• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Reads

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Downloaded it for the hell of it. Never heard of it. What am I in for?
part 1 of a 10 part fantasy series by a writer that many believe to be the best out there right now. Only 2 parts are out right now, third one comes out in November.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
part 1 of a 10 part fantasy series by a writer that many believe to be the best out there right now. Only 2 parts are out right now, third one comes out in November.
107 pages into it so far (out of 1,700), and I will say it's pretty interesting. Unlike most people, I'm not huge on ASOIAF (some parts are downright fucking awesome, but others drag, and I'm just not big on the setting), and I wasn't a fan of the first LOTR book I read, and I didn't like Dune; so it's not like I'm intrinsically drawn to this type of story. Still, so far so good.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't do fiction...never seem to buy into the story. But I like a good true crime when the story isn't all bogged down by the BS mobster character stuff. Anyone who's ever known a real connected individual knows they're not like on TV.

The Sparkling Void

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Way of Kings: 5/5 stars.

My new favorite book of all time. I plan on re-reading it within the next year, as I am sure there are many parts that I missed.

Kaladin and Dalinar Kholin are two of the best characters of any book I've ever read. They are like fucking Atticus Finch, except bad-ass and a lot more more detail and character development (well, at least with Kaladain).

The ending blew my mind, as it tied everything together that I thought that I would have to read another 7 books from now, and even then I thought the explanations would be half-assed. Nope. The plot twists were also amazing, but not very far-fetched or meaningless at all (cough cough, The Sixth Sense (1.5/5 stars)).

If you haven't read this book, read it. Amazing.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My new favorite book of all time. I plan on re-reading it within the next year, as I am sure there are many parts that I missed.

Kaladin and Dalinar Kholin are two of the best characters of any book I've ever read. They are like fucking Atticus Finch, except bad-ass and a lot more more detail and character development (well, at least with Kaladain).

The ending blew my mind, as it tied everything together that I thought that I would have to read another 7 books from now, and even then I thought the explanations would be half-assed. Nope. The plot twists were also amazing, but not very far-fetched or meaningless at all (cough cough, The Sixth Sense (1.5/5 stars)).

By the end of Words of radiance I prefer Shallan to Kaladin. It is just as good of a book though. I can't wait for the 3rd one.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Glad that free download worked out for ya. The 3rd book comes out soon, I am excited to get my hands on it.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the end of Words of radiance I prefer Shallan to Kaladin. It is just as good of a book though. I can't wait for the 3rd one.

Shallan grew on me, but I still prefer Kalasin, especially with his backstory to this point.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got the Amazon audible subscription and it's the best thing for me with long drives and two little ones at home that doesn't lend a lot of time for actually turning pages. Once Oathbringer comes out, I'm sure I'll snag it up and start right away. I'm currently listening to the Mistborn trilogy and while it's good, I do prefer the Stormlight series.

I think I'll go back to the KingKiller Cronicles (only 2 out of the 3), which is another great fantasy series once I'm done with the Mistborn trilogy, then reread the first two of Stormlight prior to Oathbringer.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, you should check out The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin. Good series right there. 3rd and final book comes out this month

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad that free download worked out for ya. The 3rd book comes out soon, I am excited to get my hands on it.
Yes, thank you very much for the recommendation. Like I said, it's my favorite book of all time now.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, you should check out The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin. Good series right there. 3rd and final book comes out this month
If I get around to it, I'll check it out. I still have a shit-ton of books in my Audibles collection- Words of Radiance, It, Altered Carbon and the first Wheel of Time book just to name a few.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been trying to plow through It in audiobook form (it's 40 hours +). It's very good. Decided to marathon it because the previews for the new movie look good. Was never a big fan of the miniseries.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I get around to it, I'll check it out. I still have a shit-ton of books in my Audibles collection- Words of Radiance, It, Altered Carbon and the first Wheel of Time book just to name a few.

Don't read Wheel of Time. First handful of books were good, then a bunch of books that just dragged on, then the last few writtenbya whole different author that changes the whole tone of the books. Even at its high point, it wadd more notable because of the lack of other options. There are simply better options now than WoT.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't read Wheel of Time. First handful of books were good, then a bunch of books that just dragged on, then the last few writtenbya whole different author that changes the whole tone of the books. Even at its high point, it wadd more notable because of the lack of other options. There are simply better options now than WoT.
I've heard similar things about the middle books, with some saying they are mediocre, and others saying they are downright awful. But I've also heard that it picks up when Sanderson, the new author, takes over and begins penning the new books.

Honestly, I probably won't get around to starting it until (probably at the earliest) February 2018. I still have to get through Words of Radiance and It. But thanks for your input!

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And speaking of free Stormlight Archives...

They're releasing new chapters of book 3 every Tuesday from now until the release date on Nov 14th. They are planning on putting the full actual chapters from the book up, and by release day will have given away 1/4 of the book. The prologue and chapters 1-3 are already up as of the time of this post.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard similar things about the middle books, with some saying they are mediocre, and others saying they are downright awful. But I've also heard that it picks up when Sanderson, the new author, takes over and begins penning the new books.

Honestly, I probably won't get around to starting it until (probably at the earliest) February 2018. I still have to get through Words of Radiance and It. But thanks for your input!

I know a bunch of people that checkedout after book 5 or so because it slows down a lot. Brandon Sanderson taking over picks up the pace a bit, he was under instructions to wrap it up. The pace picks up a lot. No more 12 pages talking about what everyone was wearing and how spicy the food was.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone ever read anything from John O'Hara? He is widely regarded as one of the greatest writers of the 20th Century, and certainly the most underrated. I read "Appointment in Samarra" about a year ago and gave it 3/5 stars. It wasn't perfect but it wasn't awful either; the premise and intro were actually rather intriguing. Other parts dragged. To a degree, it's plot and thematic content paralleled "The Great Gatsby."