• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Google overhauling YouTube subscription options

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And completely scrapping Google Music for youtube music.

I’m not into it. Been subscribed to google music either since it started or since I entered the smartphone era (can’t remember, but it was whichever came first). So I’ve always seen youtube red/music as a nice perk of sticking with the music subscription. While I like ad free YouTube, I’m not paying $10/month for it. Apple Music here I come.

Here's how YouTube Music is reinventing itself

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why they're shafting people who paid for Google Play Music and grandfathering in YouTube Red subscribers in at $9.99. in the past subscribers of either would get the other for free but now Google Play Music subscribers need to pay $13 to get all of the perks they were used to instead of $10. I personally just switched to Spotify yesterday and canceled my subscription with Google. I would've kept Google Play Music if it stayed at $10/month too.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just uploaded all the shit I stole from Napster back in the day to Google music.. what does paying for it get you? Just ad free?

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just uploaded all the shit I stole from Napster back in the day to Google music.. what does paying for it get you? Just ad free?

Ad free, and access to pretty much everything they have. If you want an album, instead of buying it you just add it to your library. Kind of like Napster back in the day, except there’s a monthly fee, and instead of peer sharing it’s whatever service you’re using (apple, Spotify, google, or amazon) providing it.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a library of everything I own/Stole uploaded to Play music, I don't purchase that much music to make it worth my while. If I get bored of my music I just listen to Motorhead Radio, or whatever.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For $10/month you get to treat that services library as if it was your own. That is, playlists made your way, not some premade list with a few skips like the free services. Most allow offline listening of some sort so you can store music on your devices and not have to have internet to use them. You get exposure to new music and bands you don't know exist if you want it and get access to the latest of any artist without having to go find it.

It isn't for everyone, but dose work for those that don't otherwise already have a fuck ton of their own library.

I can't speak for every service, but the family plan on spotify just isn't that bad. 5 different people all have their own access and accounts for $15/month. Much much easier to justify the expense when several family members all have different tastes and needs.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For $10/month you get to treat that services library as if it was your own. That is, playlists made your way, not some premade list with a few skips like the free services. Most allow offline listening of some sort so you can store music on your devices and not have to have internet to use them. You get exposure to new music and bands you don't know exist if you want it and get access to the latest of any artist without having to go find it.

It isn't for everyone, but dose work for those that don't otherwise already have a fuck ton of their own library.

I can't speak for every service, but the family plan on spotify just isn't that bad. 5 different people all have their own access and accounts for $15/month. Much much easier to justify the expense when several family members all have different tastes and needs.
100% this. I have a huge personal library and still think it’s worth it. Once it was clear buying physical copies of music wasn’t gonna be a thing in the near future, the options became pay for digital copies, go the shady download route and accept the quality will be hit or miss, or pay $10 a month, not deal with any of the inconvenience of the first two options, and have just about anything you’ll ever want at your fingertips. I’ll take option 3 all day.

I do miss going to the record store, or even just Fred Meyer, and flipping through everything, I do not miss ripping CDs to my hard drive.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have like 10K songs on the cloud via Google Music manager uploaded to Google Play.

Like I said I don't really like much new music. So I just listen to my own shit, or one of the Play Music stations.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have like 10K songs on the cloud via Google Music manager uploaded to Google Play.

Like I said I don't really like much new music. So I just listen to my own shit, or one of the Play Music stations.
You just don't like mainstream music. There is a lot of great new stuff out there if you take the time to find it. If you're happy with what you have then I guess don't buy the service. Most of these streaming services will let you do a 3 month trial period if you ever get curious though.