• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Knowing right now with Nicolas Cage on Sy Fy.

Waiting for sports to come on and a little shocked they are showing this on Sy Fy.

PS: Sorry I haven't been in here as much as I said since football ended. NBA and NHL playoffs are on.....I'll be here July and August before football start.
promises promises DJ... :heh:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. Life has been throwin some curveballs lately. Have you seen it yet?

No.

But, I usually don't see movies till 2-3 years later.

Haven't been to the movies in what feels like 4-5 years.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

But, I usually don't see movies till 2-3 years later.

Haven't been to the movies in what feels like 4-5 years.
Damn, and I thought waiting a month or 2 for myself was bad. lol

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a trailer for Breaking In.

Not horror but I have a hard-on for Gabrielle Union getting all violent and shit.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hola everyone! Longtime no see.

I watched the 1982 classic The Entity last night and thought I would post a review.

Quick summery: Barbara Hersey is constantly attacked by an invisible entity (or entities).

Good flick in the sense of ruthless violence and utter helplessness of the situation. You will either find it a good watch or be disgusted by the depictions of fairly graphic r*pe. Most women will not be happy if you suggest watching this one so be careful there.

Positives: The direction is pretty solid, the fxs are good (for the time period) the storyline is kinda engrossing, the soundtrack is cool.

Negatives: The lackadaisical reaction to the situation, particularly after they see evidence is a bit stupid. Ron Silver's continued insistence that it is a psychological issue is really annoying at times. I can't tell if the acting is good or bad because the character's reactions and dialog regarding the situation was driving me a bit nuts.

Overall: a 7 out of 10 in my book but the subject matter could make it unwatchable for some. A quick dive into the craziness with little character development and a tiny sledgehammer plot is surprisingly effective.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cheers man!

Have you seen The Entity before? Certainly a different movie than most.
Doesn't look familiar. I'll have to check it out thanks to your good review!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amityville: The Awakening (2017)

Not entirely sure why this film was put on post-production hold for 4-5 years after its original release date. After all of that time wondering what could be wrong about this movie to warrant such a lengthy production hold; I am still not entirely sure what the problem was. Probably had something to do with scheduling & the general plot reshaping, because there were some obvious scenes that were re-shoots and added content. There were some characters that really didn't have anything to do with the plot aside from providing needless exposition in regards to why the film franchise exists. I sort of understand why they did it, but again, it wasn't necessary. It was confusing and sort of made the lead character look dumb for not knowing about the real house. The progression of this film was sort of choppy. Seemed like there were some production cuts that left out some explanations of the family relationships and medical investigations. There was also an obvious cut during one of the scare scenes involving the younger sister. After the scene the situation was dropped & forgotten about. There is obvious editing like that all throughout the film, but it is never maddening enough to confuse the viewer too drastically. Instead of going for the dramatic piece they opted for more simplistic entertainment which turned out to be slightly above average in my book. Whats left is a decent story with good characters. The resulting writing came off as very formulaic, but I think that has a lot to do with the production cuts. The majority of the scares work well, particularly since it focuses on character & plot and less on jump scares (even though there are still a few). The character development was concise and the atmosphere was effective. I am curious enough to go out and buy the DVD just to see the deleted scenes. Because I believe this film probably would have been better off not going through all the post-production cuts. Overall this was an entertaining enough film to merit a recommendation if you're strapped for new material.

Decent entertainment, but definitely a diced up version of itself... 6.5/10

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The greatest horror comedy of all time... And its really not even close

This could stimulate an interesting debate.....

Old school

Dead Alive
American werewold in London
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead 2

New school

The Cabin in the Woods

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could stimulate an interesting debate.....

Old school

Dead Alive
American werewold in London
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead 2

New school

The Cabin in the Woods
new school i would add zombieland and tucker and dale vs. evil

are we counting young frankenstein in this mix?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old school:
Young Frankenstein
Army of Darkness
Beetlejuice
Ghostbusters
Gremlins

New School:
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
Cabin in the Woods
Housebound
Cooties

Last edited:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with Face on Shaun of the Dead, but Young Frankenstein could certainly be argued as the best, and Army of Darkness is close. I was hugely disappointed in Cooties.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One old school one I liked that would probably get glossed over is Student Bodies. It was dumb, but good.

add to balance out with the new school, let's add what we do in the shadows.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with Face on Shaun of the Dead, but Young Frankenstein could certainly be argued as the best, and Army of Darkness is close. I was hugely disappointed in Cooties.
Top 5 for me:

1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Young Frankenstein
3. Army of Darkness
4. Ghostbusters
5. Gremlins

Honorable Mentions: Beetlejuice, Zombieland & D&TvE

I struggle not to put Beetlejuice in top 5. But for me personally I loved Ghostbusters & Gremlins more.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One old school one I liked that would probably get glossed over is Student Bodies. It was dumb, but good.

add to balance out with the new school, let's add what we do in the shadows.
Always forget about Student Bodies. That was a classic. Wouldn't put it top 5, but definitely had some very memorable moments...

Fast-forward to 30s.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 5 for me:

1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Young Frankenstein
3. Army of Darkness
4. Ghostbusters
5. Gremlins

Honorable Mentions: Beetlejuice, Zombieland & D&TvE

I struggle not to put Beetlejuice in top 5. But for me personally I loved Ghostbusters & Gremlins more.

I'm with ya here, although I personally would switch 4 and 5. Gremlins is a bit more of an underdog (not to mention more cleverly written), and I think that lack of commercial slickness compared to the high profile Ghostbusters gives it a nod for me. Not a big thing either way, I love 'em both. Gotta put 'em both over Beetlejuice, which had that nasty little mean streak to it that, for me, just didn't hit the right note.