• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How'd you like that poop pool scene @Chef99? LMAO!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody seen Winchester yet?
Haven't written a review on it yet, but yes. Sort of a slow-paced biographical horror, but pretty good. Has quite the interesting story if you're in the mood for it. I liked the dark/ominous atmosphere. Some of the scares are more chilling than frightening, but there were a few jump scares. But definitely do not watch this if you're thinking its one of the Hollywood blockbuster type movies full of shock value.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't written a review on it yet, but yes. Sort of a slow-paced biographical horror, but pretty good. Has quite the interesting story if you're in the mood for it. I liked the dark/ominous atmosphere. Some of the scares are more chilling than frightening, but there were a few jump scares. But definitely do not watch this if you're thinking its one of the Hollywood blockbuster type movies full of shock value.
I don't watch horror films for the gore fest. I like something that's well thought out and has a bit of background to it. If the whole movie is nothing but jump scares then I'll pass. I've been very interested in this movie's story line. I'll give it a shot. Thx Faceman!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch horror films for the gore fest. I like something that's well thought out and has a bit of background to it. If the whole movie is nothing but jump scares then I'll pass. I've been very interested in this movie's story line. I'll give it a shot. Thx Faceman!
This movie is right up your alley then! Let me know what you think of it!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winchester (2018)

Thought that I should hasten my review since there was a question about it this past weekend (@Center Ice). As I already stated, this is a slow-paced horror chalked full of history in a very complex storyline. A lot of people have been calling it dull because of that. So I definitely want to forewarn everyone if you intend to watch it that you have to be in the mood for a deliberately laggard film. It has quite an interesting story so its not boring so long as you pay attention to it. It dives deeper into the character building department than most movies do. But fear not, there is still some minor scares sprinkled throughout the film to keep you unsettled. This movie reminds me a lot of Crimson Peak (the house, the mood, the story, the cinematics, etc) but with a better payoff. There is an overall dark & ominous atmosphere that plays well with the setting. One of the coolest things about horror movies is the potential to craft incredible settings that bring life, or in this case death, to the screen. The movie has one of the more interesting settings I've seen in a while. A glamorized mansion modeled after the Winchester estate. This jigsaw puzzle like house is a twisted chamber that plays games on the mind. The linear plot is not overly unique, but it is stronger than most horror movies hold. And it pays dividends when you get hit with the unpredictable twist in the climax. The writers & the director did an amazing job with the progression. The way they integrated everything in the plot and transformed it into the final act was pretty remarkable. The acting was rock solid. Although I wasn't overly impressed with the characters themselves. Some were underutilized. Overall this was an impressive film with great attention to detail, but it is a lengthy one with a fairly minor scare factor. It was a successful film based on what it accomplished. But as I said before, you have to be in the mood for it. Do not watch this if you're thinking its one of the Hollywood blockbuster type movies full of shock value.

Biographical supernatural horror with a complex story... 7.5/10

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think for the most part we all agree on this. I read a book recently that explained it perfectly. If I hid in a dark room and jumped out and scared you, you would jump and be scared but it would be a temporary scare.

If I told you a blind woman hung herself in that room and every night she feels around in the dark looking for a new set of eyes, you would be creeped out for the entire night.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insidious: The Last Key (2018)

I am a fan of the original Insidious but the past years haven't been the best for the franchise since in my opinion Chapters 2 and 3 weren't exactly what I hoped they would be. They had some great scares & memorable moments but were sorta wasted by mediocre plots. This movie didn't disappoint me..... it pissed me off. It had all the makings of a great horror movie and a great addition to Elise's storyline (prequel) but it was ruined by jump scares. It was well written, had solid acting, and sported great cinematics with cool supernatural elements. And it all contributed to a great amount of scenes full of heightened suspense, but they were squandered time & time again by unnecessary jump scares. Over, and over, and over again... Absurd. Felt like they were trying too hard. The scary moments were already frightening on their own so it was quite the disappointment. The demons in this movie were pretty cool. The plot was executed in a twisted yet brilliant way that makes a very good connection with the first Insidious. It was a slower-paced movie than the previous Chapters, but it pays a lot more attention to detail which I appreciated. The acting from the whole cast is good, and as always Shaye still is the best part. There's something so lovable yet so disturbing about Lin Shaye's character, Elise. She's lovable in the witty & funny grandmother sort of way, but yet Shaye delivers such strong swings of emotion capable of taking you from Disneyland to Dante's Inferno in the blink of an eye. She is a great actress, and her performance alone in this movie merits a recommendation. But be forewarned that the jump scares are aplenty. Overall it was an entertaining film that boasts a great prequel storyline, but the jump-scares pissed me off and will probably be one of the main things I remember about it. Which is a shame for such a well written film.

Squandered prequel... 6.5/10

Last edited:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insidious: The Last Key (2018)

I am a fan of the original Insidious but the past years haven't been the best for the franchise since in my opinion Chapters 2 and 3 weren't exactly what I hoped they would be. They had some great scares & memorable moments but were sorta wasted by mediocre plots. This movie didn't disappoint me..... it pissed me off. It had all the makings of a great horror movie and a great addition to Elise's storyline (prequel) but it was ruined by jump scares. It was well written, had solid acting, and sported great cinematics with cool supernatural elements. And it all contributed to a great amount of scenes full of heightened suspense, but they were squandered time & time again by unnecessary jump scares. Over, and over, and over again... Absurd. Felt like they were trying too hard. The scary moments were already frightening on their own so it was quite the disappointment. The demons in this movie were pretty cool. The plot was executed in a twisted yet brilliant way that makes a very good connection with the first Insidious. It was a slower-paced movie than the previous Chapters, but it pays a lot more attention to detail which I appreciated. The acting from the whole cast is good, and as always Shaye still is the best part. There's something so lovable yet so disturbing about Lin Shaye's character, Elise. She's lovable in the witty & funny grandmother sort of way, but yet Shaye delivers such strong swings of emotion capable of taking you from Disneyland to Dante's Inferno in the blink of an eye. She is a great actress, and her performance alone in this movie merits a recommendation. But be forewarned that the jump scares are aplenty. Overall it was an entertaining film that boasts a great prequel storyline, but the jump-scares pissed me off and will probably be one of the main things I remember about it. Which is a shame for such a well written film.

Squandered prequel... 6.5/10
Just watched this one a few nights ago and thought that it was by far the worst of the franchise. Other than a decent jump scare towards the beginning, I thought that it was rather dull. Also, I thought that there was way too much of the Specs and Tucker characters. They're better in much smaller doses than what we got in this movie. The rest of the cast I had no problem with. I'd probably give this a 2 out of 5.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched this one a few nights ago and thought that it was by far the worst of the franchise. Other than a decent jump scare towards the beginning, I thought that it was rather dull. Also, I thought that there was way too much of the Specs and Tucker characters. They're better in much smaller doses than what we got in this movie. The rest of the cast I had no problem with. I'd probably give this a 2 out of 5.
Fair enough! In comparison to Chapters 2 & 3 I liked the story better. But as I said in my review I didn't like the execution. And yea the Specs/Tucker moments were a bit over the top, but I think they deserved some better facetime after the previous films. And it helped develop their characters a little, even if it was sort of a distraction.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winchester (2018)

Thought that I should hasten my review since there was a question about it this past weekend (@Center Ice). As I already stated, this is a slow-paced horror chalked full of history in a very complex storyline. A lot of people have been calling it dull because of that. So I definitely want to forewarn everyone if you intend to watch it that you have to be in the mood for a deliberately laggard film. It has quite an interesting story so its not boring so long as you pay attention to it. It dives deeper into the character building department than most movies do. But fear not, there is still some minor scares sprinkled throughout the film to keep you unsettled. This movie reminds me a lot of Crimson Peak (the house, the mood, the story, the cinematics, etc) but with a better payoff. There is an overall dark & ominous atmosphere that plays well with the setting. One of the coolest things about horror movies is the potential to craft incredible settings that bring life, or in this case death, to the screen. The movie has one of the more interesting settings I've seen in a while. A glamorized mansion modeled after the Winchester estate. This jigsaw puzzle like house is a twisted chamber that plays games on the mind. The linear plot is not overly unique, but it is stronger than most horror movies hold. And it pays dividends when you get hit with the unpredictable twist in the climax. The writers & the director did an amazing job with the progression. The way they integrated everything in the plot and transformed it into the final act was pretty remarkable. The acting was rock solid. Although I wasn't overly impressed with the characters themselves. Some were underutilized. Overall this was an impressive film with great attention to detail, but it is a lengthy one with a fairly minor scare factor. It was a successful film based on what it accomplished. But as I said before, you have to be in the mood for it. Do not watch this if you're thinking its one of the Hollywood blockbuster type movies full of shock value.

Biographical supernatural horror with a complex story... 7.5/10

I would agree for the most part with all of this. I thought it got a bit silly towards the end (too many horror movies don't know how to close).

I thought it felt a bit rushed, probably would have been better off as a miniseries where they could really flesh it out. Overall an enjoyable movie.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Knowing right now with Nicolas Cage on Sy Fy.

Waiting for sports to come on and a little shocked they are showing this on Sy Fy.

PS: Sorry I haven't been in here as much as I said since football ended. NBA and NHL playoffs are on.....I'll be here July and August before football start.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably going to Jamba Juice later, haven't been there in 2-3 weeks.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ever see A Quiet Place, Face?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ever see A Quiet Place, Face?
Still haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. Life has been throwin some curveballs lately. Have you seen it yet?