• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor: Maybe not the hottest of tickets?

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five days after tickets go on sale....you can still buy some. 99 buck to watch on TV. You can watch it in movie theaters. I hope it bombs. Stupid people will buy pay for this.

Prices start at $3,500 -- plus another $300 or so for buyer fees -- and climb to $10,000 near the ring. There are "platinum" seats that go for as much as $14,995.

If you’re the sort of maniac who’s into spending thousands and thousands of dollars to attend a boxing match between an undefeated, retired boxer and a man who has never before competed in a professional boxing match, good news! There are still hundreds and hundreds of tickets available for the upcoming Mayweather-McGregor tilt.

If you head on over to Ticketmaster, you will find seats available in virtually all sections of the arena. Resale tickets are available for as low as about $1,700 a seat, while unsold tickets start at $3,500 and range into the tens of thousands. The Associated Press has a report about this, where Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe says this is no big deal:

Either way, promoter Leonard Ellerbe isn’t terribly concerned. He says the fight will not only sell out, but break records for the richest gate.

“We’re very excited and very happy with ticket sales so far,” Ellerbe told The Associated Press. “We’re well on our way to smashing our own record which transcended the sport.”

Promoters have their eyes on a couple of records: the $72,198,500 gate record set by Mayweather-Pacquiao in 2015; and the 4.6 million pay-per-view buys for that same fight. This is obviously an enormous spectacle with incredible appeal for boxing fans, MMA fans, and suckers, but there are signs that it may not be attracting fans to Las Vegas the way other mega-fights have. From that Associated Press report:

Another sign that demand may be lacking — hotel prices for the weekend of the fight. There are still plenty of rooms available online in the $300 to $400 range, including several hotels operated by MGM Grand, which owns the T-Mobile Arena.

The pay-per-view price for this fight will be $99.95, and if you were going to bet on one of the Mayweather-Pacquiao viewership records to fall, right now that seems like the safer choice. Or, hey, if you’re in a betting mood, you could head on down to sunny Las Vegas, and spend $7,000 on a couple tickets, another thousand bucks on buyer fees, $500 on a hotel room, and watch the farce in person! There’s still time!

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People may need to realize that boxing isn't all that popular and $3,500 a ticket is a bit much for a product not many have been interested in for decades.

I don't know why they did the promotional world tour so early. I would have done one or two events when they did it, and then one event 2 weeks or 1 week before the fight. No joke, I woke up today and forgot this fight was even happening. Then I realized it was almost August and that meant the fight was in the near future.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a couple hundred tickets left where the cheapest seat in a 25,000 person stadium was 500 bucks. Average ticket around 8 grand.