• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hauvster's Rainy Day Thread

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:hand: Go No Further!!! Thread Disclaimer!! :shocked:

Those of you who know me, know my point of view on a great many things concerning the Twins. Since my views tend to get you all in an uproar and all bent out of shape, I have started my own thread by which I can express them without bothering you. My name is in the title as well as an instant "clue in" as to what follows should you click on this thread. If you dont want to hear it, then DONT CLICK IT again! I can be no more fair than this. I will talk about what I thing are issues, and if you have insight you wish to share, then do it. If you just want something to bitch about (me) then stay on your sunshine thread and discuss things that make you happy and give you hope. I will be more realistic.

Not looking to fight with you guys :laser: :lm:, but I just dont agree with many of the views you all hold to. So, if I am over here talking to myself, so be it. It will be where I voice my displeasure and vent my frustrations.

So tomorrow I will start and I'm sure you all just cant wait. But seriously, if you dont want to see it then dont come and read it. Its totally up to you.

So no crying. There is no crying in baseball.
Only bitching.

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Concerning Joe Mauer.

I personally dont believe any person who plays sports is worth 24mill a year. Yes, I know the skills to hit and throw a baseball are not possessed by many, and even fewer that can do it at a ML level. That being said, if all baseball ended tomorrow, my life is uneffected. Just not important enough.

When Joe signed his mamoth deal, I was one who spoke to the folly of it. Based both on a personal opinion (as above) but also on the opinion it was not well thought out and hurt the team.

My perspective that it was not thought out: 24 mill is paid to power hitters who produce runs. Whether I think salaries are justified is irrelevant. Its just the way it is. Joe, with the exception of one year (09) has never been a big run producer. In his other 6 seasons, he never drove in more than 85 runs and never hit more than 13 homers. Yes, it he won numerous batting titles, and thats sweet, but single slappers are table setters, and they get a different rate of pay. I am not taking away from what Joe does, I'm just saying he is getting paid on the wrong scale. His value is based on the one great season he had with the hopes that he will do it again. His track record says he most likely will not.

Also consider his health. :sick: Every season he has played he has spent significant time on the DL. That is alot of cash for a guy you know will be sitting too much of the time. he is a 120-130 game per season guy, at best.

How it hurts the team: Obviously, when he isnt playing it lowers the over all play of the team. But couple that with the fact that so much money is tied up in his contract, our ability to find adequate bench depth is seriously compromised. And tying up that much cash on the hopes Joe will hit with power eliminates the Twins ability to go out and get a guy who actually WILL
hit with power. The guy that is suppose to drive in the Joe Mauers that get on base.

What is to be done? I have my opinions, as do all of you. Mine is that we trade him while his value is still high. I know - there is merit in your complaints that he is the Minnesota Golden Boy and the Twins fans will revolt.
But those fans need to grow up. This is a business, and this deal hurts the Twins as a whole.

There is also the idea that Joe can be moved to another position. Ok, but a big part of Joe's value is that he is a catcher. You can bet that factors into his salary. How many cathers can match Joe at the plate? power or no power? Few, if any. Move him to 1st and his numbers arent even in the top 5. Move him to the OF and he falls even farther down the production charts. For the money, if he isnt the catcher, the Twins are getting robbed. And I think we all know that his catching days are whinding down. Its breaking him down. To keep forcing him to catch will result in his being injured even more often.

Thus, my PoV is to make a trade. The only question that we need to answer is this whether we are trading for the future or the here and now. My pick is the future. I truly believe our window to win right now has closed. Grab a couple young players who are ready to play now, and snag a couple minor leaguers to develope.

Thats my point of view on the Joe Mauer situation. Am I right? :think: Who can say for sure? (I can if you want me to e-mail you the answer). If you have anything to add, feel free. Niceness given is niceness returned. If you dont like what I think, well, you were warned. If you walk in the rain, dont cry when you get wet.

The Hauvster :amen:

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Concerning Joe Nathan:

If there were no Mariano Rivera in NY, this guy would be the undisputed King of Closers for the past decade. He is easily the best closer the Twins have ever had. Collecting saves nearly 90% of the time. An ERA under 2.00 year after year. I have always loved this guy. I forgive him his fear of the Yankees. The rest of the time he kicked ass.

But that was yesterday. His clearly isnt back from last seasons injury, and there is no garuntee he ever will be. I want to believe, but at this moment, he isnt doing the job he is being paid to do. In a perfect world, Joe would step forward and tell the club he isnt getting it done so, here, have some of your money back. But the world isnt perfect, and this will never happen, so this must remain a business decision. The option exists to buy Joe out and save 7 mill (?) next season. I feel guilty even saying it, like I have betrayed a friend, but the Twins need to exercise that option. Based on the total uncertainty of his recovery, there is no other recourse.

I am not against Joe re-signing for lesser money. Matter of fact, I would hope he would. Maybe a one year deal to see how things flush out. If Joe could find his form again, that would be a huge bonus for this team. We could settle one of the many issues we have, and he could haggle a new deal afterwards. If he re-signed, and things didnt pan out, we could shake hands, thank him for his time served, and part ways friend. And both sides would know it was a fair deal.

Am I right? Who can say? But if Joe M and Joe N got moved, thats 31mill off the roster next season. No, I am not advicating saving the Twins money. I am going somewhere with this. One step at a time, though.

Thats it for today, May 26th.

Hauvster out.........:faint:

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ATT00531.jpg

You came, you saw, and you cannot unsee it. But you can look again.....

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Concerning Micheal Cuddyer:

What can you say here? Mike is Gardenhire's hand picked boy. He has been pushing this guy as a great clubhouse guy, a leader on the team for a couple years now. I have a hard time with this line of thought. I dont see it myself, and just because Gardenhire says it, that doesnt make it so. Mike may be the first guy to jump in front of the camera, but that doesnt make him the leader. His comments are cliche and never deliver insight, unless its in reference to the fans needing to shut up because we dont understand how hard it is to be a baseball player. I get it Mike.....I really do.

At the plate, he goes up and down. He has had a couple years where he really came through (06 & 09), but more often than not, he doesnt deliver the goods. He kills this team when runners are on base. Last season, filling in for Morneau, he was primed to have a great RBI season and choked majorly. He has continued along that path this year and we just need someone with more of everything that what Mike can bring. He is not worth 12mill with a bat in his hands. 50 games in and 13 RBI's? His home run total is on line for his norm (15ish), but almost zero run production outside of that.

On the field, I can appreciate the fact he can play multiple positions. There is value in that. But he isnt good enough at any one position to warrant 12mill a year. Again, we have a player that had one good year and we tossed him the check book to fill in the blanks. This is very similar to what happened with Nick Punto. As a starter, there is nothing special here. As a bench guy, his worth may change some.

The rub here is simple for me- if Mike comes off the bench, and takes a pay cut according to his ability, then he could become an asset. You can always use a guy that is flexible like this. The unfortunate part of all of this is simple also - as long as Gardenhire makes out the line-up card, this guy is getting his at bats. This doesnt help the team. I can live with the guy as a utility player, but not as a starter, but that requires Gardenhire to be gone.

There is one other thing I like about Mike. Something I think alot of folks over-look. It doesnt happen every time he bats, but it happens enough that I notice. He can take a pitcher deep into the count. Too often I watch Morneau, Young, Span or others step to the plate, and 2 pitches later they are out. Mike seems to get alot of 9, 10, 12 pitch at bats. I like this. I like it alot. Sure it would be great if he always got on base, but even if he doesnt, he has made the pitcher work. He has given his teammates valuable insight into what the pitcher has to offer on any given day. Trouble is, our hitters are too lame to take advantage.

Bottom line: Mike the utility guy or bust. There is a potential niche for him on this team, if certain things were to fall into place. 31mill + 12mill = 43mill

Its just my opinion on the matter.
Am I right? Who can say for sure? (hint- I can)

Hauvster out :faint:

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Concerning the pitching staff:

Wow, this one is all over the place. Pavano, Liriano, Baker, Blackburn, Duensing......

Ok, lets just go in order. I think last season we got the best you can hope to get from Pavano. He is a work horse, that much we can all agree on. But he isnt an ace. I know he started the year out horribly, and I still have faith he will right himself and be somewhat effective. The team is border-line over paying for his services. Again, a knee jerk contract for a flash of competence. Dont over pay and dont expect too much from him and everything should balance out.

Liriano....the enigma. Yes, he had the no hitter.....yes, he had the fabulous 2006 season. But, to expect those results on a regular basis, I think, is folly.
This guy is weak in the mind. I think, when he is believing in himself, he has the potential to kick some ass. But when he loses his confidence, he is a ship wreck and there is no times table as to when he will undo his funk and correct course. Way too much baby sitting for a guy in the major leagues. I
pray the team doesnt waste a ton of money on his "potential". He has never shown that he has the ability to be consistant. Dont be fooled by the occasional brilliance. Give me consistancy and I'll lighten up on my opinion.

Baker!!! Here is the guy that drives me nuts. He HAS the ability. We see it so often you cannot deny it. Then he will turn around and just stink the house up time and time again. What is up with this guy? Again, like Liriano, before you waste money on this guy, he needs to show the ability to be consistant. if he cant, he should be considered prime trade bait to gather more prospects. Other teams see the potential here. Someone will bite and give something up for him.

Blackburn. Gardenhire loves this guy. Thats enough for me to hate him. And he backs that up with some of the worst outtings I have ever seen. He is hard to figure as well. He can show you a tough start and make you believe he can hold his own, then totally fall apart the next time he takes the mound. Another starter that has a track record of going good then going bad. This whole staff is that way and that is the problem.

I had hoped the Duensing was going to do better than he has. He is young, so I suppose he still has time to learn a few things. It took Frank Viola a few years to turn into what he eventually became. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

But all in all, this staff has no leader. No ace to look to to get that win we absolutely must have. To get that win that stops the bleeding. They all have the ability to do it, but they all lack the consistency to do so with conviction.
Show me a guy these guys can follow. If this team is to win it all, this is something that will need to be addressed. What we have now simply wont be enough to take us all the way to a WS victory.

Am I right? (you all know I am)

anythingispossible

Dangling Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 1928

You came, you saw, and you cannot unsee it. But you can look again.....
1928d1307039877t-hauvsters-rainy-day-thread-att00531.jpg

Bastage! .

Good writing though.

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Concerning Justin (Marsh)Morneau: :arg:

For years I have had a running debate with many of you about the "true" worth of Justin Morneau. Its no secret I am not a big fan. I can appreciate his gawdy stats. He does have nice numbers. But my beef with Fluffy is that he is weak mentally and physically. The mind first:

He fails in the clutch and always fades down the stretch.

In my arguments with you guys, I have learned that "clutch" means many different things to many different posters. I wont concern myself with what the rest of you find to be clutch, I will only address what it means to me.

Clutch #1= that big hit late in the game when we need it most. When the game hangs in the balance and your hit helps determine the outcome. Thats clutch. A home run in the first or second inning, though nice and may on occasion provide a margin of victory, are not clutch hits. Games are seldom won that early. No, a clutch hit to me is the one in the 8th that has a shit load of pressure added to it. The big time at bat. The kind of at bat you pretended to have as a kid in the back yard. Did ever imagine yourself hitting a homer in the first inning? Hell no!! It was a game ender! You were the hero! The guy who came thru when it mattered. Example? Kirby- game 6 - 11th inning. You all know the game I speak of.

You do not get this from Justin.

Clutch #2= that guy who picks the team up late in the season. The guy whos run production propells his team to the top. The guy who carries his team thru the post season. The guy who makes the difference in the series.
Example? Mr. October - I dont even need to mention his name. You know who he is based solely on what he has done. 5 WS rings? Post season is what we play the season for. Nothing else matters. And he was at his best when it mattered most.

Justin tears the league up in April-May, then fades after the
All-Star break EVERY year. Sorry folks, that is not clutch.

If games were decided in the first 3 innings, if the season was won in April and May, Justin Morneau would be a beast. In reality, he is a good player with good number, just not the guy who will make you a winner.

You can debate that comment if you like, but first, lets take a truthful look at how this team performs without the guy. Three years running this team plays BETTER when Justin is not in the line-up. 2009 what was it? 16-4? 2010 it was 50-26? and now, this season, its 13-3. If he is so important to the team, this wouldnt be the case. Again, I have 2 theories on this.

Theory #1- The rest of the team is more liken to me than to the rest of you, as in, they dont like this guy much either. Maybe he is a cancer and when not involved in the game, the others are just more relaxed. You can say I dont know shit, and you are correct. I do not know- but neither do you. If there were a rift between him and his teammates, you wouldnt hear about it. We didnt hear about Torii Hunter trying to clean his clock until Torii was no longer around. Its happened once.....dont dismiss it so quickly.

Theory #2- Not so much a theory as an observation, but with Justin out of the line-up, others get more playing time. Gardenhire has a retarded idea that everyone needs to rotate and share at bats and "stay fresh". With Justin out, Mike moves to 1st, Kubel moves to the OF and Thome gets to DH. Couple that with no more shuffling of playing time for DYoung, and you have 4
guys playing consistantly and getting the swings going. Four is greater than one, is it not? Four hot bats vrs one? Is it really that hard to follow?

Ok, so ends the first segment of my Morneau rant :crazy: He is NOT the player you can count on to take you to the top. I will finish up my thoughts on the next post.

Remember, these are just my opinions. You dont need to agree with them.....but then.....that would make you wrong.

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Long awaited conclussion on Morneau:

I have watched that hit Morneau took to the head last season. Over and over again I watched it. I just dont see it. There are so many things that dont add up for me. Those of you from Fox already know all of this. I said it enough times, but here it goes one more time.

#1- Justin has his helmet on.
#2- When Justin slides under the second basemen, the knee of the fielder is in mid-air. There is no set resistance or speed generated from the knee when Morneau makes contact.
#3- Justin makes physical contact with the top of his helmeted head, and as he hits the fielders knee and slides under, his head gets pushed down to the left.
#4- Justins head meets no resistance from the ground as it gets pushed downward, and he slides out from under the contact.

Ok, I am not saying he couldnt of had his bell rung. Sure, I can see that happening, but how many days to recover from that light weight collision? 3? 7? Certainly not 10 months? I would have been more convinced had they come out and said he strained his neck. THAT actually makes more sense to me. And of course, fielding and hitting with a stiff kneck isnt going to happen. Take the week off - no complaints from the hauvster. But I'm sorry, that collision was not the type of thing that lays a guy out for months on end.

Have you ever seen a guy get whacked? Just watch the video and watch how Justin leaves the field. His demeanor, his walk; they dont say I just recieved a concussion and wont be back this year.

An example: Tommy Kramer, 1977. Reynolds sacks him, wrapping his arms around Tommy's, picking him up, spinning him around, and driving his defensless head into the turf. Momentum, force, total resistance from the ground- and Tommy goes into convulsions. I beleive they had to carry him off the field. 5 weeks later this player comes in and leads the Vikings to one of their greats comebacks of all time vrs the 49ers. Justin- a glancing blow and he is out from 10 months. Which requires more mental prowess? Standing in the batters box? or running an offense on the football field?

Now there is the argument that Justin suffers from previous concussions. Well, ok, I guess I can work with that. If his previous concussions were so serious that a simple glancing blow like what occured could throw him off like it did, then this guy really needs to retire from the field.

Lets take a look at two of the greatest QB's of the last 20 years, who led their teams to multiple championships btw. In a sport infinitely more violent than baseball, we watched Troy Aikman and Steve Young take hit after hit, suffer multiple concussion, and at that certain point in their respected careers, they called it quits to protect themselves. Now seriously, are you trying to tell me that Justin Morneau, as a HS hockey goalie, suffered similar physical abuses? You will understand if I dont believe it.

I understand that everyone is different, and concussions need to be monitored on an individual case by case basis. I accpet that argument totally. Some guys are just infinitely tougher men than the great Justin Marshmorneau. If all it takes to lay this guy out so thuroughly (a glancing blow to the helmet) then this fellow has no business being on the field in any sport. Far too dangerous for him. Aikman and Young, at the top of their game, called it quits for safety sake. Justin needs to also. Baseball isnt football, but there are still many things that can happen where he could get knocked out again. A nasty hop off some random grounder. An errant throw from another base. A breaking ball that gets away from the pitcher. A collision on the base path. A collision at home plate. Another temper tantrum by Pavano that goes horribly wrong..... time to retire and protect yourself, bro.

My opinion: Morneau- not a clutch hitter, not a team leader, not a tough guy.
There may be times when he delivers, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. For the money he is paid, the risk is now to high. 2006 is 5years past, you gotta let it go. He isnt that guy anymore. If he comes back from this latest injury, and produces anything at all, I say trade him and get what you can for him. Its time for the Twins to cut their losses here. If he fails to produce, then we really need to look at our options. You just cant spend 14mill on a guy who doesnt produce anymore, and who could be laid out for another year at the drop of a hat. Its irresponsible to the fans and the business.

As usual, some of you will be angry about what I have said. You dont post to my comments, but I know you read them all the same. I'm not a fool. You cant help yourself. I have been calling Justin out for 3 years now, pointing out the facets of failure that I see. I have done so in a genuine attempt to help you see past the numbers. The numbers dont always tell the whole truth.
I have always said Justin was a good hitter. He is a good fielder. But he isnt the leader you all dream of. Nor is he the guy you want at the plate to decide things. If this guy hit in September like he does in May, he would be a monster...MVP multiple times. The Twins would be champions and I would be his biggest fan. But thats a dream, and it will never become a reality.

Its all about winning for me. No one cares who finishes second. Bring me a ring and all is forgiven. I really am that simple. This team wins when Justin sits. He is not an important part of this teams success. 16-4 in 2009. 50-26 in 2010. And so far this year, 13-5.

These are my thoughts on the great Justin Morneau. Take them for what they are worth. Debate them if you will. Hate me if you must. I care not.
How much money are we talking now? 57mill a year? Man, what could we do with that?

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Porky Gardenhire is next.....that aught to fire you all up.

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Concerning Gardenhire:

Most of you know, I cant stand the fat man. I find him to be a fool. Some of the decisions that he makes, time and time again, just blow my mind. They dont make sense to me, and I am at a loss as to what the hell he was thinking. But before I go off, lets just take it one part at a time.

In the beginning- When Porky got the job, I didnt know much about him. I thought he was an odd choice, but so be it. Like I said, what do I know? I think he inherited a team set to break out. And in his first year at the helm, thats exactly what happened. It was exciting after such a long and sour dry spell. And that series against the A's rocked. Losing always sucks, but losing to the Angels in the following series was kind of expected. Nonetheless, a good showing, and I actually felt Gardenhire deserved Manager of the Year THAT year. Yes, Hauvster said it - Gardenhire for MotY in 2002!! (you all leave me no choice but to scrub this post later) In a year following the threat of retraction, it was a blessing to all Twins fans.

When did my mind change?

In 2006. The Twins have the reputation of making late season come backs, and this is the year that rep began to grow. That season was nothing short of golden. Morneau MVP, Mauer BT, Santana CY...a huge 12 1/2 game come back. MotY again? Yes, I thought it. But then came that embarrassing sweep out of the first round. I was stunned. IMO this was one of the best Twins teams ever....and they came up flat. It was like they called it in after an award filled season. It wasnt over yet! There was no Championship won!

This is when I began to watch Gardenhire more closely. The more I watched, the more dissatified I become. Years of false hopes- winning during the season- only to be dominated and pushed aside in the play offs. Poor start after poor start, only to come charging back to capture the division at the very end. It made me start asking -why arent we ready when the season begins? Why arent we sharp for the playoffs after such an energizing finish to the season? My opinion? Lack of leadership and focus. In the club house and in the dug out.

Lets be honest. The American League Central has been one of the weakest divisions in the AL for years. We play a majority of our games within the division. Do the math - the record is skewed. We own most teams in our division. The fear us, and believe that they cannot beat us. And therefore, they fail. It is exactly like the fear the Twins have of the Yankees, and its why they lose time and time again. We can beat our own division, but in the playoffs, when we draw a tougher team, we get spanked. Porky is not the guy to lead us beyond the division. I back that point up with evidence of fact - since the rookie campeign in 2002, this team is a dismal 2-15 won/loss and 0-5 in series. Those are the facts. Say what you want, they are undisputable.

After 9 years, I am done with this clown.

Gardenhire reminds me of Dennis Green of the Vikings. He had his strong points, and he lead the Vikings to many a division title, but he couldnt win when it mattered. If having a winning record is enough for you, then Gardenhire is your guy. If winning division titles is enough for you, then Gardenhire is your guy. If you expect a championship, then he is not. He cannot do it, he has not done it, it will not happen with this guy at the helm.
And it wont happen for two reasons - the players this guy choses to surround himself with and the decision/strategy that this guy employs from the dug out stairs. This is why he needs to go if this team is to win.

Relax folks, I am nowhere close to being done with my Gardenhire rant. I just wanted to lay some tracks as to my way of thinking. Share with you my insight so as to better allow you to follow me. That doesnt mean you need to agree, its just to help you understand. Its championship or bust for me now. This guy had the horses and couldnt get them over the finish line. Time for a new jockey.

When next I post, I will point out the my case about the players Gardenhire likes to collect (and play) even when its a detriment to the team. I didnt want to write a book, so I will break it up some. I know when my posts are too long, Bucky's eyes get tired, and I dont want him to stop reading.

Until next time, :noidea:

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Concerning Gardenhire #2

I really, really hate the way this guy uses the pitching staff.

I have said it a hundred times, he has NO feel for the flow of the game. How many times has this manager pulled a hot pitcher due to the "pitch count"?
I hate that pitch count philosophy. There was a day when pitchers were men and they routinely went the distance. Not anymore, my friends. I know Gardenhire didnt come up with the idea, but thats one of the problems. This guy pulls strategy from a book, not from his gut. Not on how things are in the moment. I dont believe you can manage any sports team, by simply going with the averages, or by doing what everyone else does. Is so predictable its pathetic.

When your starter is hot, and hits the 7th inning in control, you gotta give him the chance to cross the finish line. How many times (dozens) have we seen him pull a guy dominating the other team, only to have the bullpen blow the lead up? How many times have you seen the starter get hit early, yet fatty doesnt pull him until we are down 8 runs? Its like he has the pitching game post-scripted and he is unwilling to tear up the notes and roll the dice.

Did you all notice that, in this current streak of success, the starters have been going deep into games? We have had more pitchers throw CG's this last month than we have had in years. How many times have you all seen me screaming not to pull the starter? Alot. After watching this stupidity year after year, I no longer believe Gardenhire can manage the staff. Anderson even less.

I also believe he is terrible with the psyce of these young guys. His inability to relate, or deal effectively with then, has stunted their growth, if not stopped it all together. I truely believe Scott Baker begins to dominate under a different manager. I would hate to see BD get broken as well. I think Liriano read too many of his own press clippings and needs to get his head on strait.
Not sure I lay that one on Gardenhire.

Gardenhire is the manager. Supposedly the team leader. This guy needs to make sure these guys get into shape. We have soo many injuries with our pitchers, I have to wonder if any pressure is put on them to prepare for the season. I am not a believer in "saving" their arms for later in the season. Thats a farce. These guys need to be ready to start the season, and their manager is responsible to make sure that they are. Would this not also help with our early season slumps?

Our bullpen last season was pretty good. We had the Crain wreck, who came on REALLY strong the 2nd half- Big Jon, who did ok as our closer until the hitters figured him out. But he was still a middle of the road guy. Fuentes, who I really liked. Mijares, Gardenhire's hispanic double, who is good only for one lefty hitter, then he must sit (boo)- Fatt Capps, who put alot of guys on base, but did manage to gather up some saves. Only Matty G, and his total collapse, couldn't be counted on.

This year, most are gone. Mijares cant go more than two batters without getting exposed as a weak pitcher. Fatt Capps cant save a game. All the rest are minor leaguers and cant get it done. Well, there is Perkins. He is doing well. Who saw that coming? Not I. If ever, in the 9 years Gardenhire has run this team, did we need to have a strong starting staff, its this year.
This bullpen cannot be counted on, even when we have a huge lead. This is scary folks. Even if we were to win the Central, this staff will not survive a series against a real opponent. You all know this. You're just hoping for a different outcome.

I read an article where Gardenhire said he wasnt worried about Capps stuff, but more concerned about the guy getting down on himself and losing his confidence. Wow....babysitting. Listen up Matt! This is baseball, and you are the closer. If you cant handle the role, step aside. Or should I say, if we had a real manager, this guy would already be sitting? Come on Joe, take some steriods or something and get back to us. I dont care, we need you.

The manager needs to manage, and a leader needs to lead, and sometimes tose responsibilities mean you need to do things you dont like. But you know that they are the right things to do for the welfare of the team. Porky Gardnehire is not the man for the job, although I will give him kudos for pulling Nathan when it became obvious he wasnt ready. I was surprised. But in reality, this should have been found out in ST, not the regular season, so its a push on the kudos I guess.

Yes, I like to complain :lalala:. But remember this? Back in 2003, we used Santana as a starter in the second half, and he was our best starter. But in 04, Gardenhire wanted to keep him in the pen. Santana had to threaten a trade request in order to get into the starting rotation. And look what he did. Gardnehire would have kept him in the pen. Just an example of not seeing clearly. And that isnt the only one, but I'm done for the moment.

We can do better than this guy, I am sure of it. He doesnt have the insight to run this staff. Its time for new eyes.

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Concerning Gardenhire #3

One of my biggest beef's with this manager is they way he favors some players over other. Drives me nuts. Well, it drives me nuts because the ones he tends to favor tend to really suck. I get the "clubhouse player". I really do. But just because this fool says a guy is great in the clubhouse doesnt make it so. He collects a mottley bunch of players with virtually no skills and tries to pawn them off as great clubhouse guys or great team players or great defenders. Enough already. We fans can see for ourselves who is what, you cant hoodwink us.

Nick Punto was not a defensive genius, yet, it was constantly said that he was. Tell the lie enough times isnt going to make it so. Nick Punto killed us far more than he ever helped us. Base running blunders, throwing errors, that stupid head first slide.....GOD! How many rallies did this guy kill the last 4 years. Yet he was in the line up regularly. I guess I should be thankful he did the head first thing, because he got hurt and Porky had to call up Danny V. And that was a huge boon for this teams turn around last season. Without the injury, Gardenhire stays with Punto regardless, and the team suffers for it.

Matt Tolbert, where to begin. I remember a few years ago listening to our genius manager praise this guy as an up and coming star. Said he was going win a batting title in the majors. Haha really? The guy cant even hit his own weight. A terrible, terrible managerial decision. And he sticks with the kid for three years...and counting. This guy is taking up a roster spot that could go to some other player that can atleast add something to the roster. But gardenhire has his back as well, so nothing will change.

Drew Butera - Do I really even need to say anything here? Ramos? Morales? gone in favor of this clown? Our manager tells us he is superior behind the plate. I dont buy that for a second. He is nothing behind the plate, and for him to be the superior of the three, the other two need to be handi-capped and retarded to not beat Butera. And Drew cant hit. The other two could. There is no way in Hades that this guys defense even comes close to balancing out for his lack of offense. But yes, Gardenhire has his back as well, so we are stuck with him.

Alex Casilla- This guy is hard to peg. He shows you the potential then he flops. But, after watching this act for 4 years, I pass. If he cant hold down the position and produce on a regular basis, we need someone who will. On this particular player, I have seen Gardenhire be more harsh than any of the others. Thats a curious thing to me because even when he sucks, he is better than Butera or Tolbert, and those two get a free pass.

These are just a few of the failures I have been forced to endure. When it comes to players who arent ready, or players who are producing, Gardnehire is sloooow to recognize that something needs to be done. he has his favorites, and they get the at bats, whether it hurts the Twins or not. I said it alot last season- Gardenhire's job was SAVED by all the injuries last season. Those injuries happened to the right players to get them removed from the line up and to get other players in.

Morneau's injury allowed Cuddyer to move to 1st. That move let Kubel/Span/Young play every day in the OF and find their stroke. Kubel moving to the OF allowed Thome to PH. All the sudden we have runs getting scored.

Punto's injury allowed Danny V to get called up. This was huge. It also allowed JJ and O-Dog to not have to sacrifice at bats to Punto in order to placate Porky. Mauer was Mauer. And the team began to win. Not an accident folks. There was a real reason for it. And it all happened in spite of what Gardenhire wanted to do. The baseball Gods intervened, and somehow Gardenhire got the MotY haha. Sometimes life aint fair.

I would point out this season to support my thesis. If gardenhire was so grand and astute in his managing of line ups when players are injured, what is up with this season? Why no magic? Because he had little to do with the success of last season. Does he have alot to do with this seasons failure? To a degree yes. Not having a good catcher to start was big. The line up he chose coming out of ST was not ready to play. Hence a 22 game deficit early on. His loyalty to the old guard is a mistake. Once those guys sat down and the younger generation got to play, we started turning things around. A great manager would have seen this in ST, not wait two months into the season. This failure to see may cost us a division flag.

I have little to no faith in Gardenhire's ability to lead this team. If we are to win and move beyond the minimum, we need a new guy. Some of you are satisfied with division titles, I am all about WS titles. Champs or bust! Its harsh, I know, but its what I call 'a successful year'. After 9 years, this guy is a bust. :rant:

That being said, should this team take the division and continue on to a WS title, feel free to click on this thread and tell me how stupid I am. Unlike some of you from the other site, I can take it. No crying here :bump2:. No reports to the moderator. I have been vocal in my dissatisfaction of this team and its manager and I stand by it. If I am wrong, and I have to take some heat in exchange for a WS win, so be it. I'm a big boy. You know where to find me.
I'll be right here. Lack of character? Sorry, not here bubba.....

Hauvster out :rip:

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A bit of positive thinking now.

Morneau is about through as a Twin. If Mauer moves to first, then Cuddyer is done as well. I think that is the wrong move, but thats the move I see ahppening. You cant count on Joe to play, and when he does, he has no power. This season Cuddyer is tearing it up. But mauer is the home town boy and, whether I agree or not, he will get the nod.

With Mauer at first, our number one need is a real catcher. We gotta find one folks. Butera cannot be the guy again next season.

Second base is a crap shoot. I think the Japo guy is a bust. Casilla I would keep as a back up. If we dont look to sign a real 2nd baseman, I would like to
see Hughes get a shot.

At SS, I would like to see what Plouffe can do if given at bats. That could be a mistake, yes, but I do not know yet.

At 3rd is Danny V, and he will only get better.

In the OF, I like the idea of Spann and Revere. I hope Spann ddoesnt get traded away. I dont care for DYoung, I think we try and get power from FA to fill his spot.

Big Jim might not be around next season, so I have no problem with Kubel manning the Dh role.

With all the young guys, I doubt we win right away. But in my head, I see a team based more on speed than power. Make these boys run, and run alot. A power hitting FA to go with DV and Kubel, maybe Cuddyer, I think we find ourselves an exciting team.

An Ace is a must, and bring up Baker, Duensing and Pavano, and some young guy you want to develope. No more Frankie or Blackie.

The bullpen is a mess. Just a strait up overhaul please. Joe Nathan looks like he is getting stronger. Maybe the closer role with be ok. Lets hope that its true.

Just some thoughts for next season. Oh yes, and a new manager. Fingers crossed. :boxing:

Get rid of the dead weight money, and spend it on fresh blood.

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, we had a decent run there as we came back from 22 down. But now things have leveled out. Pavano seems to be less effective than he was last season. Thats too bad. I had hoped for more. But in all honesty, in his decade long career, he only ever had 2 real good years. The rest have been rather mediocre.

Frankie, although I hoped for better, is what I thought he was. You cant bank on him. He is no ace. He will never lead you where you want to go.

The real Nick Blackburn is home now. I'm not real sure who that first guy was, but it was only a matter of time before he derailed. Its sad yes, but I wasnt fooled. He has never shown any kind of track record saying he could win for the whole season.

I know you all hate it when I say I told you so, but I did. This was false hope sold to you by the Twins FO and managers. I knew what these guys were...end of the rotation fill-ins at best. Pavano is the only real disappointment to me, but only slightly. He could still rebound to get his era in around 4. If he does, I'll re-rate that as a push.

I am pleased with Baker though. I KNEW he had it in him, I just didnt think he would find it without some leadership. Grats Scottie. Please keep it up all year and give me some hope. Not so much worried about his W/L record, as this team blows. I am watching his hits/bb/so and era. I like the way it is adding up.

Mark this down fellas, I was WRONG on Brian D. I thought he would do much better. He has been hot and cold all year long. He is a young kid though, and I wont log my faith in him just yet. If he can close strong, get that era down to 4, and maybe have a winning record, I'll give him another year next year before I decide.

I would have posted this on the other site, but it seems I am no longer welcome there. Childish to say the least, but Grats.

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh, I was right about Fatt Capps as well. But there may be hope. Seems Joe is rounding into some sort of shape. Maybe by next spring, he will be our man again. Man, so many questions coming at the end of this year. I know what I would do. How about you?