• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guess who got Cooley's highest grade vs Indy.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy who he said could be our anchor at right tackle for years to come.
Tom Compton. Graded him with a B+. Said he is a great in the run game and will improve in the pass protection part. He even said it is not out of the possibility that Compton could play some guard if he needed to(as he mentioned with Moses)

Now I love listening to Cooley. His detail on many things are excellent. He does not give the kind of detailed analyses with the oline play that he gives with the QB, WR's, and defense. He says a few broad things, talks about one play the guy made maybe, then gives the grade.

So either we were all wrong on Compton and he is a diamond in the rough, or Cooley's oline view has somehow become skewed. Maybe he needs to spend some time reviewing other Olines to see what we compare against?

I will happily admit I was wrong if Compton turns out to be as good as Cooley believes.

What' chu talkin bout Willis?
Compton_uspw_5969650_crop_exact.jpg

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooley's perspectives while useful, are not gospel. You have to wonder what his true analysis would be if he were not still friends with former teammates and not employed by the team radio station.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooley's perspectives while useful, are not gospel. You have to wonder what his true analysis would be if he were not still friends with former teammates and not employed by the team radio station.

I don't know about that. He rips Logan Paulson a new one all the time and they are more than ex-teammates, they are close friends for obvious reasons.

I was so disgusted with that game I had more attention to the other TV and the Red Zone Channel. I'll watch him this week.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compton has shown what Cooley says - he's solid in the run game and needs work in pass pro - Just like Polumbus.

The problem with "needing work on pass protection" is that a guy can make 52 plays perfectly and if he blows 3 plays, and we get sacked, that can ruin an offensive game plan. Over the course of a season, a tackle can't give up 2 or 3 sacks per game, it has to be more like 6 or 8 sacks a year, which would be decent.

If each OL gives up just one sack per game, that's 5 total per game and it ends up being 80 in a season which is disastrous. The total number needs to be more like 25 per season to be successful, so that means each OL gives up about 5 per season. Not 1 or 2 per game.

So a guy like Compton who has that weak spot in his game will have to tighten it up a whole lot, or else he's just Polumbus or Chester and we can't have that.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compton constantly gets blowed back on pass rushes. Cooley is wrong here. Why isn't Moses in to get experience? It doesn't make sense to me. Even if he is not ready put him out there. He needs game experience. The same thing goes for Long over Chester. Get these young guys in there.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compton has shown what Cooley says - he's solid in the run game and needs work in pass pro - Just like Polumbus.

The problem with "needing work on pass protection" is that a guy can make 52 plays perfectly and if he blows 3 plays, and we get sacked, that can ruin an offensive game plan. Over the course of a season, a tackle can't give up 2 or 3 sacks per game, it has to be more like 6 or 8 sacks a year, which would be decent.

If each OL gives up just one sack per game, that's 5 total per game and it ends up being 80 in a season which is disastrous. The total number needs to be more like 25 per season to be successful, so that means each OL gives up about 5 per season. Not 1 or 2 per game.

So a guy like Compton who has that weak spot in his game will have to tighten it up a whole lot, or else he's just Polumbus or Chester and we can't have that.

Well - this really shouldn't be much different than the RG3 situation. In the same manner - perhaps Compton makes fundamental mistakes that can be corrected given an offseason or two with hard work or solid coaching. Perhaps not - but again you can't just give up on young players after a year or two. None of us really know which of the younger players will be solid in the future - maybe hardly any. However - you can't just retool every year, and the focus should be on the younger guys. For the most part the older guys are not going to improve.