• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horizon Zero Dawn

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the gaming websites are scoring it over 9.0. The game's graphics look absolutely incredible. Story sounds extremely fascinating. Anyone else thinking of picking up a copy? Actually being released at Game Stop tonight at 9 PM.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll probably play this. Its right up my alley from a gameplay standpoint and I'm okay with a well made game with no originality outside of the setting because...it looks really well made.

I suspect the whole game will be a matriarchal mess of thinly veiled liberal ideas but in a way that just makes it a counter to GTAV.

As long as its well made, of course.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A matriarchal mess.

Heh.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll probably play this. Its right up my alley from a gameplay standpoint and I'm okay with a well made game with no originality outside of the setting because...it looks really well made.

I suspect the whole game will be a matriarchal mess of thinly veiled liberal ideas but in a way that just makes it a counter to GTAV.

As long as its well made, of course.
Gamestop released it today. Quick notes: story is still in the explaining stages but it is nicely done. From what I hear keeps you guessing till the end. BEAUTIFUL game, can not be over stated. My recommendation personally, if you think you are interested get it now. Don't see a price drop any time soon, For Honor and Wildlands will have a decrease in price come the summer. In a year of incredible titles this will be one to remember.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gamestop released it today. Quick notes: story is still in the explaining stages but it is nicely done. From what I hear keeps you guessing till the end. BEAUTIFUL game, can not be over stated. My recommendation personally, if you think you are interested get it now. Don't see a price drop any time soon, For Honor and Wildlands will have a decrease in price come the summer. In a year of incredible titles this will be one to remember.
Ended up picking this up because I have a day off and Mass Effect isn't out yet.

This is a really good game. A large dichotomy between religion and science throughout. Opening story sequence is interesting and the robot hunting is fun.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ended up picking this up because I have a day off and Mass Effect isn't out yet.

This is a really good game. A large dichotomy between religion and science throughout. Opening story sequence is interesting and the robot hunting is fun.
Honestly, I have not played it nearly as much as I would have liked. I ended up buying For Honor as well, and have been switching off time. Plus I am working and going to school at night so not much time to play. From what I have played though it is an awesome game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I have not played it nearly as much as I would have liked. I ended up buying For Honor as well, and have been switching off time. Plus I am working and going to school at night so not much time to play. From what I have played though it is an awesome game.
I'm about 5-6 hours in.

The gf was watching and said they 'chickified Witcher and added a bunch of feelings' but that's not quite how is describe it. It has a heavy Far Cry feel except better in every way. Combat requires planning and is pretty all or nothing in many cases. I've only died once and it was because I didn't climb the right direction in a 'race' but the combats have pushed me to the edge a couple of times.

The story comes at you in hr long chunks in the beginning. You definitely have to allocate some time.

The universe really pulls you in. Its a shame that it's another big title with a Hermoine Granger protagonist with zero faults. Women don't have to be perfect to be likeable characters. Other than that, no complaints at all. You just have to make sure that you keep your inventory leveled and your ammo crafted.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm about 5-6 hours in.

The gf was watching and said they 'chickified Witcher and added a bunch of feelings' but that's not quite how is describe it. It has a heavy Far Cry feel except better in every way. Combat requires planning and is pretty all or nothing in many cases. I've only died once and it was because I didn't climb the right direction in a 'race' but the combats have pushed me to the edge a couple of times.

The story comes at you in hr long chunks in the beginning. You definitely have to allocate some time.

The universe really pulls you in. Its a shame that it's another big title with a Hermoine Granger protagonist with zero faults. Women don't have to be perfect to be likeable characters. Other than that, no complaints at all. You just have to make sure that you keep your inventory leveled and your ammo crafted.
I have died a handful of times. I am not great at planning attacks, I usually try to sneak and screw up royally. It is a lot of fun though, I think I probably put in around the same amount of time as you thinking about it. I'm not use to spacing out my playing time so much so it feels like I have played less.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I probably put in around the same amount of time as you thinking about it.
The first 8% of the game has a lot of story and training wheels but once you get outside of the village you get the proper open world experience.

I'm very happy with this purchase.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first 8% of the game has a lot of story and training wheels but once you get outside of the village you get the proper open world experience.

I'm very happy with this purchase.
I definitely don't regret this purchase. Considering I also want Red Dead, Days Gone, Shadow of War, and Detroit: Become Human and am not regretting it is saying something. Will likely only be able to get 2 of the 4.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished the game, beat nearly every mission. Incredible game, fantastic story. Loved it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished the game, beat nearly every mission. Incredible game, fantastic story. Loved it.
Story does nothing for me but the graphics and combat are amazing.

Did you finish the game on normal? The difficulty seems a bit off. I'm level 26 playing level 14 Story missions and still getting challenged. I don't mind but the math doesn't add up.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Story does nothing for me but the graphics and combat are amazing.

Did you finish the game on normal? The difficulty seems a bit off. I'm level 26 playing level 14 Story missions and still getting challenged. I don't mind but the math doesn't add up.
I played on normal, and I found the game challenging throughout. Level is just a number for the most part, once you get to level 30, pretty much its easy. Also really depends on your bow. I never used trip caster or ropecaster. Got the heavy duty slings and it really helps with the bigger creatures. How far into the story are you? I found the story to take a long time to gain steam but damn it really delivered. Worth the hype.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played on normal, and I found the game challenging throughout. Level is just a number for the most part, once you get to level 30, pretty much its easy. Also really depends on your bow. I never used trip caster or ropecaster. Got the heavy duty slings and it really helps with the bigger creatures. How far into the story are you? I found the story to take a long time to gain steam but damn it really delivered. Worth the hype.
The guy's sister was found in the jail cell and then died. I think it was like a level 14 quest and I was stupidly overleveled but ran out of wire and arrows so fighting humans was super awkward because none of the non arrow weapons fight human archers very well. I made it through the combat but only by exploiting the ai.

Most dialogue makes me want to speed up the conversation but I don't want to skip everything so the game makes me feel like I have ADD and apathetic.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy's sister was found in the jail cell and then died. I think it was like a level 14 quest and I was stupidly overleveled but ran out of wire and arrows so fighting humans was super awkward because none of the non arrow weapons fight human archers very well. I made it through the combat but only by exploiting the ai.

Most dialogue makes me want to speed up the conversation but I don't want to skip everything so the game makes me feel like I have ADD and apathetic.
I read a tip before playing and I always collect literally everything I can. Maybe try leveling up amo amount? Also yea I know what you mean about dialogue, I did the same and read a lot of it and skipped the actual words.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also digging in the ancient ruins is when the story gets good.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a tip before playing and I always collect literally everything I can. Maybe try leveling up amo amount? Also yea I know what you mean about dialogue, I did the same and read a lot of it and skipped the actual words.
I do collect everything. I also fight everything and the wire drop rate doesn't balance out if you're using wire traps and sharpshooter arrows. The economy forces you basically into using one or the other especially when fighting humans.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just noticed the normal Bow and Arrow uses different ammo types than the Sharpshot. Probably should've had that equipped. I was wondering why anyone would use the normal Hunter bow when the Sharpshot was so much better. Its because the ammo is everywhere on that. Its functionally the primary.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just noticed the normal Bow and Arrow uses different ammo types than the Sharpshot. Probably should've had that equipped. I was wondering why anyone would use the normal Hunter bow when the Sharpshot was so much better. Its because the ammo is everywhere on that. Its functionally the primary.
I will say I relied heavily on the Sharpshot bow. It just takes so long to load up the shot.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also digging in the ancient ruins is when the story gets good.
I'm on the 18th main story quest according to a wiki out of 23 main story quests and I just don't like the story at all.

Across the board almost none of the characters are likable. Sylens, Aloy, the holograms from the past, the Nora villagers and the random people throughout the world are all just aggravating people. I have a major disconnect when I'm wanting to explore a new world and the focus of the new world is how the old world ended - something I and to a lesser extent even Aloy doesn't really care about.

Presentation: A
Combat: A
Story: C-
Platforming: C

I've gotten to the point to where I'm skipping all of the sidequests to get the main story done. Solid game but not Game of the Year level imo.

Last edited: