• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Exhaust modifications

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've had my New Tundra a little over a month, and I'm really glad i stepped up to the 5.7L engine. I didn't lose hardly any gas mileage and it actually handles certain drives better than the smaller 4.6 I used to have. The added power is nice too. I'm wanting to get a nicer sound out of the exhaust though. The truck looks pretty bad ass, it should sound bad ass. One shop suggested I go to an 18" 2 in 1 out magnaflow muffler, but I've heard of people complaining about the droning noise at certain RPM's. I would like to avoid that. I also don't want to affect my gas mileage negatively. Any input you guys can offer would be great.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've had my New Tundra a little over a month, and I'm really glad i stepped up to the 5.7L engine. I didn't lose hardly any gas mileage and it actually handles certain drives better than the smaller 4.6 I used to have. The added power is nice too. I'm wanting to get a nicer sound out of the exhaust though. The truck looks pretty bad ass, it should sound bad ass. One shop suggested I go to an 18" 2 in 1 out magnaflow muffler, but I've heard of people complaining about the droning noise at certain RPM's. I would like to avoid that. I also don't want to affect my gas mileage negatively. Any input you guys can offer would be great.

If you REALLY want to get a good sound and actually gain power then you are going to have to run basically a header system. No "cat-back" or similar system is going to do more than give you a little noise. Personally, I'm a fan of Borla systems. I have no idea what packages they offer for newer cars and trucks, but I have always found that they give a better "throaty" sound than magnaflow or flowmaster or any of those systems. Even with a big engine those later systems still sounds like a swarm of bees to me. If you want good sound that doesn't really affect you as the driver then a system a buddy had used Borla with a side exhaust. It had a slim rectangle exhaust that exited just in front of the rear passenger tire. The great thing about that was where it sat it was pretty much protected from damage while rock crawling or offroading. All of us that had rear exhaust, either straight out the back or offset 45 degrees (basically the corners of the truck bed) would end up getting the tips flattened as we bottomed out.

Doing a full mainfold/header back system would probably affect your emissions setup though, so keep that in mind. If you did a single muffler that splits out it won't sound as good but probably wouldn't require any O2 adapters or changing your cats out.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind keeping my single pipe.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Youtube is your friend here while trying to get an idea of the sound of different exhaust systems. You may have to listen to a bunch, because some of them will be crap, but look out for the manufacturers pages specifically. Any Magnaflow or Flowmaster muffler on a Tundra will be on Youtube.

You could go the custom exhaust route, but without hearing one in person, I'd look for a company like Corsa or Borla and at least get an idea of what sounds you want.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibson also makes some decent sounding single exhausts.
They claim to make more torque as well.

I believe the 5.7 Toyota comes with factory headers.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start by just cutting the muffler off.
If that's too loud, then move to a straight thru muffler.
F35942002.jpg

If that's too loud, then a high performance/high flow muffler.

They even have mufflers for the very end of the system like this.

s-l225.jpg

Does your truck have true dual exhausts now??
Or is it 2 in 1 out.
or 2 in 2 out.

I'd do true dual exhausts myself with some kind of X pipe.
upload_2016-3-11_9-35-12.jpeg

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's two in one out.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's two in one out.

Then I'd see about true dual exhausts with the X pipe and 2 high flow mufflers.
Get some increased Horsepower and sound.

Probably need to see if it would void any warranties.

I have no idea what that would cost nowadays.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like my little one toke pipe too....

But I've never understood hot-rodding a truck.

No offense meant of course.

Not looking to hot rod it. Would just like a little nicer tone.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had flowmaster 44s on my f150 and it droned pretty bad. I didn't notice it much but my wife pointed it out pretty often.

Borla is a good sounding muffler. I had borla on my mustang but I also had cat deletes, headers and x-pipe which made it loud with no drone but kind of raspy. romping on the gas pedal under bridges...holy sheet!

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last exhaust modifications I did was on a Pontiac I had way back when.
Sounded pretty much like this.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far I've left it alone. I can't decide if I want to mess with it or not.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far I've left it alone. I can't decide if I want to mess with it or not.

I think that's a good call. :thumb:
Live with it for a while to see if the stock set up works for you.
You can always do something different later.