• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Football Starts Today

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots officially open training camp today and the public is invited. Temps will be in the 80s and the humidity in New England will be brutal, about 80%. Training in this weather will probably benefit the Pats because it will tell right away who's in shape and who isn't.

You can argue all day as what's critically important, but from the BigKen cheap seats, I see five things..............

1. Left Tackle. Solder wasn't the best ever, but he could play the position pretty well. His long arms were his best weapons, allowing him to push opposing players out and around Tom Brady. His lack of immediate foot speed was the reason, most often, that he couldn't deal with a speed rusher. Trent Brown is a massive human being. At 6'8" and 345 lbs, he won't have trouble with a bull rush, he does have adequate foot speed, but not exceptional. Rookie Isiah Wynn has incredible foot speed. a good sized body but short arms.
Don't know who will come out best, just as long as they can keep Brady clean.

2. Cornerback. With Malcolm Butler gone,the #2 CB position is up for grabs. Johnathan Jones, Cyrus Jones, Eric Rowe, Ryan Lewis, JC Jackson, Keion Crossen, Jomal Wiltz and Duke Dawson. Jackson and Dawson are big, fast hitters. Both are 6'1" and around 200 lbs. BB has historically kept 6 CB on the roster because he often plays a pass defense that requires four CB on the field.

3. Running Back. Dion Lewis is a memory and the Patriots drafted Sony Michel. Can he step in and be that first and second down RB who can get 2-8 yards per carry when needed? James White is coming into his first contract year and you know he'll get huge offers elsewhere. Rex Burkhead was really good when healthy but got dinged a couple of times and missed more than a few games. Mike Gillislee never really impressed and disappeared in the middle of 2017. Bolden has never been considered RB, more a ST guy.

4. Wide Receiver. Back in January, WR looked to be a position that was flush with talent and solid players. Here we are on 7/25 and it's a position of Swiss Cheese. Brandin Cooks got traded and got a 6 year $89.5M contract that he signed yesterday. Malcolm Mitchell reportedly another procedure on his right knee this past Monday and BB has dangled him. That pretty much tells us that his tenure in NE is pretty much over. Julian Edelman will be out until Week 5. That leaves the Patriots with Chris Hogan, Riley McCarron, Cody Hollister, Braxton Berrios, Cordarelle Patterson, Devin Lucien, Jordan Matthews, Kenny Britt and Philip Dorsett. Almost wonder if maybe BB shouldn't bring in Dez Bryaqnt or Eric Decker.

5. Ghosts of Super Bowl LII. There are lingering questions about the end of SB LII. Brady was marching the Patriots but the problem was he only 30 seconds, no time outs, instead of 1 minute and 30 seconds and one time out. Still the final Hail Mary almost got hauled in by Gronkowski. If Malcolm Butler had played, would the eagles QB have been the MVP?

There are lot of questions that I'm sure will start to get answered by this time next week.

The heat and humidity are supposed to break Thursday night, If the weather is at least bearable, I'll take a ride down Friday and watch practice live. If you happen to be in the area, I'm the wearing the dark gray Patriots Super Bowl Championship t-shirt and a bright red, white and blue Patriots cap. I'm 6'2" and about 260 lbs. and walk with a cane. I'm not hard to miss. Hope to see at least one you guys there.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots officially open training camp today and the public is invited. Temps will be in the 80s and the humidity in New England will be brutal, about 80%. Training in this weather will probably benefit the Pats because it will tell right away who's in shape and who isn't.

You can argue all day as what's critically important, but from the BigKen cheap seats, I see five things..............

1. Left Tackle. Solder wasn't the best ever, but he could play the position pretty well. His long arms were his best weapons, allowing him to push opposing players out and around Tom Brady. His lack of immediate foot speed was the reason, most often, that he couldn't deal with a speed rusher. Trent Brown is a massive human being. At 6'8" and 345 lbs, he won't have trouble with a bull rush, he does have adequate foot speed, but not exceptional. Rookie Isiah Wynn has incredible foot speed. a good sized body but short arms.
Don't know who will come out best, just as long as they can keep Brady clean.

2. Cornerback. With Malcolm Butler gone,the #2 CB position is up for grabs. Johnathan Jones, Cyrus Jones, Eric Rowe, Ryan Lewis, JC Jackson, Keion Crossen, Jomal Wiltz and Duke Dawson. Jackson and Dawson are big, fast hitters. Both are 6'1" and around 200 lbs. BB has historically kept 6 CB on the roster because he often plays a pass defense that requires four CB on the field.

3. Running Back. Dion Lewis is a memory and the Patriots drafted Sony Michel. Can he step in and be that first and second down RB who can get 2-8 yards per carry when needed? James White is coming into his first contract year and you know he'll get huge offers elsewhere. Rex Burkhead was really good when healthy but got dinged a couple of times and missed more than a few games. Mike Gillislee never really impressed and disappeared in the middle of 2017. Bolden has never been considered RB, more a ST guy.

4. Wide Receiver. Back in January, WR looked to be a position that was flush with talent and solid players. Here we are on 7/25 and it's a position of Swiss Cheese. Brandin Cooks got traded and got a 6 year $89.5M contract that he signed yesterday. Malcolm Mitchell reportedly another procedure on his right knee this past Monday and BB has dangled him. That pretty much tells us that his tenure in NE is pretty much over. Julian Edelman will be out until Week 5. That leaves the Patriots with Chris Hogan, Riley McCarron, Cody Hollister, Braxton Berrios, Cordarelle Patterson, Devin Lucien, Jordan Matthews, Kenny Britt and Philip Dorsett. Almost wonder if maybe BB shouldn't bring in Dez Bryaqnt or Eric Decker.

5. Ghosts of Super Bowl LII. There are lingering questions about the end of SB LII. Brady was marching the Patriots but the problem was he only 30 seconds, no time outs, instead of 1 minute and 30 seconds and one time out. Still the final Hail Mary almost got hauled in by Gronkowski. If Malcolm Butler had played, would the eagles QB have been the MVP?

There are lot of questions that I'm sure will start to get answered by this time next week.

The heat and humidity are supposed to break Thursday night, If the weather is at least bearable, I'll take a ride down Friday and watch practice live. If you happen to be in the area, I'm the wearing the dark gray Patriots Super Bowl Championship t-shirt and a bright red, white and blue Patriots cap. I'm 6'2" and about 260 lbs. and walk with a cane. I'm not hard to miss. Hope to see at least one you guys there.
Good write up Ken and good luck if you get to camp?

I'll try and be brief.

1. Wynn or Brown under Scar will keep TB upright as much as Solder did. I'm not worried.
2. I hope one of the new kids steps up. I'm not comfortable with the others. J. Jones if you held a gun to my head and I had to play one.
3. RB will be like any other year. A RB comes in he's not supposed to do anything yet they always do. I will miss Lewis running around like a jitter bug.
4. They'll be fine. The way NE uses their RBs and TEs they need to be included in these numbers.
5. What could've been.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBC Sports Boston will have a daily show at 6:00 PM that will review the Patriots Training camp.

If you stream you can find it at NBCSportsBoston.com.

Hope that this will be of some use to fans outside New England.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starts Thursday 7/26/2018....sorry about that.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick refused to discuss Malcolm Butler when Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe asked him about why he didn't play in the Super Bowl. Belichuck's response....."It's 2018 and I'm focused on the 2018 season not anything 5 months ago." He started to get irritated. He moved on. Now the media feels that his first press confernece of the 2018 season was a typical, 'kick in the nuts by Belichick', who just won't answer a question, any question.

BB has never been a favorite of the media, but it appears that the media is going to make his life miserable until he starts treating them a little better. And he at least answers simple questions with something that they can use writing their stories or columns.

One reporter said it's like BB pulls down his pants, spreads his cheeks and says, "Talk to the little black hole."

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It’s important for me to have a good season in 2018. I’m going to do everything I can to do that -- do the best that I can for our football team. That’s my job and that’s my responsibility. That’s what I’m going to try to do. Hopefully you can respect that, but maybe not."

Savage