• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good/great forgotten players of yesteryear

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to have a thread of players that were good or even great, but kind of have been forgotten due to the time passage. I am not necessarily talking about "underrated" players who aren't appreciated enough or in the HOF or something. I am asking more so for players who were good but not well known. When you think of underrated players, you might think of Bobby Grich or Mike Mussina. The fact that many people regard the two as underrated might indicate that they are still well known despite the perception that they aren't valued high enough.

I am also not asking for great players either. For example, one might say that Lou Gehrig isn't talked about a lot today and therefore is "forgotten," but that's not the application of the word that I am using.

Players who belong in this thread are more so good or very good or maybe even great, but aren't well known to casual or even invested fans.

You can write a little about the player. I'll go first.

Larry Doyle was a second baseman who played for the Giants and Cubs from 1907-1920. He was the NL MVP in 1912 and NL MVP in 1915. He had a career slash line of .290/.357/.408, good for a 126 wRC+. He was the roommate of Christy Mathewson for a number of years in the bigs, and was the team captain and top everyday star on three consecutive pennant winners (1911–13) with the New York Giants.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Freehan was one helluva catcher.

Made 11 All Star teams in 12 seasons from 64-75. Won 5 straight Gold Gloves. Caught baseballs last 30 game winner, Denny McLain. All 7 games of the 68 Series. And Mickey Lolich, who has more Ks than any pitcher not named Roger Clemens, who isn't in the HOF.

.262 .340 with 200 career homers. Retired at ninth Alltime in games caught.

Real close to Top Ten all time at his position. (12, safely imo.)

Born and raised in Detroit. He played college ball at Michigan. Baseball and football. Setting the mark for highest BA in BIG history. (He retired from MLB with the highest fielding percentage in history for a catcher. And was third in homers at his position all time.). After his career he became HC at Michigan.

His grandson, Blaise Salter, played at MSU. And hit the shit outta the ball in low A this summer. Also Tigers property.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Judge isn't the only player with the last name "Judge" to be an effective baseball player. Joe Judge was a 1B that played from 1915-1934, spending 18 seasons with the Senators and spent his last two seasons with the Red Sox and Dodgers. He was a career .298/.378/.420 (116 OPS+) hitter in 9178 PA and 46.9 WAR. Not a home run hitter like Aaron is, but still a very solid player. Here's his Wiki because I don't feel like typing much else.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Bell
Doug Decinces
Brett Butler
Brian Giles

COme to mind

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Freehan was one helluva catcher.

Made 11 All Star teams in 12 seasons from 64-75. Won 5 straight Gold Gloves. Caught baseballs last 30 game winner, Denny McLain. All 7 games of the 68 Series. And Mickey Lolich, who has more Ks than any pitcher not named Roger Clemens, who isn't in the HOF.

.262 .340 with 200 career homers. Retired at ninth Alltime in games caught.

Real close to Top Ten all time at his position. (12, safely imo.)

Born and raised in Detroit. He played college ball at Michigan. Baseball and football. Setting the mark for highest BA in BIG history. (He retired from MLB with the highest fielding percentage in history for a catcher. And was third in homers at his position all time.). After his career he became HC at Michigan.

His grandson, Blaise Salter, played at MSU. And hit the shit outta the ball in low A this summer. Also Tigers property.
Yeah, I'd heard of Bill Freehan of course and knew he is regarded as a top 15 catcher, but I suppose he could be considered forgotten as I bet ~half of this board hasn't heard of him (or half of any population of people who like baseball enough to post about it on a message board). I'm not nitpicking; I honestly don't give a fuck, but I'm not sure that I personally would include him in this thread, because he is regarded as a borderline top 10 player at the catching position. Just me.

Mickey Lolich, however, I had never heard of- that's a great one. Looking at his Wiki page, I honestly have no clue how I've missed him considering how good a pitcher he was. This admission of mine is probably sacrilegious to a Tigers' fan, as he's probably one of their better SP of all time, off the top of my head.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd heard of Bill Freehan of course and knew he is regarded as a top 15 catcher, but I suppose he could be considered forgotten as I bet ~half of this board hasn't heard of him (or half of any population of people who like baseball enough to post about it on a message board). I'm not nitpicking; I honestly don't give a fuck, but I'm not sure that I personally would include him in this thread, because he is regarded as a borderline top 10 player at the catching position. Just me.

Mickey Lolich, however, I had never heard of- that's a great one. Looking at his Wiki page, I honestly have no clue how I've missed him considering how good a pitcher he was. This admission of mine is probably sacrilegious to a Tigers' fan, as he's probably one of their better SP of all time, off the top of my head.
You'd never heard of Mickey Lolich?

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is I guess. People Omar hasnt heard of is a tough one to gauge.

Steve Garvey
Elston Howard
Dave Concepción

Are you aware of those dudes?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd never heard of Mickey Lolich?

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is I guess. People Omar hasnt heard of is a tough one to gauge.

Steve Garvey
Elston Howard
Dave Concepción

Are you aware of those dudes?
I wasn't critiquing. I just thought that Freehan might be a little too well known to most people. Maybe he's not as well known as I think, I don't know. But you can post whatever player you'd like of course.

Yes to Garvey and Concepcion. Elston Howard- Yankee catcher? I've definitely heard his name, but not positive on identifying him correctly. For some reason I want to say that he was black and a good power hitter too.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes to Garvey and Concepcion. Elston Howard- Yankee catcher? I've definitely heard his name, but not positive on identifying him correctly. For some reason I want to say that he was black and a good power hitter too.
In other news, Omar is a genius

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't critiquing. I just thought that Freehan might be a little too well known to most people. Maybe he's not as well known as I think, I don't know. But you can post whatever player you'd like of course.

Yep, that's Elston.

Frank Tanana
Luis Tiant
Jim Kaat

How about those three?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that's Elston.

Frank Tanana
Luis Tiant
Jim Kaat

How about those three?
I've "heard" all three names as baseball players. For example, if you asked me on the street who Frank Tanana was, I'd say he was a baseball player, but that's all I could name. (Which I why I was so surprised by Mickey Lolich, considering I'd never even "heard" the name.)

Kaat was a lefty who pitched as a starter for a million years. Even briefly played for my Phillies IIRC.

Luis Tiant- Indians' 2B with decent power (for a second baseman)?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've "heard" all three names as baseball players. For example, if you asked me on the street who Frank Tanana was, I'd say he was a baseball player, but that's all I could name. (Which I why I was so surprised by Mickey Lolich, considering I'd never even "heard" the name.)

Kaat was a lefty who pitched as a starter for a million years. Even briefly played for my Phillies IIRC.

Damn you Tony Oliva (technically a right fielder) for confusing my shit

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Luis Tiant a 2nd baseman? Not even close

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luis Tiant a 2nd baseman? Not even close
He was a second baseman on his high school team. That's clearly what I was referncing

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about George Hendrick. No hall of famer by any means but a good player. Started in the American League with Oakland and Cleveland and was well known and respected as the power hitter in the middle of the Cardinals lineup that was loaded with speed in the early 80's. As a Phillies fan, he was the guy you did not want to see come to the plate with runners on base.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Watson was a first baseman and left fielder who played most of his career with the Astros. He wasn't a remarkably great player, but he was a very good hitter for a long time. He finished with 184 home runs and a 128 wRC+.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about George Hendrick. No hall of famer by any means but a good player. Started in the American League with Oakland and Cleveland and was well known and respected as the power hitter in the middle of the Cardinals lineup that was loaded with speed in the early 80's. As a Phillies fan, he was the guy you did not want to see come to the plate with runners on base.
That's a good one. I'd never heard of him. Wasn't very good at walking or just getting on base in general, but pretty good pop over a long career.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Watson was a first baseman and left fielder who played most of his career with the Astros. He wasn't a remarkably great player, but he was a very good hitter for a long time. He finished with 184 home runs and a 128 wRC+.
He also scored baseball's millionth run. (which would be useful at one of those bars where they do the trivia contests)

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good one. I'd never heard of him. Wasn't very good at walking or just getting on base in general, but pretty good pop over a long career.
50 years from now, he'll be known as the right handed Nick Williams.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also scored baseball's millionth run. (which would be useful at one of those bars where they do the trivia contests)
Actually, that was proven false. (I wouldn't want you having to pay some asshole's tab for having misinformation)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All pitchers.

All bigtime strikeout guys in their prime.

Tiants windup was just as fun as Hideo Nomos.