• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT 7/21 Cain vs. Hamels

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not on paper. No. However, ask Cubs fans how many World Series championship-caliber rosters that they have had over the last century.

I think you're saying here the Cubs HAVE had a few good rosters but still can't get the ring? Then we agree, we're going to need a lot of luck if we can't improve the roster. The way it was supposed to go, Belt was supposed to be the 'pickup', the extra bat (like Huff or Burrell in 2010) that got us there.

We do have enough to maybe win the division, and probably a wild card at least. And then the old crap shoot. But it will be nice when we can truly get players we need.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then unless we get really lucky 2010 style (Huff, Burrell) we don't win it all again until Zito off the books.

Dude, cmon. Why the FUD these days? 4-2 roadie, team in first place, one of the best GMs in the game, and you've doomed us to no WS wins for the next two years.

The playoffs are a crap shoot; let's just get there with our pitching and see.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're saying here the Cubs HAVE had a few good rosters but still can't get the ring? Then we agree, we're going to need a lot of luck if we can't improve the roster. The way it was supposed to go, Belt was supposed to be the 'pickup', the extra bat (like Huff or Burrell in 2010) that got us there.

We do have enough to maybe win the division, and probably a wild card at least. And then the old crap shoot. But it will be nice when we can truly get players we need.

The Cubs have had a fair amount of great rosters and favored teams over the last century. Then you deal with the health crap shoot or the regression/progression of certain players. I'm saying all you can ask of a front office is to work within a budget that makes sense. To me, the Giants' budget makes sense for the continued success of the franchise.

When budgets get astronomical, we have seen that teams don't always field the best players. Is that because the front office did a poor job with the money? Possibly. It could also be that certain names and numbers have given a false sense of security over analysis of those numbers and scouting.

Is it fun to see your favorite team add great players? Absolutely. When it made sense for both the business and the play on the field (The Barries), this organization has opened its wallet. The most recent one obviously back-fired, but other marketing opportunities and great development within the org saved things. This is definitely a SSS when talking about a century of baseball that has spanned various forms of financial volatility and ownership changes, but as a fan, I am happy with a front office that builds the roster to make the playoffs, tweaks for a WS run without selling the farm, takes some occasional risks for a back-to-back championship attempt and plans to future financial success. I think the Giants do that, and luckily, it looks like the Warriors and Niners are starting that tradition, too.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, cmon. Why the FUD these days? 4-2 roadie, team in first place, one of the best GMs in the game, and you've doomed us to no WS wins for the next two years.

The playoffs are a crap shoot; let's just get there with our pitching and see.

Guilty as charged, feeling a little FUD-y. I guess what you do during the GDTs I do when the games are over! :D

You bring up a good point, we have a weak division that we can win. Once in the playoffs, with our pitching, we either get some timely luck (Cody Ross, Renteria, etc) with the bats or we don't. Same as the other teams.