• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GPS watch w/ HRM

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

is this stuff legal

Probably. Well, think about it. Nikes are for sale in China, too...and they're made there. So, how much do you think Nike has their shit marked in China? A lot less. So, even if you add shipping things like those new shoes are still way cheaper to buy at China prices.

You know firms like Nike, Apple, etc make everything in Chinese factories and sweatshops. Notice that ad you linked had "188,826 pairs available." You might as well buy it from China at the prices charged over there.

The smart watches we were talking about are different, though. I think they're the same components assembled and sold under a different name. So, they might not be illegal but maybe a bit unethical.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dunno. They all have the exact same operating system. (except maybe the Apple crap) That 27 dollar one I had was just like the 60 dollar one I have now...except the new one has a HRM and a nicer case and metal band.

I'd suggest that one is just like the rest of em? The price seems kind of expensive for a knock-off.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
y
After this much time how do you like it?

Thanks for asking! I've been rowing while wearing it a couple dozen times now....and wear it every day all day except in bed or while playing tennis.

It has met all expectations to be the same as the $300 Samsung Gear. I've been in the pool with it. I've banged it on stuff pretty hard by accident without a problem or scratch. The heartbeat indicator is accurate if you wear it with the sensor on the inside of your wrist. The phone speaker is a little too quiet but people say the mic sounds good. By far the most convenient thing is glancing down to see what a new text says. I hated opening the phone every time one came in. Of course, you have to open the phone if you want to send one back. The battery lasts almost a week if not using it much and it charges in just an hour or two.
I don't use the pedometer or any of that stupid shit.

It's been worth 40 bucks for its usefulness. Probably not $300.

So, after ALL that, I have my first problem with it this week. The thing has been wet with saltwater at least 40 times while rowing or at the beach or cleaning my aquarium. No problems until yesterday the pin broke on the stainless band. I found it on the floor and it was completely rusted to shit...not just the spring inside either.
The entire watch is stainless steel and holding up great. Not even any metal discoloration. But the that little spring-fed pin that goes in the adjustable part of the band was shit. There's always a weak link and that's it.

I'll stop by a jeweler tomorrow and get a new pin for a buck or a new band if they don't have one that fits.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
y

Thanks for asking! I've been rowing while wearing it a couple dozen times now....and wear it every day all day except in bed or while playing tennis.

It has met all expectations to be the same as the $300 Samsung Gear. I've been in the pool with it. I've banged it on stuff pretty hard by accident without a problem or scratch. The heartbeat indicator is accurate if you wear it with the sensor on the inside of your wrist. The phone speaker is a little too quiet but people say the mic sounds good. By far the most convenient thing is glancing down to see what a new text says. I hated opening the phone every time one came in. Of course, you have to open the phone if you want to send one back. The battery lasts almost a week if not using it much and it charges in just an hour or two.

So, after ALL that, I have my first problem with it this week. The thing has been wet with saltwater at least 40 times while rowing or at the beach or cleaning my aquarium. No problems until yesterday the pin broke on the stainless band. I found it on the floor and it was completely rusted to shit...not just the spring inside either.
The entire watch is stainless steel and holding up great. Not even any metal discoloration. But the that little spring-fed pin that goes in the adjustable part of the band was shit. There's always a weak link and that's it.

I'll stop by a jeweler tomorrow and get a new pin for a buck or a new band if they don't have one that fits.
I think I'm going to get a leather banded one pretty soon. I was hoping the HRM would be accurate (probably the biggest determining factor here). Hopefully the bands are easy to switch out too because I'm not too confident in whether the one that comes with it will last long.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm going to get a leather banded one pretty soon. I was hoping the HRM would be accurate (probably the biggest determining factor here). Hopefully the bands are easy to switch out too because I'm not too confident in whether the one that comes with it will last long.
chest straps are best for HR

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
chest straps are best for HR

They are but the little sensor works well enough if you turn it to the inside of your wrist. It's reliable. The bpm alarm doesn't work too well though because the variability makes it go off too often if you're doing something strenuous.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are but the little sensor works well enough if you turn it to the inside of your wrist. It's reliable. The bpm alarm doesn't work too well though because the variability makes it go off too often if you're doing something strenuous.
absolutely, depends on whether u want it for all day use, or just during excercise

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
y

Are there software updates? I feel like the $50 option might be better to get once every year or two because of the giant leaps in technology. You don't want to be stuck with an outdated $400 smart watch after a year or so.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there software updates? I feel like the $50 option might be better to get once every year or two because of the giant leaps in technology. You don't want to be stuck with an outdated $400 smart watch after a year or so.

I dunno? lol It's just a Bluetooth device and doesn't really have any memory or brains besides its OS. I've never plugged it into my computer or phone for any kind of update.

The fact that I only paid < 50 bucks is the reason it still works fine. Had I spend > $300, I would have lost it or accidentally smashed it long ago. That's the way shit works with electronics and sun glasses.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought this bad boy. There has to be like 20+ different versions of this throughout the website but this seemed to be the cheapest and I doubt there are any differences. I was hoping to find one with 4.1 bluetooth but there weren't many options with 4.1 with a decent price.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought this bad boy. There has to be like 20+ different versions of this throughout the website but this seemed to be the cheapest and I doubt there are any differences. I was hoping to find one with 4.1 bluetooth but there weren't many options with 4.1 with a decent price.

Nice! They get a little slimmer every 6 months or so. It has all the utility you'd possibly want already...but the package keeps getting better.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice! They get a little slimmer every 6 months or so. It has all the utility you'd possibly want already...but the package keeps getting better.
I just hope I don't need to charge this fucker every night or I might not wear it every day.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The heart rate monitor on this kind of sucks because you have to go in and open up the app and run a scan every time to use it rather than just reading my heart rate on the fly. The camera remote might be the coolest thing on here. I can see what my camera sees on my watch bezel and I can snap a picture by pressing a button on the watch.