• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

film on RG3 vs eagles

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
skinsdad, how did R3 have a strong game? He just threw the ball deep to JAackson b/c the Eagles were stupid enough not to give safety help. He is just an athlete not a QB. Don't get me wrong Athletic QB's can succeed in the NFL but they don't last long. The only reason why RG3 will be given another chance next season will be b/c of all the draft picks we gave up for him. The guy is just not a pocket passer. Shanny knew it and now Grudnen knows it.

Lets just see if there is a FAIR QB competition in training camp next year between RG3 and Cousins. McCoy is just a veteran backup.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooley did the Sports Fix today with Sheehan and broke down Griffin's game against Philly. It is worth a listen. Essentially what he said is Griffin was good in the play action portion of the game but not in the dropback part of the game. If you have time it is worth a listen. They also both picked their 10 players they would get rid of and 10 players they would keep.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any mention on whether they would trade or keep Garçon?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
skinsdad, how did R3 have a strong game? He just threw the ball deep to JAackson b/c the Eagles were stupid enough not to give safety help. He is just an athlete not a QB. Don't get me wrong Athletic QB's can succeed in the NFL but they don't last long. The only reason why RG3 will be given another chance next season will be b/c of all the draft picks we gave up for him. The guy is just not a pocket passer. Shanny knew it and now Grudnen knows it.

Lets just see if there is a FAIR QB competition in training camp next year between RG3 and Cousins. McCoy is just a veteran backup.

dean, ,of course he had a good game , perhaps strong was too much .

but if you look at the film clips which you either didnt or couldnt understand you would have seen him make strides ,in that game , as a pocket passer

now does that mean its the end all or be all ? No but your black and white outlook wont allow you to understand the concept that we are talking about one game not a season .

if he does well in the next game then that only bodes well for the future if he progresses

of course there should be an open competition at qb . RG3 the last 2 seasons hasnt earned the right to be named starter unopposed .

the reason he isnt a pocket passer at this point is all mental , knowing the playbook and what steps to take during drop backs , reading defenses to some extent , and trusting the concepts of the offense and hitting what he sees as far as open wr's , backs or te's

i know i am in the minority but i believe gruden has the full authority to play who he feels is right for the team and it has so far been demonstrated but after the season we should know more about that because that isnt written in stone . i could be very wrong here

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any mention on whether they would trade or keep Garçon?

we should keep garcon as long as there isnt a conflict in the locker room with him . why weaken a position of strength

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dean, ,of course he had a good game , perhaps strong was too much .

but if you look at the film clips which you either didnt or couldnt understand you would have seen him make strides ,in that game , as a pocket passer

now does that mean its the end all or be all ? No but your black and white outlook wont allow you to understand the concept that we are talking about one game not a season .

if he does well in the next game then that only bodes well for the future if he progresses

of course there should be an open competition at qb . RG3 the last 2 seasons hasnt earned the right to be named starter unopposed .

the reason he isnt a pocket passer at this point is all mental , knowing the playbook and what steps to take during drop backs , reading defenses to some extent , and trusting the concepts of the offense and hitting what he sees as far as open wr's , backs or te's

i know i am in the minority but i believe gruden has the full authority to play who he feels is right for the team and it has so far been demonstrated but after the season we should know more about that because that isnt written in stone . i could be very wrong here

Cooley refutes most of what you are saying. As I said earlier it is worth the listen. He doesn't tear Griffin up but I have to agree, what I saw was a guy who in straight drop back is not very good. When they ran play action he had a lot more time which is what Robert needs to be effective. I think it is DGF talked about building a line like that for Griffin.

Cooley feels that Griffin reads defenses just fine when he can stand back there without pressure. When he gets pressure all of his mechanics etc. go to heck in a hand basket.

I know I use Cooley as a reference point a lot and it probably seems that I agree with everything he says but that isn't true. He and I don't exactly agree on Kerrigan and a couple of other players. No doubt he knows a lot more than all of us though.

The more I watch Griffin my thoughts are that he is not a bust as in can't play but he is a bust in the sense that way too much was traded for him. I think he can play some but will be at best an average QB. He is only 24 so who knows how much he can improve. But he might be better off if went someone else, there is too much of a circus with him here.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you skinsdad. Appreciate it Sportster. Been a lot of chatter about trading Garçon lately. If you are trying to develop two young qb's who have both had their share of struggles, taking away a guy like Garçon would be foolish. Jackson can't be counted on for 16, and Roberts play has really tailed off of late.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should keep garcon as long as there isnt a conflict in the locker room with him . why weaken a position of strength

Skinsdad, I saw in your previous mock off-season plan where you were all for trading Garçon. What made you change your mind?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skinsdad, I saw in your previous mock off-season plan where you were all for trading Garçon. What made you change your mind?

i thought garcon was causing issues in the locker room but it turns out he wasnt

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooley refutes most of what you are saying. As I said earlier it is worth the listen. He doesn't tear Griffin up but I have to agree, what I saw was a guy who in straight drop back is not very good. When they ran play action he had a lot more time which is what Robert needs to be effective. I think it is DGF talked about building a line like that for Griffin.

Cooley feels that Griffin reads defenses just fine when he can stand back there without pressure. When he gets pressure all of his mechanics etc. go to heck in a hand basket.

I know I use Cooley as a reference point a lot and it probably seems that I agree with everything he says but that isn't true. He and I don't exactly agree on Kerrigan and a couple of other players. No doubt he knows a lot more than all of us though.

The more I watch Griffin my thoughts are that he is not a bust as in can't play but he is a bust in the sense that way too much was traded for him. I think he can play some but will be at best an average QB. He is only 24 so who knows how much he can improve. But he might be better off if went someone else, there is too much of a circus with him here.

the pics i posted speak for themselves . now cooley would have been right in the previous games but Rg3's last game was much better

he still has issues sportster for sure and cooley is not wrong there but if he is focusing on the last game i would say he is mostly wrong . sure the ghosts of the past showed up like the INT but overall that wasnt the case

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the pics i posted speak for themselves . now cooley would have been right in the previous games but Rg3's last game was much better

he still has issues sportster for sure and cooley is not wrong there but if he is focusing on the last game i would say he is mostly wrong . sure the ghosts of the past showed up like the INT but overall that wasnt the case

I have no answer to two guys who didn't play pro football knowing more than Cooley. Especially when everyone (the media and ex-NFLers) rode the Cooley train on Griffin break downs. :lol:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's obvious that every QB benefits from having time in the pocket. But that goes 10X for this QB. Is there any question that if he stood there for 4 seconds in a clean pocket, like just about every QB we face does, he would be a totally different QB? Is there also any question that of the 3 he is the ONLY QB on this roster who has a slim chance of ever being good?

I know it's probably too much to ask but if they could this guy a clean pocket for a year and allow him time to develop and gain confidence that would make a huge difference. If not be prepared to have him light us up in some other uniform in the years to come because we will obviously never have a good pass rush.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's obvious that every QB benefits from having time in the pocket. But that goes 10X for this QB. Is there any question that if he stood there for 4 seconds in a clean pocket, like just about every QB we face does, he would be a totally different QB? Is there also any question that of the 3 he is the ONLY QB on this roster who has a slim chance of ever being good?

I know it's probably too much to ask but if they could this guy a clean pocket for a year and allow him time to develop and gain confidence that would make a huge difference. If not be prepared to have him light us up in some other uniform in the years to come because we will obviously never have a good pass rush.

The problem is not just the OL, although they are bad. The problem is also RG3 not setting the pocket correctly or not using the space in the pocket. WE can upgrade the OL, but if RG3 continues to take 3 steps when he should be taking 5 or not stepping up into the pocket, it negates any good OL. In short, if RG3 is not in the pocket where he is supposed to be, it has a negative effect on the OL blocking. This is why many of the sacks that RG3 took this year were his fault.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is not just the OL, although they are bad. The problem is also RG3 not setting the pocket correctly or not using the space in the pocket. WE can upgrade the OL, but if RG3 continues to take 3 steps when he should be taking 5 or not stepping up into the pocket, it negates any good OL. In short, if RG3 is not in the pocket where he is supposed to be, it has a negative effect on the OL blocking. This is why many of the sacks that RG3 took this year were his fault.

Well it goes without saying that he needs to take a 5 step drop when the play calls for a 5 step drop. I was assuming he would at least learn this part

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Youth is on his side. Health is one of the unknowns for Robert. I do question that he is the only one of 3 QBs that can be any good, I still think Cousins has a chance. A lot of people have written him off after 8 starts while saying Griffin still has a chance after 30+ starts. I think both of those kids still have a shot at being good. I think both have a chance at being bench jocks.

$$$$ becomes the big decider, or at least could help make the decision. Griffin is due $6.75 million this year. I am not against them paying that. Not too sure I would like to see them exercise the 2016 option at $16 million. At the same time I don't have much confidence in this owner to do the things to get this team moving in the right direction so in that maybe it doesn't matter.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it goes without saying that he needs to take a 5 step drop when the play calls for a 5 step drop. I was assuming he would at least learn this part

After 3 years in the NFL and numerous more in other organized play, he hasn't. This is not a difficult concept. So I'm not sure your assumption is valid.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: the OLine gets the lions share of blame when this team really has a number of issues. TEs and RBs did not pass block well at all this year. Then add Griffins holding the ball or not setting the pocket where is should be set and you add another problem.

I think something Cooley said yesterday is sort of funny/ironic. Griffin is a pretty good QB when the play/action game is working (the Redskins are ahead or not far behind.) HE wants to be a drop back passer. Why would he want to be that when he hasn't shown any of those skills and his skills are more set to another style? It is because he fears for his health or he sees himself as something he isn't?