• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

El Toro Splits

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just remembered that Alvarez signed that revised contract... 4 year major league deal with options for 2 additional seasons based on whether or not he is arbitration ready...

I will have to go look to see, but I am hoping that he is not going to be able to file for arbitration after this year... that way the option automatically kicks in if I remember it is reasonable... something like 1.4 million...

Okay I went and looked it up... it is 1.63 million... and as long as Pedro cannot become a super two...

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just remembered that Alvarez signed that revised contract... 4 year major league deal with options for 2 additional seasons based on whether or not he is arbitration ready...

I will have to go look to see, but I am hoping that he is not going to be able to file for arbitration after this year... that way the option automatically kicks in if I remember it is reasonable... something like 1.4 million...

Okay I went and looked it up... it is 1.63 million... and as long as Pedro cannot become a super two...

So knowing this I can now deduse that Pedro has zero value in a trade, thanks for ruining my day.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Etrius Alert

... Because the Pirates will be on year 4 of Pedro in 2013...and he will be a free agent come 2015....after the season that is...

Wrong. See last paragraph below.

Just to clear things up a bit, and to provide a couple of references:

According to COT's and Baseball Reference, Alvarez had 1 year and 85 days of service time at the beginning of the 2012 season.

Pittsburgh Pirates | Cot's Baseball Contracts (scroll down to Alvarez)

Pedro Alvarez Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Hence, if he remains with the Pirates for the entire 2012 season, he will have 2 years and 85 days of service time at the end of 2012, and will NOT be eligible for arbitration as a super-two after the 2012 season.

Assuming Alvarez spends no more time in the minors, he will be eligible for arbitration for 2014, since his service time at the end of the 2013 season will be 3 years and 85 days.

A player needs a total of 6 years of major league service time (on the 25-man roster) to become a free agent. Assuming no more time in the minor leagues, Alvarez will achieve 6 years of major league service time during the 2016 season, and thus he will become a free agent for the 2017 season.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So pedro is in the middle of another good streak. Im not afraid to talk about it because i am not superstitious.

What do we think about his june? Batting 280 almost, obp of 360. Hes hitting a few homeruns, a few doubles. Is this a month that he is capable of repeating? Did anyone notice anything - any changes? All i can remember from the start of the hot stretch was a quote from hurdle about having a consistent approach. Id like to believe that he has coached himself into having better at bats but the pessimist in me suspects that hes just getting a little bit better luck.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So pedro is in the middle of another good streak. Im not afraid to talk about it because i am not superstitious.

What do we think about his june? Batting 280 almost, obp of 360. Hes hitting a few homeruns, a few doubles. Is this a month that he is capable of repeating? Did anyone notice anything - any changes? All i can remember from the start of the hot stretch was a quote from hurdle about having a consistent approach. Id like to believe that he has coached himself into having better at bats but the pessimist in me suspects that hes just getting a little bit better luck.

Anecdotally, it seems to me that Pedro is making more contact during ab's when he is hot, as he is able to foul off some pitches to stay alive, and get a better pitch later in the ab. He has much better plate coverage when he is hot, and looks more balanced. I don't know if it will last, but I certainly wouldn't call it luck.

Just looking at his splits, his k's are down in June and his bb's are up (28.6k% and 10.4 bb%). Seems like the best indicator statistically to see if he is actually having good ab's.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You just had to say he was hot, didn't you? :rolleyes:

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
pedro has so much power.
that was a 70% swing with minimal follow through and he jacks a liner down the line.

his transfer and speed through the zone was awesome.

maybe just cutting down his swing to make more contact is what he is doing.
i dont see him much, but much easier swing than in the early part of year.

still seems like he isnt stepping into the pitch and that he pulls off down the right field line. wish he would have weight and lean toward the mound and drive it up the middle more with his body. but he does seem to be improving and that is great for his age.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I still want to see more out of Pedro, there is something very encouraging happening with him right now.

His OBP continues to rise without the help of batting average, which has kept his OPS about the same (a respectable .783 right now) despite decreasing slugging due to a lower home run rate.

He's drawing walks. Seven in his last seven games have certainly helped, but it seems like he's worked counts more effectively as the season has progressed. If he keeps drawing walks like this, if the average ever climbs into that .250-.270 range we all hope for at the least from him, he'll likely have a very nice OBP in the .340-.360 range to go along with his power, and an OPS consistently north of .800 over the next few years.

Of course there are a lot of if's there, but a player of his pedigree and talent should turn more of those if's into when's than not.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Pedro.

Simply wow.

And that batting average is starting to get very close to .250 now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did someone ask for a Pedro hot streak?

What a game he's having!

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I liked it when he said "and this is a TITANIC SHOT!"

Honestly - wow. He put a hurt on it.
Yeah Pedro is having himself a decent season. The kind of season he can build on hopefully.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked it when he said "and this is a TITANIC SHOT!"

Honestly - wow. He put a hurt on it.
Yeah Pedro is having himself a decent season. The kind of season he can build on hopefully.

He's certainly been giving us a lot more than any of our other third basemen in recent memory.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think my favorite part has been the last three months where his batting average was .262, .253, and now .301 in August.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my favorite part has been the last three months where his batting average was .262, .253, and now .301 in August.

I'm also fond of his 15.3% walk rate in August. :) I'm pretty sure this is the best month of his career in terms of just getting on base.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesnt have to improve very much over the next couple years to be the best third baseman in the nl.