• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Guppies vs Washington Dynamo

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jones vs Holtby in the pipes and The Great 8 is a game time decision

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yay Nieto found a way not to hit the goalie in the chest.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1 goal against in 3 games, wow. I know it's early but jones getting 40 wins this season is not out of the question

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know it's only been 3 games but wow 1 goal against in 3 games fur Jones. I won't be shocked if he gets 40 wins this season

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man, what a game. the sharks look like they did to start the season like 8 or so years ago, when the seto-jumbo combo was going off and they had 4 of the top 10 scorers on D in Pickles, errorhoff, Boyle and blake. However, this year looks even better! Amazing observations:

1. Obviously the team D is awesome. Jones is rockin' it, but the D isnt giving up the tap ins they did before. Jones has a chance on all shots and his is never letting in the first one and isnt giving up nearly the juicy rebounds. Pretty incredible.

2. Depth, depth, depth. You all know how I clamor about bottom 6 and D scoring. Well, All four lines have Multiple goals! Not just 1, but more than one in just 3 games. Jumbo's line has 4 (JT 2, JD 1, JP 1), cooch's line has 2, Hertl line has 3 (hertl 2, nieto 1), and even the 4th line has 2. And of course, the D has one with Burns.

Basically, that means all 5 lines (including the D) has scored in just 3 games. Impossible to match up against or shut down if the opposition can roll 4 scoring lines. amazing.

3. Special teams! The PK is perfect. Ridiculous how bad they were last year to revolutionize and be perfect thus far. yes, Jones has had to make a few big saves, but the PK in general has limited top chances nicely. And, the PP looks incredibly sharp. nearly every PP has had multiple prime scoring chances and looks dangerous.

right now, it's clicking on all cylinders. The next two interesting things to watch for me are how they do when they have condensed games (thus far multiple days between every game = fresh legs) and how they do when they face adversity like lose a tough game, have jones let in a weak one, or even lose a couple in a row. These things will happen over 82 games, so it will be neat to see how they respond.

lastly, I look forward to seeing how they can respond to a tough injury, something also sure to happen at some point. In the meantime, fun to watch and sure feels different.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
by the way, I know its kinda mean, but I am LOVING Tadd's start in edmonton. I was never impressed at all with his handling of the sharks. He acquired a great team from Grandpa Ron, and while he made the WCF twice, he never seemed to adjust as needed to opponents and the team collapsed under his reign and choked several times, most notable against the ducks in the 1st round after winning the presidents trophy and then of course two years ago to LA and last year's debacle. I feel he severely mismanaged his lines and players which directly contributed to the inconsistencies throughout his tenure.

I love that he's finding it alot easier to coach the red wings with their decades of winning history and the sharks with JT, PM, and Danny boyle in their primes (among others), than a young up and coming team like edmonton. He has clearly not established a good defensive structure yet or gotten the most out of their young guns. Yes, it's 3 games, but I have no love for Todd, and I feel much better watching him fail early in stark contrast to the sharks' success. 3 games is 3 games, but I will relish in the meantime.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
McLellan has been great with that group. The defense he is forced to ice wouldn't even hold up in the AHL. There isn't a single legit NHLer among them. He's already brought a ton of structure to that group of forwards. You ask any Oilers fan and they will say it's night and day better under McLellan than any of the receint coaches there.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah Oilers D is horrid and Talbot is already shell shocked

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They've said a number of times they weren't going to be good right away and they are not. But McLellan certainly has them headed in the right direction.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Whos to say their D is that bad? its bad, but not THAT bad. sakera, schultz and klefbom are solid players. The rest of the D is iffy, and I agree that maybe no one could make them good just yet. That said, I am unimpressed...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Schultz is the worst positional dman in the league. He's a PP dman who's capable of providing ECHL level defense. Sekera is a solid 2nd pairing when he has a competent partner but he's not close to having that partner. Klefblom belongs in the AHL. He's not close to NHL ready. He will be a decient 3rd pairing guy in two or three years but he's not there yet.