• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

El Birdos 2014

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost that time when the grass is cut, the leather smells fresh and even Cubs fans haven't given up. Let's get the Cardinals conversations rolling!

2 days until Pitchers and Catchers report
7 days until Full Squad reports
18 days until the first Spring Training game
49 days until we open the regular season in Cincy

I'll start with the rotation. Obviously Waino will start opening day pending something unforeseen. Shelby is a lock as a starter as is Garcia if he's healthy. That leaves 2 spots for Lynn, Kelly, Wacha and lil Pedro.

My prediction: Waino, Shelby, Garcia, Wacha, Lynn. Kelly to the bullpen and Martinez to Memphis. At some point someone will get hurt and being able to turn to Martinez at that point will be nice.

Others to watch: Tyler Lyons and John Gast

Viva El Birdos!

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shelby and Garcia are the two question marks. Shelby was shut down last year for some reason. Garcia has all the potential, but potential only gets you so far. With Rosenthal as the closer I would love to see Martinez stretched out for a starter

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shelby had an inning limit similar to the 1 on Strasburg. In 2012 he threw 150.1 innings between Memphis and the big club. Add 20% to that, which is generally the max you want to increase your career high inning count by, and you're at 180. They shut him down slightly before that as he finished with 173.1. I really see no question mark here because they handled him pretty much how I expected. They used him up during the regular season and slowed Wacha down so he would be available in October.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention Shelby's high pitch count meant his innings weren't the easiest innings on the arm.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction: Waino, Shelby, Garcia, Wacha, Lynn. Kelly to the bullpen and Martinez to Memphis. At some point someone will get hurt and being able to turn to Martinez at that point will be nice.

Others to watch: Tyler Lyons and John Gast
Waino obviously a lock. Shelby, Kelly, Wacha, Lynn.

Martinez in the bullpen. Garcia to Memphis until healthy. Lynn is probably on the block. I could see Martinez starting at some point but probably not this year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not going to rule out the possibility that Lynn is the #2 guy when the season starts, either. His ERA has been sub 3.00 during the first 2 months of the past 2 seasons, IIRC.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton, I agree that Lynn is on the block too and think Kelly may be as well. It's possible that Garcia won't be ready for April 1 but whenever he is a starting role is his, also I've heard positive reports on his health so thats optimistic.

I don't really look at order in the pitching staff, if I was to put them in the order to pitch I'd probably go Waino, Shelby, Garcia, Wacha, Lynn simply because I wouldn't want to 2 young guys pitching back to back. Both could have low inning games because young pitchers tend to hit rough spots.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly was put up against the best pitchers in baseball last year in some of the highest pressure situations. Obviously he is still really young but he has earned his place. I do see your point with the bullpen. Waino is known for going deep in games and Kelly often doesn't go deep. Waino, Kelly, Lynn, Wacha, Shelby might be the lineup from the start. Regardless, the Cardinals should have the advantage almost every night when it comes to starting pitching. Its the bats Im worried about

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our only disagreement on Kelly is my assumption that Garcia will be there and your's that he won't. If he is either Kelly or Lynn will have to go to the bullpen. My choice would be Kelly because Lynn is an inning eater.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our only disagreement on Kelly is my assumption that Garcia will be there and your's that he won't. If he is either Kelly or Lynn will have to go to the bullpen. My choice would be Kelly because Lynn is an inning eater.
All I know is that I saw Kelly and Wacha win against Clayton Kershaw last year. I'm also under the assumption that Garcia might be in the doghouse a bit for concealing his injury in the playoffs the year before last. I could be wrong.

Garcia is important because he has so much movement, he pitches well in STL, and he is a lefty. It sounds like he is healthy and if thats the case then he should get the nod. Lynn is my least favorite of the starters but when he is on, he is one of the best.

It all sounds like a healthy competition. The Cardinals are blessed to be in this situation.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're refering to the NCLS Wacha beat Kershaw twice. Kelly went 0-1 in that series pitching twice against Greinke. He went 11 innings giving up 6 runs in the 2 starts combined. As a post season starter he has a 4.15 ERA.

Not that this has anything to do with me thinking he goes to the bullpen but I found it interesting.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're refering to the NCLS Wacha beat Kershaw twice. Kelly went 0-1 in that series pitching twice against Greinke. He went 11 innings giving up 6 runs in the 2 starts combined. As a post season starter he has a 4.15 ERA.

Not that this has anything to do with me thinking he goes to the bullpen but I found it interesting.
Kelly beat Kershaw during the season when LA was really hot.

MLB.com Gameday | cardinals.com: Gameday

I could see him being the odd man out but its still too early to tell. My friend who is pretty hardcore into the Cards said that he wouldn't be shocked if it was Wacha being the odd man out just because of how little experience he has.

Last edited by a moderator:

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Wacha being left out and slowed down for the first few months to make sure his arm isn't dead by October.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any thoughts on this Aledmys Diaz fella?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much playing time do you see Bourjos having this season? Is it ideally an everyday CF/leadoff situation? Or more platoon with Jay and awaiting Oscar?

O/U 440 at bats?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much playing time do you see Bourjos having this season? Is it ideally an everyday CF/leadoff situation? Or more platoon with Jay and awaiting Oscar?

O/U 440 at bats?
My personal opinion is that Jay has a good glove but limited range. Ideally, Bourjos would be an everyday CF and Jay would be the replacement utility guy with pinch hitting/running skills. The Cardinals are going to try and win now so I see Bourjos and even Jay getting the nod over Oscar this year. When Oscar Taveras plays, I suspect it'll be in moderation and he'll be in right field and they'll move Craig to first base and Adams to pinch hitter/day off.

All of this sounds like the Cardinals have a trade in them at some point but only if Wong doesn't work out.

So..over pending health.

Flag hunter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bourjos and Jay probably a platoon situation? Oscar Tavares looks like he is a year away still from impacting the roster. As for rotation, Waino, Lynn, Miller, Wacha, and Kelly or Martinez, and I!me thinking it's going to be Carlos