• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grading the summer

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Without talking about he hall steal. How's Ray done?

A. IMO

He's done everyone that he has had to do. I didn't like the draft pick at first but after reading up on him? I'm 100% onboard with the pick. When was he last time the Devils had someone this fast? Even the third pick bignac has wheels. Exactly where the nhl is now.

I loved the trade for Bennett. Third rounders don't always pan out and this guy we know can compete in the nhl. He's better then joffeson and anyone else we had on the bottom 6 all he has to do is stay healthy and I can see him putting up 15g 35pts.

He signed everyone he had to. I'm really high on smith pelly when we saw him play his little time here last year I'm super glad he brought him back at a cheap rate also seems he's excited to be back. Merrily is in a make or break year if he blossoms then great if he takes a step back then we expose him in the expansion draft.

The only red downsides I don't like is summer.
Letting schlemko walk. Why didn't we trade him for a ting at the deadline last year? Personally I rather love joy over him anyway.

I didn't like drafting the goalie in the third but o well maybe he turns into a beast.

Not sure I like kinkaid as the backup. I don't want Cory playing more then 65 games his year which means do we trust keith. All three negatives are really just minor not pickings too. Can't find a major hole in his game plan yet.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
then you look at what Lou and holland did during ufa.

Martin 4 years and 10 million?

Holland 6 years for Nelson? 5 for helm? Both will be 38 when their deals are done.

The old timers are having a rough go I am so thankful that Lou is gone you have no idea

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goalie was our 2nd pick in the 4th round so that doesn't bug me. Schlemk I would have liked to keep, maybe Ray anticipated him coming back last year and that's why he wasn't traded, or maybe the offers just weren't there?

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A+ for me because it surpassed any expectations I had.

Getting Hall is mostly what does it for me. We finally have a star play that can attract both fans and other skill players to come to NJ. Could be the start of something great.

I liked the draft as well. Shero isn't kidding when he says he wants this team to be fast and attacking. This is the NHL we live in today and finally we're building a team for it.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall is an instant winner....

Now Hall aside:

1. Resigning DSP & Merrill was huge. Merrill for the obvious but DSP will be someone good for us as he showed it last season.

2. Thought we could've kept Schlemko, a bit perplexed we lost him without a convincing replacement for me.

3. No high priced Dman was acquired which is a good thing but thought we could've done a bit more for Larsson's replacement. IF anything perhaps Santini, my fav, is ready to come along. Other than that, Severson needs to puck out.

4. Trading our 3rd is still a mystery for me for Bennett.... needs to see what exactly is coming our way.

5. Misc signings that don't really lift my ass off the chair. Cheap and inexpensive but nothing to say, great for me....

I'm sure the Hall trade had a butterfly effect to everything else but the other deals or no deals were 50/50 to me....

Getting Hall is the KO punch we've deserved for such a long time..

***Edit***

1. I forgot the draft side, great draft, perhaps maybe a bit more aggressive for dmen early ONLY IF they knew they could move Adam for Hall at that time....

2. Really like the McCleod pick

3. baffled about the goalie pick early....

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
DSP contract is a bargain I thought. Lovejoy a bit higher than I would have liked, but mild compared to the deals we saw on July 1.
Schlemko didn't even have a job until the Devils signed him late last year. A four year deal at 2.1 is very good for him. I am ok with giving the younger guys a chance to prove themselves. He was serviceable, but in no way a player that is irreplaceable.

The key to Bennett is staying healthy.

We saw speed and forwards in the draft.

Shero continues to make good moves. I never thought this team would be able to land Hall and didnt even know he was available. I bet you a lot of teams are kicking themselves after seeing that deal

My grade is an A.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with what's been said so far and I'll say an A for sure now that Palmieri is locked up for 5 years at 4.65 per

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A, potential for an A+. The only thing holding that back is that I don't immediately see a replacement for Larsson but that could change if Severson or Merrill decide to take that next step.

No overpays, no real long term dead weight (exception being Zajac), still plenty of money if we wanted to make a deal and bring in a pricey player. Hall, Henrique and Palmieri all locked up for a few years. Solid looking lineup with very real potential for improvement.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Palm for five years
Henrique has five left
Hall has four left
Cory turning 31

You can bet this teams window just opened.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A, potential for an A+. The only thing holding that back is that I don't immediately see a replacement for Larsson but that could change if Severson or Merrill decide to take that next step.

No overpays, no real long term dead weight (exception being Zajac), still plenty of money if we wanted to make a deal and bring in a pricey player. Hall, Henrique and Palmieri all locked up for a few years. Solid looking lineup with very real potential for improvement.
No fan of Merrill but at least he was relatively cheap. Both he and Severson took a step back last year but at least Seversons step back was from a high level. Merrill has yet to show me anything worth keeping at the NHL level. The Lovejoy signing is good but one of the young D will really have to step up for us to be successful this season

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No fan of Merrill but at least he was relatively cheap. Both he and Severson took a step back last year but at least Seversons step back was from a high level. Merrill has yet to show me anything worth keeping at the NHL level. The Lovejoy signing is good but one of the young D will really have to step up for us to be successful this season

I thought Merrill looked like a top 4 guy 2 seasons ago. Last year he battled injuries and I doubt if he was ever healthy. Hopefully he comes back strong after shoulder surgery this off season. If not we may have to start shopping for D and our depth there just got a lot shallower.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Merrill look terrific a couple seasons ago.... he made Adam, then, look disposable...

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I recall at one point, Merrill's future looked better than Larsson's. Those were during the DeBoer days.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall at one point, Merrill's future looked better than Larsson's. Those were during the DeBoer days.
That's because DeBoer had a hard on for Larsson.

And with all due respect I'm going to disagree with Merrill looking like a top 4 guy 2 years ago. He wasn't terrible (which he was last year) but not better than average. He's still young and I hope things click for him but I really haven't seen much from him to date. The combo of mental mistakes, getting regularly out-muscled and often lack of hustle cause me to keep a cloud of doubt over him until he proves himself.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yep, definitely realize DeBoer almost ruined Larsson. It was Stevens who believed in him at the time and after Pete was fired.

Agree on Merrill. Most of his problems are mental. Lets hope he turns it around because now with Larsson gone, this is his chance.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall is an instant winner....

Now Hall aside:

1. Resigning DSP & Merrill was huge. Merrill for the obvious but DSP will be someone good for us as he showed it last season.

2. Thought we could've kept Schlemko, a bit perplexed we lost him without a convincing replacement for me.

3. No high priced Dman was acquired which is a good thing but thought we could've done a bit more for Larsson's replacement. IF anything perhaps Santini, my fav, is ready to come along. Other than that, Severson needs to puck out.

4. Trading our 3rd is still a mystery for me for Bennett.... needs to see what exactly is coming our way.

5. Misc signings that don't really lift my ass off the chair. Cheap and inexpensive but nothing to say, great for me....

I'm sure the Hall trade had a butterfly effect to everything else but the other deals or no deals were 50/50 to me....

Getting Hall is the KO punch we've deserved for such a long time..

***Edit***

1. I forgot the draft side, great draft, perhaps maybe a bit more aggressive for dmen early ONLY IF they knew they could move Adam for Hall at that time....

2. Really like the McCleod pick

3. baffled about the goalie pick early....
add the Bastain pick and the deal they pulled off on the palmieri extension at 4.6 a year. A+ easy

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah i even like the recent d man they signed from colorado hes busted so far but still he was picked #10 a few years ago so the talent is there. young and has high upside