• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heard a Rumor twice...will wishing make it come true?

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard twice...once from Eklund and once elsewhere that the Flyers are riding out the season with Berube and preparing to throw the bank at Mike Babcock to be the next coach.

How this makes sense....there is no urgency/panic/call for blood coming from Snider. He has been incredibly quiet. Why? He knows that this is a holding pattern and the next move is the big one.

How this doesn't make sense: Babcock would be leaving an organization that is clearly on the rise for one that is clearly two or three years away. Also, Philadelphia's media market is notorious.

Even if Babcock is not in the offing...I give it less than 40%...a real NHL game coach would be nice. One who is capable of developing younger players and developing good work habits in them would be even better...oh wait...we had that coach twice and fired him both times (Terry Murray and John Stevens).

Maybe the third time will be the charm.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Babcock goes anywhere it will be to Toronto as he's from the area. That's also an even bigger challenge and I'm sure that's what he's looking for as Detroit has seemed to take him for granted. Either way I'm honestly ok with Berube the team needs to own up for their lack of focus. Todays game as actually pretty good I'm not that upset just with G not bearing now at the end. I would like to see more from our captain though.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Eklund so there's probably not a whole lot of truth to it

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berube getting fired and us getting a higher pick will contribute to the progression of the Flyers. You can believe otherwise, but it's true.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McKenzie and Dreger have speculated about this. There should be no doubt in any of our minds that the Flyers and Ed Snider will push hard for Babcock. It just comes down to his choice. If he wants to come here and wait for us to build a team then that'd be awesome, but I have my doubts.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McKenzie and Dreger have speculated about this. There should be no doubt in any of our minds that the Flyers and Ed Snider will push hard for Babcock. It just comes down to his choice. If he wants to come here and wait for us to build a team then that'd be awesome, but I have my doubts.

Yep. I'm sure the flyers will be willing to offer him however much money it would take. It all comes down to what Babcock wants to do and he's the only one that would know that.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Babcock would be great, but I think that's a real long shot. I might get torn into for this but I'd be really interested in Bylsma. He seems to be pretty good at getting favorable line match ups and can find ways to win when key players are injured.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Babcock would be great, but I think that's a real long shot. I might get torn into for this but I'd be really interested in Bylsma. He seems to be pretty good at getting favorable line match ups and can find ways to win when key players are injured.

I would be interested in Dan Bylsma too

Not necessarily for line match ups but I think he would do a much better job of utilizing the players he has and getting the most offense out of them - they're 21st in the league in goals per game, way down from previous years and even though they need more talent up front, I don't think they should be that low

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Bylsma. I think he's a good coach.

In general, the Flyers need to be better 5 on 5. It's been a bit of an Achilles heal for years, but this season it is more noticeable because the PP and PK aren't nearly as dominant as they have been. That change was enough to tip the scales between goals for and goals against and has the Flyers on the outside looking in.

With that said, I'm not sure 5 on 5 play gets fixed with a new coach. They need more dynamic offensive talent up front. Giroux and Voracek can create offense, but other than that, you have a bunch of guys that have to manufacture goals instead of paint goals if that makes sense. The rest of the forward group is made up of muck and grind type guys. They need more speed and they need more skill up front.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Bylsma. I think he's a good coach.

In general, the Flyers need to be better 5 on 5. It's been a bit of an Achilles heal for years, but this season it is more noticeable because the PP and PK aren't nearly as dominant as they have been. That change was enough to tip the scales between goals for and goals against and has the Flyers on the outside looking in.

With that said, I'm not sure 5 on 5 play gets fixed with a new coach. They need more dynamic offensive talent up front. Giroux and Voracek can create offense, but other than that, you have a bunch of guys that have to manufacture goals instead of paint goals if that makes sense. The rest of the forward group is made up of muck and grind type guys. They need more speed and they need more skill up front.
I wouldn't mind parting with Coots for more skill up front.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind parting with Coots for more skill up front.

Maybe Couts for a guy like Colin Wilson(mentioned this in the trade thread)? 24 year old having a career year(40 points in 66 games)

Ryan White's play I think may give them some options in the offseason as far as whether they keep 10 and 14 - might be able to move one of them if Ryan White can keep up his play

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I would consider moving Mark Streit as well if it means getting help up front

I know he's a strong PP producer and an overall solid d-man, but he's the one guy on the blueline with value and who is consistent year after year - you might be able to get more offense up front if you move a guy like him

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll get burned down for saying this: but I would love to have Brad Marchand on this team - I think he can be a second line center

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couts and Schenn are still puppies I don't think that you give up on them yet. Bring in more talent around them and let them grow.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couts and Schenn are still puppies I don't think that you give up on them yet. Bring in more talent around them and let them grow.
Yes they are both young but around the NHL the rule is that after 300 games in the NHL the player you see now is probably the player you are going to get throughout their careers. If we keep them I hope your right and they grow to be top level talent. If we don't I hope they stay just as they played this season.