• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here's Another Stat That Will Piss You Off

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new fence depths have, if anything, had a negative effect on the incumbent players. The team has 21 homeruns at home this year and 15 of them have been hit by first year players (including Ibanez who has spent the last four years with other teams). They have a combined 5 homeruns at home from the returning group of Smoak (0), Ackley(0), Seagar (1), Montero (1), Gutierrez (2), Saunders (1) and Ryan (0). The other homerun was hit by Peguero.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well so far it looks like moving in the fences actually have helped.

This is not accounting for the 2 HRs the Mariners have already hit in today's game but here are the home/away splits for the Mariners so far this year:

Home: .254 BA .91 HR per game 3.78 runs per game
Away: .227 BA 1.26 HR per game 3.44 runs per game

In comparison to last year:

Home: .220 BA .66 HR per game 3.17 runs per game
Away: .247 BA 1.15 HR per game 4.47 runs per game

Obviously a huge difference so far. There are obviously variables that are difficult to account for such as changes in the lineup but there obviously has been a change.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stat that pisses me off is Martinez got DFA'd. Jack got a mop up reliever for Doug Foster.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stat that pisses me off is Martinez got DFA'd. Jack got a mop up reliever for Doug Foster.

'I'm so sick and tired of you guys beating that dead horse. All you do is whine about the Fister trade. Waa-waa-waa. Yada, yada, yada.'

~ Keahleona

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'I'm so sick and tired of you guys beating that dead horse. All you do is whine about the Fister trade. Waa-waa-waa. Yada, yada, yada.'

~ Keahleona

Fister?

Hell, I hardly know her......

:laugh3:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

~ Keahleona

I know, I hate the fact that it still bugs me and I still do not understand it. With all Jack preaches that trade completely goes against it. He's "building the farm system from the ground up" Ok, well he got 1 fucking minor league for a fringe elite pitcher who was making what 400 k. I'm pretty Furbush and Wells combined salaries were more than Fister's.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, I hate the fact that it still bugs me and I still do not understand it. With all Jack preaches that trade completely goes against it. He's "building the farm system from the ground up" Ok, well he got 1 fucking minor league for a fringe elite pitcher who was making what 400 k. I'm pretty Furbush and Wells combined salaries were more than Fister's.

I wonder if Jack, the Milwaukee Brewer talent evaluator, would have advised Jack, the Seattle GM, to make that trade?

So, who is the new GM and who does he hire to manage the team? I'm guessing Wedge and Jack are both fired a few days after the conclusion of the World Series.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its hard to believe someone can misjudge as many players as Jack Z but it has been a constant problem in this organization well before Jack Z. Wedge and Z are merely scapegoats to the real problems in this organization. Speaking of beating dead horses I wont preach on much I love upper management cuz that is a losing battle.

Bottom line is this organization has not produced a good major league hitter since A-Rod which was 20 years ago. I am talking about a guy drafted by the organization, came up through the system and played for the M's. Not guys we gave away like Adam Jones.

My question is if guys like Ackley, Smoak, Saunders etc. were brought up in organizations like St. Louis, Boston, New York would they still be hitting .200?

Misjudging talent is one thing but at some point some blame has to be on not being able to develop players rather then choosing the wrong players.

Sure Wedge and Z could be the blame for that but like I said this problem has been going on well before their time.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well so far it looks like moving in the fences actually have helped.

This is not accounting for the 2 HRs the Mariners have already hit in today's game but here are the home/away splits for the Mariners so far this year:

Home: .254 BA .91 HR per game 3.78 runs per game
Away: .227 BA 1.26 HR per game 3.44 runs per game

In comparison to last year:

Home: .220 BA .66 HR per game 3.17 runs per game
Away: .247 BA 1.15 HR per game 4.47 runs per game

Obviously a huge difference so far. There are obviously variables that are difficult to account for such as changes in the lineup but there obviously has been a change.

Part of that could be due to the sheer number of road games they've had to play so far as opposed to the relatively small amount of home games they've played. They spent a big chunk of April on the road and almost all of May on the road. Some of the series' they played on those trips were so short, they didn't even merit unpacking. This is going to sound like an excuse, but between the injury situation forcing guys who aren't used to playing everyday into doing so and all the travel, you have to wonder how much of a factor fatigue has been this year in relation to road stats. The M's travel schedule is always the worst one, but the travel is usually at least a little more spaced out than it has been this year.

On the other hand, we're in the midst of a slew of home games/west coast trips this month, so we should get a better sense by the all-star break of whether there's anything to the fatigue theory or if the team just can't hit. If we see the home stats stay pretty steady or even increase during this stretch, we can make a good argument for fatigue in the first couple months of the season. If they decrease and start to come closer to the road numbers, we can make a pretty good case that this team just can't hit.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you wrote this on Friday, but even at that point it wasn't really correct. On Friday, the team had played 3 more games on the road then at home. And today it is all even. Also, in April, the team played 13 road games verses 16 home games. Now, in May, you have a point. 17 road games and 9 home games.

I will add that April only had one day off, which was unusual, then into a tough stretch of road games in June with some crazy flying back and forth to the east coast. We also lost Morse during this period. So, I think the fatigue thing could definietly have played a role. The next couple weeks are nice, due to staying on the west coast, as you mentioned, as well as 2 off days during a home stand and a travel day on the 1st of July. This will be very good for Morales and Morse and maybe give Bartender a couple days to get his shit together. The last two weeks before the AS break feature some tough teams, half on the road and half at home.