• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 3: Chicago Blackhawks @ Los Angeles Kings, 5/24 5:00 PM, NBC

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were down 2-0 to St Louis

Puck and others hit it on the nose, but I can add this:

I live in Chicago area and when Hawks were down 2-0 to Blues, I remember all the sports radio hosts in Chicago, as well as all my Hawk fan friends, saying they were not worried. I guarantee you they are worried now.

Also, before game 7 vs Ducks all Hawk fans I knew told me they would much rather play the Kings than the Ducks. I told them they were nuts--why would you ever want to face Quick plus Kings have way more balls than Ducks could possibly have.

It's not over, but this ain't last year. And we are nothing like the Blues (see Kings past two playoff series vs StL).

Last edited by a moderator:

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent been following this thread much I just wanted to add that I thought Justin Williams had a pretty terrible game. His WTF decision led to Toews first goal and he took at least one bad penalty. Nit his best performance

But we won! So all is right with the world!

Bluesince62

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis is nothing. They have never been, and have unjustly been called contenders for the better part of 4 years. They lack a lot of stuff, mainly front line talent. I actually think making the move for Miller weakened that team, it didn't improve them. They bank on career second liners to be first liners - seen their dance too often the last few years.

I'm not speaking for you since you've been civil, but I can post a ton of links from all over the place where Hawks fans (and I'm one too - my second favorite team since the late 1980s. My jerseys are faded they are so old) where they thought this would be a cake walk. I just laughed because the Blues are overrated and Minnesota - Minnesota? - wasn't a real threat either.

The Kings are in their third straight WCF for a reason. As a Hawk poster said (was it you?) - "they're a whole different animal". And that's what the Kings are. They have the scoring St. Louis lacked, they have the physicality Minnesota lacked, and on top of that they have the best goalie in the league.

Last season they weren't jelling well enough by the time Chicago came around, and they didn't have Gaborik. Richards was hurt in Game 1 (his return in game 5 sent it to OT as you recall) and the defense was banged up, but regardless Chicago beat them handily last season. It's a bit of a different team this season, but the attitude is the same - they do not quit, they do not die.

I don't think this is over in 5 games or anything, I think this is going the distance. And whoever comes out of it I believe will be the eventual Cup winner because neither Montreal or NY can withstand LA or Chicago over 7 games - but I think some Hawk fans need to be humbled and I'm very happy the Kings are doing it.

This ain't no cake walk.

Speaking of St Louis.. it looks like they've re-signed Elliott to a 3-year extension and won't try to ink Miller to a deal.

That means St Louis gave up Halak, Stewart, William Carrier, a 2015 first-round pick and a conditional 2016 third-round pick to Buffalo so Miller could play 19 regular season games and 6 games in the playoffs.

Yikes.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say the Kings are humbling the loud mouth fans just yet, we were down 3-1 against Detroit last season.

But I have said it all year, I don't want to play LA. Said it last year too.

One thing that separates LA from other teams is the depth at center. Hawks have Toews at center, and I wouldn't trade him for any other player, but, look at our 2nd line center. Handzus, Krueger? That's pathetic

LA's centers, Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Stoll. That's giving the Hawks a lot of issues, especially the Carter line.

But, I'm not worried yet. Hawks have been there and done that. I still believe we'll win the series. Homer? Probably

Last year, the Kings were banged up... While I think Chicago has considerably more talent I just wanted to see the Kings give them a fight.... Which they are. You might be right, the Blackhawks could win this series, but good to see the Kings make them earn it this year.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Handzus was a great pick up for them last year. But yeah, everyone knows the Hawks greatest weakness is center. They even tried to put Kane there and it didnt work. They have 1 top line center and then 3 3rd to 4th line guys.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of St Louis.. it looks like they've re-signed Elliott to a 3-year extension and won't try to ink Miller to a deal.

Nope, he is going to have a new home in the fall.

Looking at the goalie situations around the league however, there really isn't anywhere he can go. Not a lot of openings, and certainly not for a 33 year old who is looking for one final big payday.

Jake Allan has played well in his NHL stints, and they will platoon again with him and Elliott. I'm a huge opponent of the platoon system, it doesn't work. It creates unnecessary drama, possible confusion and forces some skaters to alter their game depending on who is in net.

This is one of he Blues' many problems that have prevented them from legitimately having a shot at the Cup the last few years. They need a legitimate, number one who will grow with the team, not this revolving door of secondary goaltending. They also need some legitimate first liners, not hoping guys like Steen will score 30 every year (he won't next year - book it), Backes will, etc. Oshie is a superb talent; they need to build around him and get top flight forwards.

Prime example of how this franchise thinks they belong in the Macy's parking lot carrying Dollar Tree currency.

That means St Louis gave up Halak, Stewart, William Carrier, a 2015 first-round pick and a conditional 2016 third-round pick to Buffalo so Miller could play 19 regular season games and 6 games in the playoffs.

Yikes.

Armstrong rolled the dice, I will give the man props for that. Not many GMs would have stuck their neck on the line like he did in an effort to try and bring that Cup home. They have a good team, but not a great team, and he felt he was giving them the best shot at a Cup. Unfortunately it was nothing short of a total disaster for him and the Blues.

That is ton to pay for Ryan Miller, should be interesting to see how this trade haunts them (if it does) down the road.