• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fluker Won't Improve the Offensive Line

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Mike Pouncey will.

Jordy Nelson, at this stage in his career, will not improve the receiving corps Besides, with Graham gone and Willson probably gone, we need a TE, not another WR (unless they are seriously considering Terrell Pryor). Ebron and Dickson are probably the best TEs available. Neither is exciting but if they can outleap defenders in the end zone, they will serve a valuable purpose.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there you have it!

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Nelson signed with the Raiders so hes not an option anymore

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft a TE there are some solid ones in the draft.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Jordy Nelson. IMO the Raiders already made a highly confusing move to cut Crabtree in exchange for a washed up major injury prone player who was non-existent with Hundley as QB. Carr/Wilson are light years better, but still.

I'd rather just have Crabtree now that Sherman is gone (obvious locker room issue).

But if Britt goes back to 2016 form (worse in 2017) I don't understand where Pouncey would fit and I don't want to shift Britt again to guard since he performed poorly there. Maybe we shift Ifedi around again and put Fant at right tackle if they like his progression.

Pouncey has been injured off and on through his career... if we're going to take another injury prone player I'd rather just take Mewhort who will probably play cheaper. Pugh I fear will ask for too much.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Jordy Nelson. IMO the Raiders already made a highly confusing move to cut Crabtree in exchange for a washed up major injury prone player who was non-existent with Hundley as QB. Carr/Wilson are light years better, but still.

I'd rather just have Crabtree now that Sherman is gone (obvious locker room issue).

But if Britt goes back to 2016 form (worse in 2017) I don't understand where Pouncey would fit and I don't want to shift Britt again to guard since he performed poorly there. Maybe we shift Ifedi around again and put Fant at right tackle if they like his progression.

Pouncey has been injured off and on through his career... if we're going to take another injury prone player I'd rather just take Mewhort who will probably play cheaper. Pugh I fear will ask for too much.

Solid points about Pouncey. I can't argue. I like Pouncey because he went to Richie Incognito's school of Nasty, Cheating, Dirty, Cheap-Shotting Motherfucker. Seahawks need a guy like that on the OL. All the good OLs have at least one guy like that.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ifedi is exactly that, but we all complain about it.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Mike Pouncey will.

Jordy Nelson, at this stage in his career, will not improve the receiving corps Besides, with Graham gone and Willson probably gone, we need a TE, not another WR (unless they are seriously considering Terrell Pryor). Ebron and Dickson are probably the best TEs available. Neither is exciting but if they can outleap defenders in the end zone, they will serve a valuable purpose.

Good call!

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft a TE there are some solid ones in the draft.

Were gonna have to go D line the way it's looking, but lots of time left in free agency before the draft... We did just pick up a TE Ed Dickson ....

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think you gotta go in with Nick Vannett this year. He was a 3rd round pick and was supposed to be our replacement for Jimmy Graham to begin with. Ed Dickson as of now (until I can understand the incentives that were supposedly included) is an overpaid blocking TE, so whatever... poor man's overpaid Zach Miller.

But Vannett I think has gotta be the answer. We rarely use our TEs to receive so the draft picks (the little we have) need to be spent on DL, secondary, and RB with any remaining on OL.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think you gotta go in with Nick Vannett this year. He was a 3rd round pick and was supposed to be our replacement for Jimmy Graham to begin with. Ed Dickson as of now (until I can understand the incentives that were supposedly included) is an overpaid blocking TE, so whatever... poor man's overpaid Zach Miller.

But Vannett I think has gotta be the answer. We rarely use our TEs to receive so the draft picks (the little we have) need to be spent on DL, secondary, and RB with any remaining on OL.
I am not sure it's an either/or with Vannett & Dickson. I suspect they will both play quite a bit, but bringing in Dickson is a clear sign the position usage is going to be more focused on helping out the run game and not misusing a strictly receiving TE as an inline blocker.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure it's an either/or with Vannett & Dickson. I suspect they will both play quite a bit, but bringing in Dickson is a clear sign the position usage is going to be more focused on helping out the run game and not misusing a strictly receiving TE as an inline blocker.

Things are clearly going to change under a new offensive coordinator, but the Seahawks offense doesn't revolve around a receiving TE, which is why I like the Dickson signing.

In 2017 at least, most of the looks that Jimmy Graham received were either in the flats or on jump balls in the end zone. He really wasn't utilized much as a receiver and early on with the Seahawks they used him too frequently as a blocker. If that's what the Seahawks want from their TE, they're better off just going with a guy like Dickson whose #1 skill set is blocking. Especially given the poor condition of the Seahawks offensive line, Dickson seems to make more sense than a guy like Jimmy Graham.

It's not flashy, but a blocking TE seems to provide our offense with more utility at this point than a receiving TE.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not flashy, but a blocking TE seems to provide our offense with more utility at this point than a receiving TE.
It seems that way. Zach Miller seems to be the comp player when looking at the Dickson signing. Miller didn't have the receiving stats here that he did in Oakland, but the fit seemed to be near ideal for what the team wanted to do on offense. Graham had his moments here, and I definitely don't look at his 3 years as a failure, but it didn't quite become what we hoped or expected. His arrival coincided with a sharp decline of the OL and running game (after 2015), and I think that just clamped down on what we could do with him. Bang for the buck is probably going to be better with Dickson at $4M than Graham at $10M.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp let's hope you are wrong, PV. Seahawks signed Fluker.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp let's hope you are wrong, PV. Seahawks signed Fluker.
And they waited until after Pouncey signed with SD. The timing may only be a coincidence. Who knows? They also extended Britt.

Maybe when the OL puts Wilson in the morgue, Pete will realize that he needs to get serious about an upgrade.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they waited until after Pouncey signed with SD. The timing may only be a coincidence. Who knows? They also extended Britt.

Maybe when the OL puts Wilson in the morgue, Pete will realize that he needs to get serious about an upgrade.

Well we weren't going to do any major upgrades in FA this off season.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Mike Pouncey will.

Again, we are bargain basement hunters. I'm cool with that as long as we get rewards that sacrifice costs.
I am not convinced that Fluker won't help us out at all. I'm all for let's see what he's got.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, we are bargain basement hunters.
It's because this FO, like many other good ones, chooses to build the core via the draft and find role players & plug holes with free agents. They would rather spend the big off-season dollars on keeping their own best players vs throwing it at free agents. The times they have diverted from this approach have been fairly regretful, overall....Matt Flynn, Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, Luke Joeckel. One of the reasons we have been able to keep so many of the players that will be the faces of the 2012-2016 playoff run is in general we didn't try to win the off-season with big splash FA signings. I lost track of the number of times rival fans told us how we were going to have to choose the 1 or 2 players to keep from the LOB....right before extensions for all 3 of them.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's because this FO, like many other good ones, chooses to build the core via the draft and find role players & plug holes with free agents. They would rather spend the big off-season dollars on keeping their own best players vs throwing it at free agents. The times they have diverted from this approach have been fairly regretful, overall....Matt Flynn, Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, Luke Joeckel. One of the reasons we have been able to keep so many of the players that will be the faces of the 2012-2016 playoff run is in general we didn't try to win the off-season with big splash FA signings. I lost track of the number of times rival fans told us how we were going to have to choose the 1 or 2 players to keep from the LOB....right before extensions for all 3 of them.

Honestly Matt Flynn was the only really bad FA signing. Harvin and Graham were due to trade. And while neither panned out as well as we wanted, they weren't exactly complete busts. Joeckel was a one year deal and he wasn't really the problem with the OL. While he certainly wasn't a Pro Bowler, he was arguably our 2nd best OL behind Britt, which isn't saying much.

But ultimately you are right. This team doesn't make big splashes on the FA market. And I can't really argue with that approach. Big FA signings very rarely pan out and they usually put you in cap hell.