• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Reads

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apologies if there are other threads like this...I ghosted back 4 pages of this forum & didn't notice any.

AOL Politics Forums, 2002...chat subject was "Favorite Reads"...I had posted that my lifelong preference for Science Fiction was superseded only by my enjoyment of Historical Fiction (MICHENER, CLAVELL, etc)...another poster suggested I pick up a copy of PATRICK O'BRIAN'S Master and Commander/1969 - the first of a twenty-volume series (taking place during the Napoleonic Wars.)

I took his advice and have been indebted to him ever since...and, as a way of expressing my gratitude, have been passing along the suggestion to anybody I can. O'BRIAN'S work is, imo, sublime magnificence rendered in ink! (I just cracked #19 for the third time in the past nine years...the 'voyage' is nearing another bittersweet conclusion.)

so...I figure if I was unaware of a treasure like O'BRIAN for 30 years, there are probably bookoo other treasures yet to discover. I'd appreciate hearing what author, book, series -whatever- you might suggest? And it really doesn't matter what the subject is (Sports, Bios, History, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, whatever)...a good read is a good read, right?

:suds:

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michener...Sweeping sagas that make history come alive

Live in the Southwest? You're missing one of the great joys of life if you've not read MICHENER'S Texas/1985 and Mexico/1992.
Northeast? Centennial/1974 and Chesapeake/1978.
Northwest? Alaska/1988.
Anywhere? Hawaii/1959, Space/1982, Caribbean/1989.

I've reveled in them all (and more) since I was a kid...listening to mom read Hawaii and Tales of the South Pacific/1947 to me at bedtime. James Michener is unparalleled at blending captivating stories with fascinating history. His best work, the most interesting, imo, is also one of his least known works: The Source/1965...if you've never read Michener, try The Source first - if you don't like it, you probably won't like any of the others (even if you live in Texas.)

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Michener is probably my favorite author......not that he's the greatest writer, just that his books are so damn interesting and informative. I agree that The Source is probably the best one of all, that single book gave me a huge respect for judaism that I'd never previously had, not to mention just how incredibly good it was. Another I loved that you didn't mention was Poland, a place I knew very little about. Alaska, Chesapeake, Hawaii - all incredible. All the "place" books are amazing, some of his other stuff a bit less so.

Reactions: H2S

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm reading some really good Sci-Fi right now, the Chung Kuo series by David Wingrove. Huge series of books about a future where the Chinese have taken over the world and built giant indoor cities over the whole thing. Had read them a long time ago, but he went back and re-did the whole series, adding some books, redoing some of the stories - another of my favorites.

Few more of my top books - Confederacy of Dunces (absurd, hilarious comedy), The Great Game (non-fiction history of Brits & Russians competing for Central Asia), Guns Germs and Steel (just fundamental knowledge).

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michener is probably my favorite author......not that he's the greatest writer, just that his books are so damn interesting and informative. I agree that The Source is probably the best one of all, that single book gave me a huge respect for judaism that I'd never previously had, not to mention just how incredibly good it was. Another I loved that you didn't mention was Poland, a place I knew very little about. Alaska, Chesapeake, Hawaii - all incredible. All the "place" books are amazing, some of his other stuff a bit less so.

He also wrote Iberia/1968...damn thing's a 'travel guide' that you just can't put down...Fodor ain't in it! I like The Source not so much for it's primary theme (growth of Judaism) but for urging the reader to try learning more by digging ever deeper...if that makes sense (but I think you know what I mean.)

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading some really good Sci-Fi right now, the Chung Kuo series by David Wingrove. Huge series of books about a future where the Chinese have taken over the world and built giant indoor cities over the whole thing. Had read them a long time ago, but he went back and re-did the whole series, adding some books, redoing some of the stories - another of my favorites.

Few more of my top books - Confederacy of Dunces (absurd, hilarious comedy), The Great Game (non-fiction history of Brits & Russians competing for Central Asia), Guns Germs and Steel (just fundamental knowledge).

bueno! re: WINGROVE...looks promising...and, best of all, I've never heard of him. Interesting, that one of my absolute favorite Sci-Fi authors - VERNOR VINGE - had the Qeng Ho trading society dominating much of the galaxy millennia into the future. His two books, A Fire Upon the Deep/1992 and it's prequel A Deepness In the Sky/1999 (haha) are nothing short of transcendent. Gots to agree re: KENNEDY'S Dunces...wonderful stuff.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apologies if there are other threads like this...I ghosted back 4 pages of this forum & didn't notice any.

AOL Politics Forums, 2002...chat subject was "Favorite Reads"...I had posted that my lifelong preference for Science Fiction was superseded only by my enjoyment of Historical Fiction (MICHENER, CLAVELL, etc)...another poster suggested I pick up a copy of PATRICK O'BRIAN'S Master and Commander/1969 - the first of a twenty-volume series (taking place during the Napoleonic Wars.)

I took his advice and have been indebted to him ever since...and, as a way of expressing my gratitude, have been passing along the suggestion to anybody I can. O'BRIAN'S work is, imo, sublime magnificence rendered in ink! (I just cracked #19 for the third time in the past nine years...the 'voyage' is nearing another bittersweet conclusion.)

so...I figure if I was unaware of a treasure like O'BRIAN for 30 years, there are probably bookoo other treasures yet to discover. I'd appreciate hearing what author, book, series -whatever- you might suggest? And it really doesn't matter what the subject is (Sports, Bios, History, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, whatever)...a good read is a good read, right?

As I prefer to read books over watching movies I know how wrong this is, but is Master and Commander what the Russell Crowe movie was based on?

IDK how far back you go, but in Historical Fiction I just finished the last in the Marius Mules series by S J A Turney. Only 5 books so far, but more to come about a group of generals fighting under Ceaser.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another one is the Starbuck chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. Only 4 books that end after Gettysburg because the Author felt it was becoming too much like another of his series. but a very enjoyable read about the Civil War.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He also wrote Iberia/1968...damn thing's a 'travel guide' that you just can't put down...Fodor ain't in it

Sheesh....you know what? Now that you mention that book, I remembered that I own that and never actually read it. Bought it at a used bookstore but must have lost it somewhere around the house. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to find that. I remember the first few pages about him describing some boats and loading docks and getting onshore...that's as far as I made it!

I'll have to look into that Vernon Vinge, sounds interesting.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I prefer to read books over watching movies I know how wrong this is, but is Master and Commander what the Russell Crowe movie was based on¹?

IDK how far back you go, but in Historical Fiction I just finished the last in the Marius Mules series by S J A Turney². Only 5 books so far, but more to come about a group of generals fighting under Ceaser.

Another one is the Starbuck chronicles by Bernard Cornwell³. Only 4 books that end after Gettysburg because the Author felt it was becoming too much like another of his series. but a very enjoyable read about the Civil War.

¹ yes, the movie is loosely based on #10 of the series (The Far Side of the World/1984) with elements of several others thrown in by Hollywood. Just the same, I actually like the movie - as it very accurately captures (and is loyal to) O'BRIAN'S characters and story tempo. I cannot recommend this massive series highly enough...it's daunting, for sure (like deciding to bike across America) but goes all too quickly once the 'voyage' gets under way.

² cool beans, thank you...I'll check TURNEY out...I love stuff about the ancient world. Speaking of which, give JACK WHYTE'S 'Camulod' series (first book: The Skystone/1992) a serious look-see...it's another of my faves.

³ dang, what's with all these British authors and their awesome historical-fiction series? CORNWELL looks really good too, I'll give him a try.

thanks for playing...keep on reading!

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheesh....you know what? Now that you mention that book, I remembered that I own that and never actually read it. Bought it at a used bookstore but must have lost it somewhere around the house. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to find that. I remember the first few pages about him describing some boats and loading docks and getting onshore...that's as far as I made it!

I'll have to look into that Vernon Vinge, sounds interesting.

bwahahaha! I did the exact same thing with Iberia. He goes way deep into bullfighting (much like he did in Mexico, but without the fictional surround). btw, a 'travel writer' (BILL BRYSON) wrote a vastly entertaining/informative book on Science (A Short History of Everything/2003) that, imo, deserves top shelf status in every reader's library.

and VINGE? holy shit, GET BOTH BOOKS NOW! read the prequel (written 7 years after the sequel, haha) first. The scope and scale (galactic history over billions of years) is matched (almost) only by BRIN'S "Uplift" series for audaciously believable, beyond-the-pale Sci-Fi.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can anyone who loves prose, not love this shit?

- from pg.23, vol.19; The Hundred Days/1998...

A LITTLE BEFORE the evening gun Preserved Killick, Captain Aubrey's steward, an ill-faced, ill-tempered, meagre, atrabilious, shrewish man who kept his officer's uniform, equipment and silver in a state of exact, old-maidish order come wind or high water, and who did the same for Aubrey's close friend and companion Dr. Stephen Maturin, or even more so, since in the Doctor's case Killick added a fretful nursemaid quality to his service, as though Maturin were "not quite exactly" a fully intelligent being, approached Stephen's cabin. It is true that in the community of mariners the "not quite exactly" opinion was widely held; for although Stephen could now tell the difference between starboard and larboard, it still called for some reflection: and it marked the limit of his powers. This general view, however, in no way affected their deep respect for him as a medical man: his work with a trephine or a saw, sometimes carried out on open deck for the sake of the light, excited universal admiration, and it was said that if he chose, and if the tide were still making, he could save you although you were already three parts dead and mouldy. Furthermore, a small half of one of his boluses would blow the backside off a bullock. The placebo effect of this reputation had indeed preserved many a sadly shattered sailor, and he was much caressed aboard. A little before the evening gun, therefore, Preserved Killick walked into Stephen's cabin and...

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catch-22 if you can

no book in my library is more dog-eared, frayed and spinally-separated - nor more appreciated - than my old paperback edition of JOSEPH HELLER'S cynical, dark-humored masterpiece: Catch-22/1961.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
"That's some catch, that catch-22," he observed.
"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

What is a country? A country is a piece of land surrounded on all sides by boundaries, usually unnatural. Englishmen are dying for England, Americans are dying for America, Germans are dying for Germany, Russians are dying for Russia. There are now fifty or sixty countries fighting in this war. Surely so many counties can't all be worth dying for.

The chaplain had mastered, in a moment of divine intuition, the handy technique of protective rationalization, and he was exhilarated by his discovery. It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.

Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.

Colonel Cathcart was indefatigable that way, an industrious, intense, dedicated military tactician who calculated day and night in the service of himself.

But I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

I'd like to see the government get out of war altogether and leave the whole field to private industry.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Heh.....of course Catch-22 is on the top of my list, but it almost goes without saying. Has a claim to being the best book ever, just perfect-10s across the board in quality writing, poignancy, originality, comedy, everything.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
random, top-of-head great sci-fi reads...

Childhood's End/1953...ARTHUR C. CLARKE. Things don't always end the way you wish them to.

Slow Sculpture/1970...THEODORE STURGEON. A short story that will change the way you view change.

The Dosadi Experiment/1977...FRANK HERBERT. Should be required reading in every Poli-Sci class.

The Stars My Destination/1956...ALFRED BESTER. Meet Gulley Foyle; learn the meaning of "Quant Suff."

Stand on Zanzibar/1968...JOHN BRUNNER. Huge, prophetic, brilliant...where we're headed, where we're at.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heading down to the Book Nook tomorrow...

just finished off #20 (Blue at the Mizzen)...<sigh>...the voyage is over, again.

gonna pick up everything I can find by CORNWELL, TURNEY and WINGROVE...thanks again guys!

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes a great notion -- Ken Kesey

The Stranger -- Albert Camus

The Brothers Karamazov -- Dostoyevsky

The Adventures of Augie March -- Saul Bellow

The Rosy Crucifixion (Sexus, Plexus, Nexus) -- Henry Miller

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for playing, BB...good stuff there.

Decided against hitting the Book Nook today. Found my copy of BRYSON'S "A Short History of Nearly Everything" and am now once again, immersed in wonder.

Bryson's a very successful travel writer - not a scientist. "History" is a science book, marvelously written in travelers' vernacular for those most of us who are not scientists either. It deals with the 'evolution' of scientific understanding on everything from the Big Bang to Elementary Physics to the environmental impact of Lead Additives in gasoline - all in a way that both entertains and enlightens the reader (what more can you ask for?)

“Consider the fact that for 3.8 billion years, a period of time older than the Earth’s mountains and rivers and oceans, every one of your forebears on both sides has been attractive enough to find a mate, healthy enough to reproduce, and sufficiently blessed by fate and circumstances to live long enough to do so. Not one of your pertinent ancestors was squashed, devoured, drowned, starved, stuck fast, untimely wounded or otherwise deflected from its life’s quest of delivering a tiny charge of genetic material to the right partner at the right moment to perpetuate the only possible sequence of hereditary combinations that could result - eventually, astoundingly, and all too briefly - in you.”

“Incidentally, disturbance from cosmic background radiation is something we have all experienced. Tune your television to any channel it doesn't receive, and about 1 percent of the dancing static you see is accounted for by this ancient remnant of the Big Bang. The next time you complain that there is nothing on, remember that you can always watch the birth of the universe.”

“Your pillow alone may be home to 40 million bed mites. (To them your head is just one large oily bon-bon). And don't think a clean pillow-case will make a difference... Indeed, if your pillow is six years old--which is apparently about the average age for a pillow--it has been estimated that one-tenth of its weight will be made up of sloughed skin, living mites, dead mites and mite dung.”

"If this book has a lesson, it is that we are awfully lucky to be here-- and by "we" I mean every living thing. To attain any kind of life in this universe of ours appears to be quite an achievement. As humans we are doubly lucky, of course: We enjoy not only the privilege of existence but also the singular ability to appreciate it and even, in a multitude of ways, to make it better. It is a talent we have only barely begun to grasp.
We have arrived at this position of eminence in a stunningly short time. Behaviorally modern human beings-- that is, people who can speak and make art and organize complex activities-- have existed for only about 0.0001 percent of Earth's history. But surviving for even that little while has required a nearly endless string of good fortune.
We really are at the beginning of it all. The trick, of course, is to make sure we never find the end. And that, almost certainly, will require a good deal more than lucky breaks.”

Debates, Discussion re: Religion/Science, here and everywhere, would be so much richer if everybody had read Bryson before joining-in.

Last edited by a moderator:

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not prophecy, but the coincidence is astonishing...

I mentioned JOHN BRUNNER'S incredible 1968 work Stand On Zanzibar earlier. Sci-Fi that takes place in the 'near future' of 2010. There is a President of a country (that may hold the only hope left in the world) who is half black/half white, named...get this...OBOMI.

:shocked:

There is also a character named Chad Mulligan, a sociologist, whose biting commentary appears throughout the novel. Here's a smattering:

Fighting in an army is a psychotic condition encouraged by a rule-of-thumb psychological technique discovered independently by every son-of-a-bitch conqueror who ever brought a backward people out of a comfortable, civilized state of nonentity (Chaka Zulu, Attila, Bismark, etc.) and started them slaughtering their neighbors. I don't approve of people who encourage psychoses in their fellow human beings. You probably do. Cure yourself of that habit.

PapaHegel he say that all we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history. I know people who can’t even learn from what happened this morning. Hegel must have been taking the long view.

True, you're not a slave. You're worse off than that by a long, long way. You're a predatory beast shut up in a cage of which the bars aren't fixed, solid objects you can gnaw at or in despair batter against with your head until you get punch-drunk and stop worrying. No, those bars are the competing members of your own species, at least as cunning as you on average, forever shifting around so you can't pin them down, liable to get in your way without the least warning, disorienting your personal environment until you want to grab a gun or an axe and turn mucker. (this is in essence why people do that.)

*****. Member of a subgroup of the human race who hails, or whose ancestors hailed, from a chunk of land nicknamed -not by its residents- Africa. Superior to the Caucasian in that negroes did not invent nuclear weapons, the automobile, Christianity, nerve gas, concentration camps, military epidemics or the megalopolis.

LEADERSHIP. A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with autodestructive
imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch it'll be someone else's bones which go crack and not their own.

This very distinguished philosophy professor came out on the platform in front of this gang of students and took a bit of chalk and scrawled up a proposition in symbolic logic on the board. He turned to the audience and said, 'Well now ladies and gentlemen, I think you'll agree that that's obvious?' Then he looked at it a bit more and started to scratch his head and after a while he said, 'Excuse me!' And he disappeared. About half an hour later he came back beaming all over his face and said triumphantly, 'Yes, I was right - it IS obvious!'

Stand On Zanzibar is as good as it gets...Get It!

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Death of Georgia Buckfast Tallon

"Come to the point, you fool!"

"Yes ma'am." The man wiped his face with the back of his hand. "All those other programmes were run on a hypothetical basis, the entire group of assumptions being 'given' and derived from our own researches. What we've done now is to switch over the optimum programme, the one we've decided to put into practice, so that it enters Shalmaneser's real-world consciousness and interacts with everything else he knows about the world."

"And...?"

"He's rejected it out of hand, ma'am. Says it's absurd."

Black fury flooded up from the bottom of Old GT's mind, engulfing first her belly, where it made her guts seem to twist into knots and pull tight, then her lungs, which gasped air and strained to fill with gases suddenly turned pitch, then her heart, which thundered and battered at her ribs as though it would break out of its cage, her throat and tongue which grew stiff, cracking like old dry paper folded and pressed, and at last her brain, which composed the thought:

"!!!!!!!!"

"Get the doc!" someone said.

"Xx xxx xx," said someone else.

"_________"

". . . . ."

" "