• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garza To Rangers

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garza was dealt to the Rangers today for 3B Mike Olt, P's Justin Grimm and C.J. Edwards, and a player to be named later. I was hoping for at least one hot AAA pitching prospect but I'm sure this was the best we could do. Olt's value has taken a small hit, Grimm has an era over 6.00 in 17 major league starts this year, and Edwards, even though he blistering hot in A ball, was a 48th round draft pick a few years ago.

Bottom line - I knew Garza would be dealt by Theo. At least Garza rehabilitated some value in the trade market after last year's injury before the trading deadline crushed last year's potential deals. He's a 2 month regular season rental with real value to the Rangers if they make the playoffs which they probably will due to the second wild card team this year.

Let's see who the ptbnl is!

SirGladiator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I actually just read that we're getting TWO Players to be named Later, and one of them is a really good pitcher with medical questions that we're going to evaluate before deciding whether to take him or not. I'm hearing that Olt is batting over 400 since having his eye problems fixed, that Edwards is being talked about as the next Pedro Martinez, and while Grimm's numbers are terrible, he's also quite young, and he pitched for Texas, that's a rough place to pitch, especially in the July heat (which is when he put up his worst numbers) . Plus the Players to be named Later, which could turn out to be huge as well. Looks like a huge haul for a guy we could, theoretically, re-sign ourselves in a few months (although you'd expect one of the LA teams to throw insane money at him, but you never know) . An incredible deal by Theo, he is truly the master of trading!

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two ptbnl is better than one! Hopefully, Wrigley Field and the change of scenery will do wonders for our new acquisitions.

SirGladiator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. Our new Minor League pitcher guy is just all kinds of awesome, the major league guy hopefully will benefit from being on a new team, and of course Olt has been raking since they took care of his eye problem, a year ago this might've been a Garza for Olt straight up deal, because Olt looked like the next big thing. Now we've got FOUR extra players to go along with him, all because of a problem Olt had that's been taken care of. I'd say it all worked out REALLY well for us in the end :) . Hopefully Olt will be up with the big league squad by the end of the season, he's probably ready right now. Junior Lake is obviously ready, 4-5 tonight with 3 ribbies, this guy is a hitting machine. Whatever they're doing down there in AAA now seems to be working, give Olt a little time there and turn him loose!

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually just read that we're getting TWO Players to be named Later, and one of them is a really good pitcher with medical questions that we're going to evaluate before deciding whether to take him or not. I'm hearing that Olt is batting over 400 since having his eye problems fixed, that Edwards is being talked about as the next Pedro Martinez, and while Grimm's numbers are terrible, he's also quite young, and he pitched for Texas, that's a rough place to pitch, especially in the July heat (which is when he put up his worst numbers) . Plus the Players to be named Later, which could turn out to be huge as well. Looks like a huge haul for a guy we could, theoretically, re-sign ourselves in a few months (although you'd expect one of the LA teams to throw insane money at him, but you never know) . An incredible deal by Theo, he is truly the master of trading!

Its all rumors. Some say we get two players if Garza signs and extension with Texas. Others say, if we take Ramirez, thats all we get. So its a list of 4 or 5 top guys at the PTBNL, if they decide to take two, they are lesser prospects on a longer list.

I would consider edwards as the next juan cruz, not Pedro. 6'2 155.

Theo has wanted Olt as much as he wanted Rizzo, been chasing him for years. After these concussions and eye issues, he was able to buy low on a guy they would not give up for Dempster. They had a reporter from Dallas on WGN before the game, said Grimm will pitch in the big leagues, not too good. Olt has issues, but Texas has a kid in A ball that has huge power, so Olt was gonna be expendable anyway since he is blocked by big money at 3B anyway, I think the kid is named Galloway. He will be ready when Beltrans contract expires, or Beltran goes to DH full time. So it was not a big loss to Texas. HE was quiet about CJ, says he didnt get to many A ball games, which was also a knock, so Texas is feeling like they did not give up that much for Garza, so I dont think we should think we got such a great deal.

SirGladiator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think it's going to depend on a number of factors. Obviously we gave up a Superstar, so things will have to break our way for us to 'win' the trade. First, we need Olt to be as good as he seemed to be last year, before he developed the eye problems. That's probably the easiest part to actually happen, if it does we've got a bigtime 3rd baseman for maybe a decade. Next, they're going to have to work with Grimm in Iowa. He's been horrible this year for Texas, but he's a minor leaguer they brought up to the big leagues...in TEXAS of all places, because they had to due to injuries. He wasn't ready, and it showed, so his horrible performance can be excused for now. Give him the AAA seasoning, and see if they can do for him what they did for so many others already, it seems doable. Obviously Edwards is the biggest wild card, because he could be an ace or a total flop, since he's just in Low A ball. He was unbelievably awesome in a hitter's park, super low ERA, struck out something like 122 people in 93 innings, just an incredible performance. But he's SO far from the big leagues, that there's no way of knowing whether he can keep that up. Certainly if he can, he has tremendous potential to be a future Ace. As for the PTBNL situation, yes I think that's right, if we take Ramirez that's all we get, if we don't then we get 2. We'll probably be better off getting Ramirez, if his medicals end up checking out, but that's a big if. So in the end, yes things have to go our way, and we could either win or lose the trade by a pretty huge margin based on how things go. But certainly if all the prospects we got end up doing roughly as well as 'projected', we'll win the trade.

Sportsmen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really love the trade.

Edwards is really a gem and has huge potential. He should probably start off at AA since he really has nothing left to prove at A ball.

I like Olt and am willing to let him be the starter at 3rd for the Cubs. I think he will be much better then Valbuena/Ransom.

Grimm could turn into a solid starter even thought he is having a awful year.

2 potential PTBNL, is even better. 2 more chances to get some solid players.

SirGladiator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this was an amazing deal for us. We got a bigtime 3rd baseman, a guy who got rushed up to the majors by the Rangers due to injuries but has great potential to be in our rotation next year, and another guy who has Superstar potential and could be our ace in a couple years, that plus the PTBNL deal (either we take Ramirez, or two other guys), it's quite the haul!

brian mclaren

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theo and ickets are idiots. wish a bus could run them over.

AlexeiRamirez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow this site is pretty dead...I thought everyone was coming here from ESPN

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best trade of the year. Garza is so overrated.