movie, it was well done, so if you enjoyed the series, I'm sure you'd be happy with this addition, the cast and production was probably better than the rest of it. (feel like it was available streaming somewhere).

Circus Kane - Available on Amazon Prime and a straight VOD title, which a lot of our horror is, it was pretty entertaining for the most part. Not a bad watch, though I hate to be the guy that mentions the ending, as it puts an expectation one way or the other, that being said, you'll be disappointed.

Down a Dark Hall - has some decent flow to a point, but overall you know what's coming and it;s pretty ho hum.

Blood and Black Lace - More of a whodunit it for me

Matango - Aka attack of the Mushroom People - I thought this was going to be a shitty 50s style horror movie, but it actually was pretty good. I'll leave it at that.

Grizzly - The rifftrax version is available on Prime and I highly recommend watching it, so good and funny.

Shutter - The original 2004 version. I had already seen the american remake, so there wasn't much more to it for me. If you don't want to read subtitles the american version will do, i guess.

The Blood on Satan's Claw - I was a bit out of it, but it looked intriguing, though I don't think I ever got what they were going for, but it had potential.

Hereditary - I know I saw a lot of good press/talk on this movie. Didn't care of it at all, made me laugh more than anything else. Perhaps it's the fault my dad was down for a few days and it was one of two movies I suggested and it was so shitty I just cracked jokes throughout most of it.

Corbin Nash - Netflix original, Cory Feldman is in it, that should say all you need to know. it was complete shit.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)

In light of @B_dub's recent post, I decided to bump this review up. Getting right down to it, this is how horror movies should be made. Beating that same drum again, the UK does horror right. Directed by Norwegian André Øvredal, previously known for Trollhunter (wild found-footage film that I recommend checkin out). Horror films these days have become typically monotonous with the R-rated gore pron or the pg-13 jump scares, however this movie is very different. It has a small amount of gore, no clichés or jump scares, but it is loaded with suspense and complete unpredictability. Thanks in large to an amazing piece of writing & directing. The great thing about this movie IMO is how atmospherically scary and tense it is, and the fact that this film was able to achieve that with only 3 main characters (one of them being a corpse played by a real actress) and an incredibly simple story & setting. Felt very reminiscent of all the creativity used in Don't Breathe. If you haven't already deduced from the trailer, this is a supernatural thriller. Can't say much more without giving too much away as I feel the trailer already does. The cinematography, production values & acting are top-notch. Overall its a great movie that presents a lot of creative originality and I highly recommend it!

Awesome supernatural thriller... 9/10

Just got around to this one, loved it. Incredibly creepy, they kept it simple, didn't go over the top (too many movies fall into this trap). Just two solid actors, in a creepy setting with lots of weird shit going on.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got around to this one, loved it. Incredibly creepy, they kept it simple, didn't go over the top (too many movies fall into this trap). Just two solid actors, in a creepy setting with lots of weird shit going on.
caught it last night as well, taking advantage of the showtime free weekend?

i was out of it by the time i watched, but didn't care for it.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody going to watch The Purge on TV? 10.episode special event.....hyping that a lot recently.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Totally agree, I loved this movie. creepy as all hell.