• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Found a new home defense .223 round - Hornady 60gr. TAP Urban

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read about this stuff online and decided to try it out. Stuff is accurate and packs a punch. I'm at the point now to where if it says Hornady on it, I recommend it. They have it in multiple grains but 60 was about as much as I wanted to go for my 1 in 9 twist barrel. Wasn't all that easy to find cause most places either only sell it to law enforcement or were just flat out of stock , ended up getting it from 1st Stop Firearms for those interested...
1st Stop Firearms

Hornadyle.com - 60 gr. TAP URBAN

0327151846_resized.jpg 0327151845_resized.jpg

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big fan of Hornady. Critical defense are in my Glock

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not much into the self defense rounds for the .223. It's too expensive and I'm not sure it matters that much. If you're hitting someone with a .223, they're going to be hurting lol. Much easier and cheaper to shoot and use ball ammo.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not much into the self defense rounds for the .223. It's too expensive and I'm not sure it matters that much. If you're hitting someone with a .223, they're going to be hurting lol. Much easier and cheaper to shoot and use ball ammo.
My biggest thing with the .223 is it's gonna straight thru them and keep on going, these Hornady one's will mushroom and fragment and are less likely to make it into another room or your neighbors house and pack way more punch on impact and leave a much bigger wound cavity. The standard .223 was never meant to kill, just injure, not a ton different than a .22. Naturally, if hit in the right spot, anything will kill you though.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest thing with the .223 is it's gonna straight thru them and keep on going, these Hornady one's will mushroom and fragment and are less likely to make it into another room or your neighbors house and pack way more punch on impact and leave a much bigger wound cavity. The standard .223 was never meant to kill, just injure, not a ton different than a .22. Naturally, if hit in the right spot, anything will kill you though.

When it comes to your house, FMJ, Soft Point and Hollow Point ammo are going to zip right through the walls.

I'm not really worried about the minor improvement of the HP round for defensive use simply because, as I put it, if you get hit with any rifle round...you're not going to be doing well. It's just not worth the extra money for those rounds IMO.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to your house, FMJ, Soft Point and Hollow Point ammo are going to zip right through the walls.

I'm not really worried about the minor improvement of the HP round for defensive use simply because, as I put it, if you get hit with any rifle round...you're not going to be doing well. It's just not worth the extra money for those rounds IMO.

If you miss, yeah it's going a pretty good ways no matter the round, these are meant to not cause quite the collateral damage if you land your shot though (mushrooms and frags with a couple inches of hitting soft ballistic material). I was pretty surprised at the price for the quality that Hornady provides, it was like $18 per 20rds. Although higher than range ammo, it's not bad for specialty ammo designed specifically for stopping humans. I can certainly understand your thoughts on the matter though, I don't want to get shot with shit lol, my main HD weapon is actually a 20 ga. I'm not interested in them doing shit but putting their dick in the dirt if their in my little slice of heaven.